Disney to charge for Fastpass

ZambeziZelda

Original Poster
My roommate works in a place that requires her to frequently check up on Disney policies, procedures and whatnot. She recently stumbled on some official verbiage laying out Disney's plans to charge for Fastpass. She's not a huge Disney nerd like I am, so she didn't read it very carefully, however she did remember that each day is going to be the same amount, unlike Universal Express, and that Disney was going to make a point of it being offered cheaper than Universal Express.

Anyways, I realize this isn't so much huge news as it is a little nugget of change to come...interesting nonetheless.

I haven't been frequenting the boards as often as I used to, so my apologies if this has already been discussed :wave:

RiversideBunny

A lot of things may be considered but not necessarilly adopted.

We once had a survey person with a clip board come up to us near the exit to the Magic Kingdom. The survey was about package delivery service to your room when you buy something in the gift shops.

One of the questions was "Would you be willing to pay for having items that you purchased in the parks delivered to your room?".
We of course answered, "No", and a lot of other people must have said the same thing.
That was back when they deliverd the packages directly to your room.

Later they changed the procedure so that you have to go to the resort gift shop and pick them up.

:king:

dariodiaz

I hope it doesn't happen, I've visited WDW for the last 17 years and I'm a big fan. I always boast about it to all my friends how great it's to visit WDW. When my family and I go to WDW (4 of us) we do all 4 parks 4 day hoppers (That's $900 worth of tickets) not counting what we eat at the park and other misc.items we buy. Now we have to pay for our fastpass also, not good not good at all!! I do Universal also when I visit Florida and let me tell I love the park, but the Express Tickets are way too much money.
LETS HOPE DISNEY ITS NOT PLANNING ON THIS

This has been getting some good discussion recently. I believe there was a patent filed (or something else) that said Disney had a method of charging for the fastpasses. It was in another thread that I cant find.

Whether they implement it or not remains to be seen, but it seems like they want to go down that route.

Brian Noble

It wouldn't surprise me either way. Disney is the last holdout offering free virtual queueing. Every other park that offered it (Universal, a few Cedar Fair parks) abandoned it, and every year more operators are offering paid versions at some subset of their parks (Six Flags, Herschend, Universal, and Busch.)

The most plausible reason for keeping it free is that it increases overall guest spending, but as far as I can tell the per-capita numbers in the annual reports have never showed a noticeable percentage increase in guest spending compared to the other standalone operators (Six Flags and Cedar Fair) since it was originally deployed. What's more, the Universal parks have not experienced a drop in guest spending since abandoning the free version.

Not charging for it is leaving money on the table. And, the Mouse hates to leave money on the table. The Mouse also is more averse than most to giving its guests the impression of nickel-and-dime pricing, though---they'd rather get their money all at once at the gate---so I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay, either.

RiversideBunny

In any large company or organization proposals go through various stages.
Someone may see that proposal at any step in the process.

Typical steps would be:

1. Person who drafts the proposal initially.
2. Proposal is submitted to that person's boss
3. The boss submits it to the next level manager
4. The manager submits it to the sub committee
5. The sub committee studies it along with other proposals
6. The sub committee sends a recommendation to a high level executive
7. The upper executive studies it
8. It is presented to an executive committee meeting
9. The executive committee makes a decision
10. Or the proposal may be returned for clarification or futher study
11. The proposal, in its final version, is adopted by the executives
12. The proposal is officially announced

Anywhere along the way someone may see the proposal.

:)

MrBug

The lure of Fee Revenue is irresistible... If everyone else is doing it and you're not, are you losing money? :shrug:

ToTBellHop

I would imagine that if they did this (and it's certainly a possibility), they would then include it in the price of vacation packages and list it as another "perk" of staying on property.

kimmychad

i wouldn't mind if they let resort guests have it for free, like universal does. i wouldn't pay for fastpass, and if i was forced to in order to use it i would condisder other vacation spots.

raven

So instead of waiting in line for Soarin for 2 hours without a Fast Pass I'll be waiting for 4 hours? :(

RealHawker

^^^ I agree with ISTC - most likely they will make it some sort of Deluxe/Premium MYW package. A bigger boost than just then extra-magic hours.

I would pay for it, if the total was somewhere near the cost of staying an extra day. Stay a day less, because you can do the parks faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom