Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

goreesha

A paragraph from today's Sentinel:

"Marvel also has various deals with the two-park Universal Orlando. The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation."

Doesn't appear to me Universal will have to do any retheming any time soon.

It's still got to sting over at Universal to think that they are now basically promoting Disney characters in their parks.

trr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillerup
A paragraph from today's Sentinel:

"Marvel also has various deals with the two-park Universal Orlando. The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation."

Doesn't appear to me Universal will have to do any retheming any time soon.

lets hope the rides dont breakdown:lol:

RSoxNo1

Even if Universal insists on upholding the contract, they have to pay royalties to Disney—and every piece of Marvel merchandise sold at Universal Studios will profit the Walt Disney Company.

That is genius.

(BTW, Hollywood R/R/Rockit is awesome fun, and HP is looking good. Time for the New Fantasyland to get movin' along.)

Universal controls the theme park rights. That's it. Spiderman, Dr. Doom, the Hulk, and Storm will be Disney properties after the deal goes through, and will merely be inside a Universal-owned theme park, similar to how neither ToT, Star Wars, nor Indiana Jones actually belongs to Disney.

So we've established based on a statement by Iger that Disney cannot use the Marvel characters in Florida or Tokyo. People have said on here that the agreement is in perpetuity but does anyone really understand what the actual contract is? Tirian, you seem to indicate that there is an annual licensing fee that Universal pays Marvel. Is this a fixed cost or does it change based on park attendance and/or inflation?

With a deal already agreed upon it would seem that Disney/Marvel would have to buy out the theme park contract in a separate deal - it does not seem that this is likely to end unless both parties want it to. Now Universal and Disney have brokered deals in the past (Al Michaels/Oswald), but this is substantially different.

Can anyone say Marvel 5th gate :shrug: or even a Marvel Villian Park-

Two of my favorites- WDW and Marvel- IF it's done right, it's a winning team :sohappy:

Based on what I said above - it doesn't appear that is even legal given the current contracts in place. Unless the theme park deal agreed upon prior to the buyout can be terminated, we don't see the Marvel characters in WDW. Now what is also uncertain is whether or not Universal's agreement only includes every current Marvel Character, a specific list of Marvel Characters (Spiderman, the Hulk, Dr. Doom, etc), or every Character that is ever created under the Marvel name. I'm guessing it's not the latter and Disney will be able to use any future characters that are developed, much like what is agreed upon with the Stan Lee arrangement.

I just read on www.ioacentral.com that Universal has a major press event on September 15th. that will reveal several new features from the upcoming Harry Potter land + other things.

The war begins :D

Now this is interesting. Let's hope this is the beginning of the constant one upmanship going back and forth. 2 days after the ending of the D23 convention Universal is presumably planning to wow us with concept art and information of their own.

“Our agreement with Marvel stands for as long as we follow the terms of our existing contract and for as long as we want there to be a Marvel Super Hero Island,” said Universal Studios Florida spokesman Tom Schroder ---LA Times 8/31/09

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Now this is interesting. Let's hope this is the beginning of the constant one upmanship going back and forth. 2 days after the ending of the D23 convention Universal is presumably planning to wow us with concept art and information of their own.
We can but hope.

But theres now the fear of anti limax too :lookaroun

Chance

Why not? Superheroes are some of the ultimate in fantasy over the years, and have just as much of a history and following as many of the classic Disney characters we hold so dear. As long as they don't overdo it, it seems like the right move.

I'm for superheros in there place, but in like Epcot or Magic Kingdom they seem too, too..........well just too

sWANNISAX

While i love the spider-man ride, I wish Disney could use Marvel in the park. My two favorite things in the world are Marvel Comics and disney. The fact that they are connected now is amazing.

I would imagine that Universal will not be to happy with this since they are probably going to have to at least indirectly pay disney to use the characters liscense. It might prompt them to look at rethemeing. I wouldn't want to advertise for my cheif competitor regardless of how awesome the spider-man ride is.

On a side note does anyone see this all playing into the idea of a new Hollywood studios? Now we have Disney Studios, Pixar Studios, we essentially have a Muppets Studio, and a Lucasfilm Studio at the park. Add marvel and you essentially have 5 themed lands. Imagine what Disney could do with the Marvel License. Universal certainly hasnt done much with it for ten years now.

_Scar

lol, I'd actually love to see Spidey zip line from the castle! Spiderman is probably the only Marvel character I love enough to say that about. But that will never happen :(. You know how Power Rangers do their little meet and greet in the back of DHS? I'd imagine they'd do it like that. If you want to see them then go ahead, but if not, they aren't shoved in your face.

Chance

Actually, this begs a question or two. First Disney gets the Muppets, and then Pixar, next DreamWorks/Spielberg, now Marvel Entertainment. Bob Zemeckis works with them too.

So what comes next? Clearly Iger has demonstrated willingness to purchase outside properties. So I would assume Disney is looking at other purchases into the future. But what?

I think Walt would have a fit ---- buy everything.......it's no longer Disney if you acquire it all........

DisneyCanadian

That's huge news. It would be cool to see superhero inspired theming and rides, but it has to be done right. I don't think MK is the right place to do it either. Perhaps a new park... one can only wish.

_Scar

While i love the spider-man ride, I wish Disney could use Marvel in the park. My two favorite things in the world are Marvel Comics and disney. The fact that they are connected now is amazing.

I would imagine that Universal will not be to happy with this since they are probably going to have to at least indirectly pay disney to use the characters liscense. It might prompt them to look at rethemeing. I wouldn't want to advertise for my cheif competitor regardless of how awesome the spider-man ride is.

On a side note does anyone see this all playing into the idea of a new Hollywood studios? Now we have Disney Studios, Pixar Studios, we essentially have a Muppets Studio, and a Lucasfilm Studio at the park. Add marvel and you essentially have 5 themed lands. Imagine what Disney could do with the Marvel License. Universal certainly hasnt done much with it for ten years now.

:O They didn't need to! Spiderman is their IoA park signature! They didn't need to do anything with Marvel because what they did was so awesome and fans loved it.

_Scar

I think Walt would have a fit ---- buy everything.......it's no longer Disney if you acquire it all........

Well, that's kinda like a glass half empty situation. If you think about everything somehow being related to Disney then you could easily say that Disney is one of the world's leading businesses.

SirGoofy

I find it interesting the Uni rep said, "As long as we want Marvel Superhero Island."

Seems odd to me.:shrug:

I would have went with something along the likes of, "Superhero Island isn't going anywhere anytime soon."

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I find it interesting the Uni rep said, "As long as we want Marvel Superhero Island."

Seems odd to me.:shrug:

I would have went with something along the likes of, "Superhero Island isn't going anywhere anytime soon."

Maybe, hes trying to emphasise /reestablish that Universal has some control over this, and things are not going to be changed at Disneys whim. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom