Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Californian Elitist

I don't know why people want the People Movers back so bad!
Disneyland fans love nostalgia. Additionally, it’s ride that doesn’t require a bunch of extras and it would bring some of the kinetic energy back to Tomorrowland, which is the worst land in the park right now. Not to mention the tracks are still there.

Might as well bring it back.

Disney Analyst

You know MC was the first forum I ever really joined (I was probably like 13-14 at the time).

Back in the day it was a lot like what WDWMagic is now. Filled with people, lively discussions, and lots of arguments.

I haven’t used MC as a forum in… a very long time. It just kept getting worse, not a lot of people, more crazies, lack of interesting discussions and insiders. Just a shell if it’s former self. The only thing worth checking out is their weekly update.

Also I miss Al and his articles.

I ended up using this forum more, and suddenly became a regular here…

TP2000

Because they were awesome!

The Goodyear PeopleMover really was awesome. I don't know why though, but it just was. It was one of those things you just automatically did when you went to Disneyland. It gave you something to do, and because of its massive 3,000+ per hour capacity it was always a walk-on even on the busiest of summer days.

That and America Sings were a Disneyland Must Do when you got to Tomorrowland. Plus the Monsanto ride, even earlier. You just rode them, whether you wanted to or not. Luckily, I always liked going on all three of those things so it was always a fun day.

There's nothing in Disneyland currently that can compare to wandering on to the PeopleMover for 15 minutes just because you don't know what else to do, or you just had lunch, or you are just hot and tired.

Thank you!

It seems my decision to avoid this year's D23 Expo is the correct one. Depending on how my Saturday night goes that weekend :cool:, I'll either wake up around 10:30 that Sunday and watch it in bed with coffee and a croissant, or I'll wake up later and just catch up on all the news with the gang here.

Either way, I think I'm quite smart to avoid all the drama and weirdos.

TP2000

Thinking more about Tomorrowland decades ago... the other solid contenders were the Bell System CircleVision show and the McDonnell-Douglas Mission To Mars. They were sort of second-tier choices behind PeopleMover, America Sings and Monsanto.

But if you walked by them and the "Next Show" or "Next Flight" clock said 7 minutes or less you generally went in and waited in the lobby for the next thing. I don't know why 7 minutes was the cutoff, but it was. If the clock out front said something terrible like "Next Show In 12 Minutes" that seemed too long and you kept walking.

But PeopleMover, America Sings and Monsanto were always walks ons with minimal waits. So you just did them. It was mandatory. Funny how that worked. 🤣

Also, I could have sworn that Del Monte sponsored America Sings. But a quick Google search just now came up with nothing. Am I imagining that? Or is it one of those weird Mandela Effect things and it changed when we switched into an alternate universe? Whenever I buy canned corn to make fresh cornbread with, I see the Del Monte cans and I just automatically think... "America Sings". Am I nuts?

NobodyElse

Thinking more about Tomorrowland decades ago... the other solid contenders were the Bell System CircleVision show and the McDonnell-Douglas Mission To Mars. They were sort of second-tier choices behind PeopleMover, America Sings and Monsanto.

But if you walked by them and the "Next Show" or "Next Flight" clock said 7 minutes or less you generally went in and waited in the lobby for the next thing. I don't know why 7 minutes was the cutoff, but it was. If the clock out front said something terrible like "Next Show In 12 Minutes" that seemed too long and you kept walking.

But PeopleMover, America Sings and Monsanto were always walks ons with minimal waits. So you just did them. It was mandatory. Funny how that worked. 🤣

Also, I could have sworn that Del Monte sponsored America Sings. But a quick Google search just now came up with nothing. Am I imagining that? Or is it one of those weird Mandela Effect things and it changed when we switched into an alternate universe? Whenever I buy canned corn to make fresh cornbread with, I see the Del Monte cans and I just automatically think... "America Sings". Am I nuts?

I, like you, seem to recall Del Monte's logo, but also distrust my memory.

These two sites (with "wiki" in their names - caveat emptor) appear to back us up.

Sponsored byDel Monte Foods

"Show sponsor Del Monte having already ended its sponsorship, America Sings officially closed on Sunday, April 10, 1988."

I haven't found any photographic evidence yet, but this might make you feel tangentially better:
1661711264571.png

;)

Last edited:

TP2000

I, like you, seem to recall Del Monte's logo, but also distrust my memory.

These two sites (with "wiki" in their names - caveat emptor) appear to back us up.

Sponsored byDel Monte Foods

"Show sponsor Del Monte having already ended its sponsorship, America Sings officially closed on Sunday, April 10, 1988."

I haven't found any photographic evidence yet, but this might make you feel tangentially better:
View attachment 663019

;)

Thank you! It's rather comforting to know I'm not crazy, and/or made the jump to this alternate universe unharmed.

And the next time I make cornbread and put in some Del Monte canned sweet corn, I will continue to hum "Won't You Come Home, Bill Bailey!" without guilt.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well I guess this means that Launch Bay/Carousel Theater isn't going anywhere anytime soon:

Although thinking about it, this does align with the rumor of it being used for seating.... Just that the wires got crossed on what type of seating and for whom.

Hopefully this doesn't have an impact on Peoplemover coming back.

Phroobar

Well I guess this means that Launch Bay/Carousel Theater isn't going anywhere anytime soon:

Although thinking about it, this does align with the rumor of it being used for seating.... Just that the wires got crossed on what type of seating and for whom.

BR4.gif

mickEblu

Except part of that rumor was that the real reason the PeopleMover couldn’t come back all these years is because of issues with the Launch Bay building. So either that part or the rumor is false of the PeopleMover ain’t coming.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom