Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Except part of that rumor was that the real reason the PeopleMover couldn’t come back all these years is because of issues with the Launch Bay building. So either that part of the rumor is false of the PeopleMover ain’t coming.
Well personally I've always thought the idea of Peoplemover project being stuck due to LB/Carousel Theater was more conjecture rather than a true reason. Not saying there isn't some kernel of truth to it, but it was probably more like "Hey if we really want to bring back Peoplemover we really need to do something with the empty underutilized LB/Carousel Theater at the same time so we can use the same budget".

And given the recent hints that GiveMeTheMusic has posted, I'm still leaning toward it coming back in some form.

Ismael Flores

Speaking of Tomorrowland/Disney+ synergy, if the nail on the coffin wasn’t hit hard enough that there won’t be a Lightyear Mountain, the nail is now past the coffin and out of the graveyard.

Interesting because Neilson released streaming numbers and contradicts what that says.

Lightyear has seen big numbers in streaming

Another article says that within the first five days the movie was watch in 1.7 million households.

And yet another one says the movie is seeing huge streaming numbers

All one has to do is google light years streaming and several things pop up that say same thing.

Almost seem the writer of that article posted was a bit premature in his data.

Attachments

• B2E2AE62-4312-4503-ABB4-111F9143FB9A.jpeg
    B2E2AE62-4312-4503-ABB4-111F9143FB9A.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 410C2EC0-7D95-465F-8A67-23854E0C087F.jpeg
    410C2EC0-7D95-465F-8A67-23854E0C087F.jpeg
    567.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 5681277E-F842-45BE-ADD8-596F62F3BB5B.jpeg
    5681277E-F842-45BE-ADD8-596F62F3BB5B.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Consumer

Interesting because Neilson released streaming numbers and contradicts what that says.

Lightyear has seen big numbers in streaming

Another article says that within the first five days the movie was watch in 1.7 million households.

And yet another one says the movie is seeing huge streaming numbers

All one has to do is google light years streaming and several things pop up that say same thing.

Almost seem like that one article posted was a bit premature
Is that a lot? Disney+ has over 150 million subscribers, so I would imagine the most popular content gets closer to 10 million streams or more.

Ismael Flores

Is that a lot? Disney+ has over 150 million subscribers, so I would imagine the most popular content gets closer to 10 million streams or more.
Well supposedly that’s just in the first five days. Also the 150 million subscribers are not just for Disney+

Disney counts subscribers like other studios based on the streaming sevices they won. 150 is total for Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+

The movie is also not released in all regions around the world. The 150 is worldwide

Ismael Flores

If we compare it to stranger things, that hugely popular series has 1.4 million minutes of viewership (34 episodes)
Lightyear ranked three in that category and has 1.3 million minutes of viewership ( 1 episode, movie)
Another thing to consider is at Nielsen all the tracks streaming from household televisions it does not track streaming from mobile devices lots of people watch movies on their iPads computers and phones
It doesn’t seem to be the bomb that some make it out to be when it comes to streaming

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well supposedly that’s just in the first five days. Also the 150 million subscribers are not just for Disney+

Disney counts subscribers like other studios based on the streaming sevices they won. 150 is total for Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+

The movie is also not released in all regions around the world. The 150 is worldwide
Actually D+ has 93.6M subs by itself worldwide as of the most recent quarter, add in Hotstar (International) its 152.1M for all D+ subs excluding Hulu and ESPN.

With Hulu and ESPN they have 221M total subs across all of their streamers.

Nland316

Well personally I've always thought the idea of Peoplemover project being stuck due to LB/Carousel Theater was more conjecture rather than a true reason. Not saying there isn't some kernel of truth to it, but it was probably more like "Hey if we really want to bring back Peoplemover we really need to do something with the empty underutilized LB/Carousel Theater at the same time so we can use the same budget".

And given the recent hints that GiveMeTheMusic has posted, I'm still leaning toward it coming back in some form.
Hoping @GiveMeTheMusic can shed some light on this eventually.. 😏

Phroobar

Well we only have to wait another week.... Not sure if they are willing to provide much context before then.

After if there is no Peoplemover/Tomorrowland announcement at D23 then maybe GiveMeTheMusic can provide some background beyond just "minds were changed".
"minds where changed" ...right. He means the voices in his head.

GiveMeTheMusic

I know it's super convenient, but there is a long history of announcements being changed or removed the day of the parks panel at D23. As of now, there will be a DL Tomorrowland announcement. That could change, but I don't think it will because there's not a whole lot of glossy stuff to reveal this year and this one will grab a lot of fan attention.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
If we compare it to stranger things, that hugely popular series has 1.4 million minutes of viewership (34 episodes)
Lightyear ranked three in that category and has 1.3 million minutes of viewership ( 1 episode, movie)
Another thing to consider is at Nielsen all the tracks streaming from household televisions it does not track streaming from mobile devices lots of people watch movies on their iPads computers and phones
It doesn’t seem to be the bomb that some make it out to be when it comes to streaming
You're off by like 3 decimals, bud. Season 4 of Stranger Things alone has surpassed a BILLION minutes of viewership.

Google harder.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Just to add......you're confusing "number of views" with viewing minutes.

As you stated above, Lightyear had 1.7 million watches in the first 5 days. You then start to compare with Stranger Things "number of minutes" viewed which aren't the same. Regardless, here is a list of some movies that show comparable "number of views" in the first 5 days:
Lightyear did worse than Space Jam 2.

Homemade Imagineering

I know it's super convenient, but there is a long history of announcements being changed or removed the day of the parks panel at D23. As of now, there will be a DL Tomorrowland announcement. That could change, but I don't think it will because there's not a whole lot of glossy stuff to reveal this year and this one will grab a lot of fan attention.
Thanks for the insight! Considering this is currently the case, would you be able to shed light on whether this announcement may include new attraction announcements within Tomorrowland, such as a possible Peoplemover attraction, or is this more of an aethetic upgrade with attraction reskins? I’d be curious to hear your take on this, but I understand if that’s all you’re able to say for now

No Name

You're off by like 3 decimals, bud. Season 4 of Stranger Things alone has surpassed a BILLION minutes of viewership.

Google harder.
Just to add......you're confusing "number of views" with viewing minutes.

As you stated above, Lightyear had 1.7 million watches in the first 5 days. You then start to compare with Stranger Things "number of minutes" viewed which aren't the same. Regardless, here is a list of some movies that show comparable "number of views" in the first 5 days:
Lightyear did worse than Space Jam 2.
No, bud, they were referencing the Neilson rankings for the first week of August, where Stranger Things had 1.4 billion minutes watched and Lightyear had 1.3 billion. They got the decimal place wrong but not the rest. Always important to at least make sure you’re correct before coming in with an attitude.

yensidtlaw1969

Man, I hope they get it right this time. The last thing Tomorrowland needs is a slapdash, half baked, purely cosmetic redo.

Plus what works, ditch what doesn't and replace it with something awesome. This land hasn't carried its weight in 25 years. It's far past time to right this wrong.

Just tell me one thing . . . the Subs are staying, right??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom