Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

BillyBuff

Didn't they just announce a Green Lantern film? And I know there is work (mostly writing) being put into Wonder Woman, The Flash & Captain Marvel lately. I highly suspect this deal with prompt DC to get going on some of these tentative plans.

We actually have a few films in production for some of our DC characters.

Green Lantern is definite and also Jonah Hex (Megan Fox looks great as Leila!)

fosse76

I think it's safe to say, Universal heard about this deal before we did, but by only a day or two. So at this point, asking "what will Universal do?" is kind of premature. Universal probably has no idea either yet. I suspect later this week they will hold some informal talks with Disney, though.

As I said in my previous post, Universal really doesn't have to do anything at this time. At minimum they have the theme park licensing rights to a number of Marvel characters, which would prevent Disney from using those characters. No one knows how long the agreements are valid, but if its anything like the 50 year agreement Warner Bros. has with Six Flags, we definitely won't see those characters in a Disney park anytime soon.

Also, lest we forget, the deal isn't finished. The SEC needs to approve it (as if they wouldn't, all the monopolies they allow to exist), and then the shareholders must vote on it.

harryk

Finally!! assuming all goes well, something for boys at the MK other than Pirates may show up. Now almost everything is aimed at girls, Princesses, Princesses, Princesses........:sohappy::sohappy:

MasonDuo

Seeing any Marvel character in the Disney parks :hurl: If it should happen to DHS my only hope is that it is done in a classy way.

I have found Universal IOA to be cheesy. I would have to admit that the Spiderman attraction in IOA is one of the greatest themed rides I have ever been on. But the Doom free fall thing and even the Hulk coaster (as good as it is) are not themed that well. Since Disney does a far better job at theming I could expect something much better. However, I'm sure that we will not see anything for many years.

Film industry wise, this will benefit Disney in many ways.

rooneymouse

Does anyone know what Universal's contract with Marvel says? Does Universal have exclusive theme park rights to the characters for the length of their contract? When does the Marvel-Universal theme park contract expire?

PirateFrank

And...the answer to the hottest question going right now...

"What will Disney do to compete with Harry Potter?"

"Buy Marvel and force them to close down their current biggest draw" LOL

This is the thing that resonates with me the most. Whether there are short term contracts...it appears Universal Orlando has to retheme a HUGE portion of it's part in addition to completing HP world. It makes the HP investment a not so smart move, if it meant exposing themselves to marvel's loss.

WDWFigment

Also, lest we forget, the deal isn't finished. The SEC needs to approve it (as if they wouldn't, all the monopolies they allow to exist), and then the shareholders must vote on it.

I'm sure they will too, but in light of recent events, I think the administration has a critical eye on the SEC. It does seem like it's been a number of years since the SEC really did anything with antitrust, though. I thought that was a goal of the Obama administration? So far nothing has happened with it, though (not as if that administration doesn't already have enough on its plate).

I'm just saying, it sure would be interesting if the administration used this opportunity to 'show its teeth towards antitrust.' I don't really think there's any chance it'll happen, but you never know.

GatorGambit

I can see it now...

Nightcrawler's Great Escape
Mutants of the Caribbean
Magneto's Energy Adventure at Universe of Energy
Oh Wolverine! at the Circlevision 360 Theater in Canada
Reflections of France - narrated by Gambit

The possibilities are endless! :king:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
This is the thing that resonates with me the most. Whether there are short term contracts...it appears Universal Orlando has to retheme a HUGE portion of it's part in addition to completing HP world. It makes the HP investment a not so smart move, if it meant exposing themselves to marvel's loss.

Define huge?

GatorGambit

In all seriousness, with this purchase coming to light, I'm somewhat surprised Disney hasn't come to terms on a deal to purchase LucasFilm at this point. The two organizations have had a much closer relationship over the years.

Computer Magic

That's not really true. Remember, Disney is putting up their stock for a significant portion of the deal. Yes, some cash is involved, but it's not like they are giving $4Billion.
We don't know the ratio, I guess you need to see how many MVL stock and multiply by $30. The bottom line is Disney profits are going elsewhere beside WDW park. This is one example of where Disney profits are going.

BillyBuff

I want a movie about The Flash! I want one! Can I sign a petition??

There's insider talks about a DC movie about a "team" of super heroes about forming their own "league". That's all I can say for now. :zipit:

I think it was a smart move on Disney for buying Marvel. It'll also be very profitable for Marvel in the film and licensing end.

Sucks for us (DC) because of huge competition (film & toys).

P.S. Yes I work for DC :)

SirGoofy

Nightcrawler's Great Escape

Bamf.jpg

:D

I love Kurt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom