Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

TalkingHead

How long until the average clueless Orlando tourist goes to Disney expecting to find "Spiderman's ride" or "the Hulk ride"?

Disney hates to disappoint the clueless guests--so I guess they'll be giving out free tickets to Uni now to compensate.

The Conundrum

I love propoganda:

001597e3

fosse76

As long as the Marvel characters continue to draw crowds, what does Universal care who owns them? It's not like riding Spider-Man is going to remind people that "Oh yeah, Disney actually holds the non-theme park rights to these characters, I really need to get over to Epcot later.

Exactly. Most people don't realize who owns what anyway. How many people here make posts poking fun of people who refer to attractions at Universal as being owned by Disney? People don't know and don't care.

I'm not necessarily trying to pick a fight here, but I still don't understand the thinking behind this notion that Universal is "promoting" Disney in any meaningful way by using the Marvel characters...especially if Disney can't use the characters Universal already has at WDW.

Exactly. And as such, Universal may be having the last laugh. Sure, Disney is now going to be getting the money Universal was already paying out to Marvel, but it's only a small percentage. It was money they were already paying out. Assuming Universal is paying an annual licensing fee, it's probably very small...the biggest revenue for Disney will be merchandise fees. But again, it's all money that Universal had to pay out anyway. What gives them the last laugh is that Disney can't do anything in their parks with Marvel's most popular characters because Universal has those rights.

I really think there's too much of the "true believers'" thinking in these kinds of posts and not enough of the business perspective. As much as fans might like to think it's the case, Disney and Uni aren't gladiators locked in combat to the death. They just care about what will make the most money for each of them. If Uni decides that it's worth the crowds they attract to use the characters and have licensing fees go to Disney, they will.

Exactly! I can't even begin to imagine what Universal is having to pay Warner Bros. for Harry Potter...not to mention what they had to pay JK Rowling for the theme pak rights. Business is business. Competitors join forces in joint ventures all the time.

EPCOT Explorer

Can anyone say Marvel 5th gate :shrug: or even a Marvel Villian Park-

Two of my favorites- WDW and Marvel- IF it's done right, it's a winning team :sohappy:
We are in no position to look at a 5th Gate now.:wave:

I just read on www.ioacentral.com that Universal has a major press event on September 15th. that will reveal several new features from the upcoming Harry Potter land + other things.

The war begins :D

During D23!? Bold...Very bold...:lol:

This will be a fun War....:lookaroun

_Scar

I don't know about you guys, but I'd be a little sad if Disney would make a park completely around one certain group. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more Star Wars, Muppets, now Marvel in the parks but they should not get their own parks.

Mr.EPCOT

What is this 'Innoventions' you speak of?

Are you kidding? I can't tell.

I'm excited for it. Although I think they used the perfect man to play the Flash for GL.

I really didn't want to see Reynolds as The Flash, but the more I've thought about it, the more I warmed to the idea of him as Wally West. Just get that man a red wig! I just didn't want them to ignore Barry Allen or Jay Garrick.

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be nice if they used Larfleeze as a villain for that show? And have him be voiced by Gilbert Gottfried?

MINE!!!

juan

I do like the news. I think it will only lead to new opportunities for the company. With the previous purchase of Stan Lee's talents and now this, Disney seems to be in a very profitable position.

I would like to see a DHS expansion into the backlot or clear land and re-route the south entrance and expand that way.
This would give DHS another "studio" for its current efforts in reworking the park into more distinct "lands." (Pixar area, Lucasfilm area, etc)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom