Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

If a D23 Tomorrowland announcement actually comes to pass, I hope it concerns a sweeping thematic upgrade to the land, as opposed to merely getting the People Mover back up and running. I mean, I suppose the PM would be a good start (and better than nothing), but the entire land needs help -- even, at the very least, just some minor aesthetic improvements would go a long way.

Moreover, while I've always hoped for the return of the People Mover one day, I've never fantasized about it returning in its original form with its original clunky tech. If Disney (miraculously) actually invests in resurrecting the PM, I really hope they install an updated iteration more appropriate for this century.

lazyboy97o

Man, I hope they get it right this time. The last thing Tomorrowland needs is a slapdash, half baked, purely cosmetic redo.

Plus what works, ditch what doesn't and replace it with something awesome. This land hasn't carried its weight in 25 years. It's far past time to right this wrong.

Just tell me one thing . . . the Subs are staying, right??
Seeing as it was to include Lightyear Mountain, I’m not too hopeful. Does Mirabel dream of the future?

yensidtlaw1969

I’m expecting to be underwhelmed by this Tomorrowland announcement.
I'm sorry to say I agree. While I certainly hope to be proven wrong, I don't have a ton of confidence that the company as it exists today will nail this. They don't seem to care anymore about the kind of things that can make a land like Tomorrowland great.

It really can't be overstated how boneheaded it would be to put something like a Lightyear Mountain place of Disneyland's classic Space Mountain. Thank goodness that fell through. Let's hope it took any ideas of that caliber with it to the waste bin.

Say what you will about the 1998 New Tomorrowland (and believe me, there is plenty to be said), but at least that was largely a pretty wholesale attempt at revitalizing the land, misguided and undercommitted though it was. I don't get the impression Disney is interested in attempting something even that big these days - and given how many corners were cut in TL98 I think that's saying something.

mickEblu

I’m expecting to be underwhelmed by this Tomorrowland announcement.

I don’t expect more than a shortened PeopleMover and some new spit n polish throughout the land. I would have also said a new restaurant before the DVC lunge announcement.

Astro Orbiter/ TL spinner either being removed or moved back would on the platform would be enough to take this TL announcement over the top for me. Going back to the PeopleMover, it Makes sense that they wouldn’t want tracks going over Nemo and Autopia as they view That as an area for future Fantasyland or Tomorrowland attractions. I do think part of that announcement might hint at a phased redo and a future attraction for the Autopia area.

Don’t want to see Lightyear anywhere near Space Mountain. Don’t even want to see Lightyear anywhere anywhere near Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters and that’s really saying something. I’d like to see them get rid of BLAB altogether for a proper dark ride.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I'm sorry to say I agree. While I certainly hope to be proven wrong, I don't have a ton of confidence that the company as it exists today will nail this. They don't seem to care anymore about the kind of things that can make a land like Tomorrowland great.

It really can't be overstated how boneheaded it would be to put something like a Lightyear Mountain place of Disneyland's classic Space Mountain. Thank goodness that fell through. Let's hope it took any ideas of that caliber with it to the waste bin.

Say what you will about the 1998 New Tomorrowland (and believe me, there is plenty to be said), but at least that was largely a pretty wholesale attempt at revitalizing the land, misguided and undercommitted though it was. I don't get the impression Disney is interested in attempting something even that big these days - and given how many corners were cut in TL98 I think that's saying something.
Exactly. The fact that they wanted to turn Space into a Buzz overlay says it all. That was all I needed to hear.

I have no faith whatsoever.

yensidtlaw1969

Exactly. The fact that they wanted to turn Space into a Buzz overlay says it all. That was all I needed to hear.

I have no faith whatsoever.
Right? At least Tomorrowland 98 had potential, even if they squandered practically all of it.

Anybody who looks at Tomorrowland in its current state and thinks "What THIS place needs is less Space Mountain" is probably beyond help. I doubt a Peoplemover will be enough to save that.

But again, I HOPE they prove me wrong.

Californian Elitist

Right? At least Tomorrowland 98 had potential, even if they squandered practically all of it.

Anybody who looks at Tomorrowland in its current state and thinks "What THIS place needs is less Space Mountain" is probably beyond help. I doubt a Peoplemover will be enough to save that.

But again, I HOPE they prove me wrong.
Speaking of PeopleMover, if they’re not going to replace the tracks with new ones and give us updated indoor imagery, I don’t want it.

Let’s see how we feel in a week. I look forward to discussion and seeing how everyone feels about it.

Californian Elitist

Don’t want to see Lightyear anywhere near Space Mountain. Don’t even want to see Lightyear anywhere anywhere near Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters and that’s really saying something. I’d like to see them get rid of BLAB altogether for a proper dark ride.
Me, too. I would also like to see a dark ride replace Buzz, but not a Buzz dark ride. Something that actually has to do with the future would be nice.

Animaniac93-98

Buzz Space Mountain is a symptom of the company's refusal to do anything that isn't IP related...even an update of an existing popular ride such as this. I guess we should be grateful they didn't want to try Stitch again.

They already have Marvel, Star Wars and Princesses elsewhere in the Resort, so what does that leave Tomorrowland with? Pixar maybe? Unless Strange World turns out to be a smash hit.

That's why I feel like TRON is inevitable, even if it's a terrible idea. It's both IP and an existing ride. Too hard for this management to resist.

Nland316

Buzz Space Mountain is a symptom of the company's refusal to do anything that isn't IP related...even an update of an existing popular ride such as this. I guess we should be grateful they didn't want to try Stitch again.

They already have Marvel, Star Wars and Princesses elsewhere in the Resort, so what does that leave Tomorrowland with? Pixar maybe? Unless Strange World turns out to be a smash hit.

That's why I feel like TRON is inevitable, even if it's a terrible idea. It's both IP and an existing ride. Too hard for this management to resist.
Of all IP’s, I wouldn’t mind BH6/Baymax getting some love.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The music and the colors/ retro design of the original vehicles. I don’t care what ride system it is.
Honestly I'd actually like more of a futuristic design than the boxy original design for the vehicles. I'd like something with more curves and points at the front and back of the vehicle:

image.jpg

I know they won't do it given wanting to use the existing track, but I always thought a suspended POD type vehicle would look cool going over TL:

image.jpg

But I suspect just to keep costs down you'll get your wish and they'll look like the old vehicles. :)

Animaniac93-98

Of all IP’s, I wouldn’t mind BH6/Baymax getting some love.

I like BH6 and Baymax is one of my favorite Disney sidekicks, but the best WDI has done so far for the property is a flat ride who's main selling point is its catchy soundtrack.

I'm not getting my hopes up that something more substantial will be done with those characters for any Disney park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom