Disney to charge for Fastpass

Nemo14

I wonder how many people posting on this topic went to the parks, as an older teen/adult so your memory of an event is more accurate, in the days before FP?

I did, which is why I like FP. ;) I would make the trip hoping to see the latest or my favorite attraction, but would be deterred by long lines. I'd have to keep checking back every couple of hours to see if the line was any shorter.

Riding a mountain twice in a row, or in a day, wasn't possible except under rare circumstances, in the very slow season. (Which doesn't exist anymore.)

Quite frankly, none of us are entitled to a WDW vacation, and as others have stated, they'll keep on raising the price until people stop coming because it's perceived as too expensive for what they get, then Disney will cut prices or add incentives to lure them back again.

If I had people lining up to purchase my product, despite constantly raising prices, why would I lower prices until I notice the demand falling? There are so many other important areas where the price is going up; why are people so concerned about a luxury item?

Believe it or not (and I know this is heresy) you can survive without Disney. :lookaroun
Excellent post Marcia! I remember those days well.

As long as people will pay the outrageous prices, why would the "Powers That Be" not charge them? The only way this is going to change is when people start discovering that there is a whole other "world" out there that is worth saving up to visit and enjoy!

RiversideBunny

I haven't read every post in this thread but what about the idea of Fast Pass for those people staying on property?

I hope that WDW keeps the FastPass system free to all park guests and that they administer it properly and also allow the computer system to issue only so many FastPasses per hour.

If, however, WDW is looking to increase revenue then they may consider having FastPass as a ticket add-on, similar to Park Hopper. The guest buys a base ticket and then adds on the FastPass option.
Viola ! More revenue.

That could be what they are considering.

IMHO
:)

Brian Noble

I thought the idea behind Disneyland and Disneyworld was to be a magical place where families could spend time enjoying the attractions together.
That's the public line. The real reason was twofold: (a) promote the studio's movies, and (b) make money. Any reasonably competent Walt biography or book on company history will make this clear.

(Oh, and the TV show? Its job was to promote the park and the studio's releases.)

LudwigVonDrake

^ Walt also respected his audience and NEVER talked down to them. He was also a stickler for cleanliness and attractions working.

As long as Disney has people willing to shell out the cash for vacations to their resorts WHY should they lower prices. They should do everything they can to maximize their revenues. For the one person who can't/won't pay higher prices, there's someone else who is willing. If you remember the slump after 9/11, Disney gave GREAT offers to get people to the parks (I remember getting 7 nights for the price of 4). We won't see that again unless the bottom COMPLETELY falls out of the travel market.

My suggestion would be to make Fast Pass a perk or even add the price to your package for those people staying on property. It might even be an impetus for some people to choose to stay in a Disney resort vs. off property. Thus more money for the Disney company.

Just my two cents.

sknydave

Why in the WORLD would Florida regulate theme park pricing? I guess they should regulate how much Sony wants to sell Playstations for? Or how much a cruise should cost?

You do realize what you are suggesting, right?

Susan Savia

We have never used the Fast Pass system. As our travels to the World are always in the winter we have found either no lines or short waits and I use that time in line for jotting down trip notes and info for my trip report later.

We were in line for Buzz Lightyear this past winter and people were one after another going quickly up the Fast Pass line and I wondered how a CM could actualy be checking all of their tickets for time. Or just the fact their holding a Fast Pass - is that good enough?

I think its a good idea actually, if it is used properly and if just so many are issued per hour. This way if you come into the park at 4pm and try to get one their not all gone hours ago...

Next Trip - January 2009

dwightshrutefan

They have to have funding for the new attractions.

Monsters Inc, Cars, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast.

Busch Gardens did this, they made a pass where you could go to the front of every line once, for 24 dollars.

Then a few months later, they announce Elmo World or whatever, coming to the park!

scpergj

I wonder how many people posting on this topic went to the parks, as an older teen/adult so your memory of an event is more accurate, in the days before FP?

I did, which is why I like FP. ;) I would make the trip hoping to see the latest or my favorite attraction, but would be deterred by long lines. I'd have to keep checking back every couple of hours to see if the line was any shorter.

Riding a mountain twice in a row, or in a day, wasn't possible except under rare circumstances, in the very slow season. (Which doesn't exist anymore.)

Quite frankly, none of us are entitled to a WDW vacation, and as others have stated, they'll keep on raising the price until people stop coming because it's perceived as too expensive for what they get, then Disney will cut prices or add incentives to lure them back again.

If I had people lining up to purchase my product, despite constantly raising prices, why would I lower prices until I notice the demand falling? There are so many other important areas where the price is going up; why are people so concerned about a luxury item?

Believe it or not (and I know this is heresy) you can survive without Disney. :lookaroun

The Wisdom of The Mom!

I actually do remember as an adult before fastpass. I've lived here since the late 70's, and remember not only no fastpasses, I remember an off season!

In the winter of 1982 (probably late January or early February), my middle school band took a trip to the Magic Kingdom...we didn't play or anything, it was just for fun. It was cold, kind of rainy, and EMPTY! We (my friends and I) rode Space Mountain 8 times in a row - got in line, followed the que, rode the ride (two to a seat, one on the other's lap, don't remember if there was a belt then or not), got out, back in line...you get the idea!

I also remember waiting in line for over an hour (I don't remember exactly, but I know it was over an hour...I had a Mickey watch!) for 20,000 Leagues - probably around 1980 or so.

Your last statement - about being able to survive without Disney - has gotten me in plenty of trouble on here, probably because I'm nowhere as polite and well thought out as you!

lebeau

I don't think it's a matter of faulty memories. Obviously, if you know how to use FP, your waits will be shorter than they were in the pre-FP days.

The reason that works is that other people are waiting in artifically inflated stand-by lines. The day everyone starts using FP effectively is the day it stops producing benefits to those who know how to use it.

I work for a very large company and I'm known as the "Disney-guy". So a lot of people come to me before a WDW trip for advice. I've also spoken to a lot of people who went to WDW without a lot of planning. And I've heard a lot of nightmare stories.

The majority of people who go to Disney have not done enough planning. A lot of them don't know what FP is or how it works. A lot of people don't use it because they don't realize it is free. I can't tell you how many people have complained to me about Disney letting people "cut in line".

I've found that the "Disney-faithful" tend not to have a lot of sympathy for these casual tourist. But you have to try to put yourself in the mindset of someone who's never experienced Orlando before. They've been to amusement parks. They didn't need to research them. They have no idea that WDW is different from any of the theme parks they've visited in the past.

The bread and butter of WDW is not the return visitor who knows the ins and outs of FP. It's the casual tourist who comes for a once-in-a-lifetime visit. The current system can by very frustrating to the majority of WDW guests and is actually causing them to wait in longer lines than they ordinarily would.

I see a system that causes dissatisfaction among the majority of Disney guests as a bad system. The problem is, most people don't realize how the system works and those that do don't care because they benefit from the system!

polarboi

The day everyone starts using FP effectively is the day it stops producing benefits to those who know how to use it.

Oh, I disagree. Because of the way the system is designed (only a limited number of FPs assigned per hour, only one FP at a time per guest, only a limited number of attractions use FP), there's always going to be a benefit to using FP, even if everyone uses it.

FP allows you to essentially "take a number" and virtually hold your place in line while you do other things. Now, if everyone used that time to shop, eat, or sightsee, then it wouldn't increase the attraction waiting time at all, and you'd have a 100% benefit. On the other hand, if everyone got a FP and used that time to wait in line for another FP attraction, then everyone's wait would be increased by the amount of time they were saving, and you'd have a net benefit of zero. The truth is somewhere in between. Since some people are waiting in other lines while waiting on their FPs to come up, the lines are increased, but not as much as the time saved, even if everyone used FP, because people also use that time to eat, shop, walk, and go to shows and attractions that don't have waits. On plenty of occasions, I've gone to see a show I wouldn't otherwise have seen because it was something to do while waiting for my FP. I wasn't taking up any more time from others than if I had been standing in line, but I was enjoying the show way more than the queue.

The majority of people who go to Disney have not done enough planning. A lot of them don't know what FP is or how it works. A lot of people don't use it because they don't realize it is free. I can't tell you how many people have complained to me about Disney letting people "cut in line".

I've found that the "Disney-faithful" tend not to have a lot of sympathy for these casual tourist.

That may be true for some of the "Disney faithful," but I can assure you that I have lots of sympathy for the casual tourist. And the ones I've talked to, even though they didn't do any planning, did understand FP. Why? Because it's clearly explained in the park maps, on signs around property, on resort TV, and on various spiels. There are also helpful CMs standing around who are happy to point people in the right direction and explain exactly what FP is to anyone who still didn't get it.

I have no doubt that there are people who, as you say, missed the memo. But to suggest that one has to be an advance planner to understand FP is silly. Every day, plenty of people make their first WDW trip and discover FP from Disney's own marketing without having done any research in advance. And from everything I've heard, guest satisfaction with FP is quite high, despite the occasional hiccups and misunderstandings.

-p.b. :cool:

nibblesandbits

That may be true for some of the "Disney faithful," but I can assure you that I have lots of sympathy for the casual tourist. And the ones I've talked to, even though they didn't do any planning, did understand FP. Why? Because it's clearly explained in the park maps, on signs around property, on resort TV, and on various spiels. There are also helpful CMs standing around who are happy to point people in the right direction and explain exactly what FP is to anyone who still didn't get it.
I have no doubt that there are people who, as you say, missed the memo. But to suggest that one has to be an advance planner to understand FP is silly. Every day, plenty of people make their first WDW trip and discover FP from Disney's own marketing without having done any research in advance. And from everything I've heard, guest satisfaction with FP is quite high, despite the occasional hiccups and misunderstandings.

-p.b. :cool:

Now, I'm a fan of FP, but here's the rub...yes, while it might be spelled out about a million different ways for people...there are two issues that are not helping.

1. As to the bolded section, that would mean that people would actually have to pick up and READ the maps, read the signs properly, watch resort TV, listen to the different spiels and/or actually talk to a CM. Now, I deal with people on a daily basis in my line of work (ah, the joys of customer service)...I have to explain things SPECIFICALLY to their faces before they understand what I'm talking about...and sometimes they still call me, later in the week, saying "I paid part of my money down and it says it's going to charge my card." even after specifically saying to them that it doesn't charge the card, we do and we subtract their deposit before doing so.

People, even when spoonfed the information, don't pay attention. So, it's quite easy to understand how the average tourist can mis-interpret FastPass.

The second, very easy way people can misinterpret it...is that, yes, other parks DO charge for it...so they think, why would Disney be different? That's why they avoid learning about it like the plague. And, I've noticed that when you don't want to be pressured (IE, people thinking they have to purchase FP because other parks charge for it) into buying something, you tune out any information, even if it could be helpful, about the product. Thus, they don't learn about the joys of FP because they're afraid they're going to be pressured.

lebeau

Now, if everyone used that time to shop, eat, or sightsee, then it wouldn't increase the attraction waiting time at all, and you'd have a 100% benefit. On the other hand, if everyone got a FP and used that time to wait in line for another FP attraction, then everyone's wait would be increased by the amount of time they were saving, and you'd have a net benefit of zero. The truth is somewhere in between.

You make a good point. I tend to overlook people who use FP as it was originally intended. I have no way of knowing, but I think these people are in the minority.

I think (pure speculation) that if you factor in the inefficiencies that are inherent to FP (forgeries, expired passes, etc) you would be closer to zero benefit than you would to 100% benefit if everyone started using FP.

That may be true for some of the "Disney faithful," but I can assure you that I have lots of sympathy for the casual tourist.

Also true. I painted with too broad of a brush. Most Disney fans are all too happy to help out a lost tourist. I'm just very accustomed to getting responses along the lines of "screw 'em if they don't know how to plan!"

And the ones I've talked to, even though they didn't do any planning, did understand FP. Why? Because it's clearly explained in the park maps, on signs around property, on resort TV, and on various spiels. There are also helpful CMs standing around who are happy to point people in the right direction and explain exactly what FP is to anyone who still didn't get it.

I've talked to plenty of casual tourists who figured it out. Once upon a time, I was one. But how effectively are these people using FP? I bet their overall wait time is still longer than it would be without FP.

I have no doubt that there are people who, as you say, missed the memo. But to suggest that one has to be an advance planner to understand FP is silly.

I'd argue that point. I just know too many people who went to Disney and never used FP because they were confused and/or intimidated and didn't bother asking anyone.

A lot of people don't read those maps. They don't know to ask about FP and might not feel comfortable asking about it even if they did. A lot of people get to Disney and are just plain overwhelmed!

Of the ones who figure it out without planning in advance, most probably aren't using it efficiently.

And from everything I've heard, guest satisfaction with FP is quite high, despite the occasional hiccups and misunderstandings.

That is true. I attribute this to a fundamental lack of understanding how FP works. Most people believe FP is creating capacity which is not true.

Also, the frustrated tourists who are the most negatively impacted by FP often don't realize that FP is the problem. They just complain about the long lines without realizing that the lines they waited in were artificially inflated by FP.

lebeau

Now, I'm a fan of FP, but here's the rub...yes, while it might be spelled out about a million different ways for people...there are two issues that are not helping.

1. As to the bolded section, that would mean that people would actually have to pick up and READ the maps, read the signs properly, watch resort TV, listen to the different spiels and/or actually talk to a CM. Now, I deal with people on a daily basis in my line of work (ah, the joys of customer service)...I have to explain things SPECIFICALLY to their faces before they understand what I'm talking about...and sometimes they still call me, later in the week, saying "I paid part of my money down and it says it's going to charge my card." even after specifically saying to them that it doesn't charge the card, we do and we subtract their deposit before doing so.

People, even when spoonfed the information, don't pay attention. So, it's quite easy to understand how the average tourist can mis-interpret FastPass.

The second, very easy way people can misinterpret it...is that, yes, other parks DO charge for it...so they think, why would Disney be different? That's why they avoid learning about it like the plague. And, I've noticed that when you don't want to be pressured (IE, people thinking they have to purchase FP because other parks charge for it) into buying something, you tune out any information, even if it could be helpful, about the product. Thus, they don't learn about the joys of FP because they're afraid they're going to be pressured.

Thank you.

You articulated some of the points I was trying to make better than I did.

People on the Disney forums would probably be amazed if they knew what a nightmare experience WDW can be for many casual tourists. I've talked to people who are still angry about their negative experiences years later.

My own dad told me he wouldn't go back to save his soul!

ILOVEDISNEY

I think paying for FP would be a grrreat idea, but I realize not everyone could afford it. The FP system has been abused for years by persons with dozens of unused tickets, who get the FP for the rides and either pass they along to friends and/or charge for their use. I have personally seen this happen on several occasions. No, these are not groups of American school kids, or foreign groups, but organized groups from the WDW area. Disney has also had a problem with persons counterfeiting FPs.

BadTigger

When I was working there a few years back now, there was always the idea of offering a paid Fastpass, which would allow guest to pretty much book ride times, so you could plan your entire day pretty much. This would be in addition to the normal fastpass system. Maybe this is finally coming true.

burninup4nick

A lot of things may be considered but not necessarilly adopted.

We once had a survey person with a clip board come up to us near the exit to the Magic Kingdom. The survey was about package delivery service to your room when you buy something in the gift shops.

One of the questions was "Would you be willing to pay for having items that you purchased in the parks delivered to your room?".
We of course answered, "No", and a lot of other people must have said the same thing.
That was back when they deliverd the packages directly to your room.

Later they changed the procedure so that you have to go to the resort gift shop and pick them up.

:king:

I was given that survey too....

I believe they are talking about it...of course Disney wants to make money.....but I doubt they go through with it...and if they do I doubt it lasts very long....but I kinda wonder why they would start charging for it after all these years.... hmmmm :confused:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I, politely, will refrain from calling Shenanigans, and say that this was a misinterpretation of something.

Disneyfan1981

There is a lot of interesting thoughts and theories in this thread. I don't see them cloning the Universal way of doing Fastpass because their FP really essentially makes it a one day experience. Last time I went it was amazingly busy, four different Brazilian tour groups were there and the wait times were easily over 2 hours for a lot of the rides. We bought the pass and went right to the head of the line waiting roughly about 10 minutes and decided to see just how much we could get out of it. We did both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios within one day. Disney banks on the fact that people stay for the long haul and really spend money while attempting to complete the parks.

Not to mention that the price of the pass depends on attendance so that day we paid approximately $85 each for ours. I don't see that flying all too well at Disney.

That being said the addition a pay to play Fastpass really wouldn't surprise me. I remember the "Ultimate Park Hopper" tickets a few years back where you got everything that now you have to add ala carte. Those were the absolute best IHMO because you really had choices to do whatever you want. When that went it took a while to get used to "Magic Your Way" and I don't see the whole benefits compared to the old way. Adding the Fastpass to Magic Your Way seems like the logical next step. If they do it will I buy it? Of course, I love FP and use it every single time I visit. Will be happy about it? Absolutely not but I utilize the service too much to go without at this point and I think that is what Disney would be banking on....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom