Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I’m more of a fan of the 90’s color scheme with the striped vehicles.. :facepalm:
I’ll confess I am too, though I think if they bring it back they should go full retro with the multi-color ones.

The only reason I personally like the striped vehicles is because it’s the only ones I actually remember as a really young child at the time anyways.

mickEblu

I’ll confess I am too, though I think if they bring it back they should go full retro with the multi-color ones.

The only reason I personally like the striped vehicles is because it’s the only ones I actually remember as a really young child at the time anyways.

See this is why nostalgia is a funny thing and not one size fits all. As an 80s/90s kid technically I should have more nostalgia for the striped vehicles and yet I want the original multicolored vehicles back as they are just objectively better. 😉

Dear Prudence

I got stuck on The People Mover as a kid, and it was funny for the first 20 minutes....evacuating was not. I am perfectly okay with them saying dormant forever.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If the PeopleMover doesn’t come back with the old multi-colored ride vehicles I’ll consider it 1/2 a failure.

If the Astro Orbitor doesn’t get moved it’s 3/4 of a failure.
I have a feeling we'll just have to accept Orbitor where it is.

My gut is telling me the safety and budget cautious Disney won't be able to put it back up on top without rebuilding everything. The current ride mechanism is supposedly too heavy for the PM tower. And so the tower would have to be rebuilt/re-enforced for it to hold the weight of both attractions. Plus not to mention all the safety requirements to might have to be added for guest and CM safety.

So I think its a no-go for moving them back up top especially if they are just going to try and reuse the existing infrastructure.

mickEblu

My gut is telling me the safety and budget cautious Disney won't be able to put it back up on top without rebuilding everything. The current ride mechanism is supposedly too heavy for the PM tower. And so the tower would have to be rebuilt/re-enforced for it to hold the weight of both attractions. Plus not to mention all the safety requirements to might have to be added for guest and CM safety.

So I think its a no-go for move them back up top especially if they are just going to try and reuse the existing infrastructure.

I’d rather they remove it if they can’t move it. It’s not like DL doesn’t have enough capacity.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’d rather they remove it if they can’t move it. It’s not like DL doesn’t have enough capacity.
I dunno, there is something to be said about the idea of looking toward the TL entrance and seeing the orbitor jets spinning while seeing the PM cars gliding by on the track behind them.

Phroobar

I wonder how they would make the People Mover ADA compliant. How would they get a wheel chair or scooter locked in place fast enough? Could they take car off the track to load someone?

BrianLo

Absolutely. Some people who don’t know that a lot of commonly used slang actually comes from AAVE call it “Twitter slang” or “internet slang.” Nope, it’s AAVE. Many don’t even realize they’re speaking the dialect. I have a friend in Italy who speaks the dialect perfectly. She has no clue lol.

AAVE is very influential because we use it on social media. Then it travels and, naturally, people pick it up. I’ve even used it here a few times. It’s funny because AAVE, previously known as “Ebonics” was frowned upon for decades. I remember being a kid in the 90s and being told that I couldn’t speak that way, even though I heard other black Americans speak it. Now, it’s used everywhere and has been co-opted. Figures lol.

Here’s a great video on the topic, in case anyone’s interested:

This video was excellent by the way. I'd love stuff like this in Epcot.

Figments Friend

I’d like to call Tony Baxters biggest fan and friend to the stand. Ladies and gentlemen…. @Figments Friend

( waves )

Is today's topic 'Tarzan's Treehouse'?

Short version of the story, from what I can recall at this late hour :

Park management wanted to get rid of the ol' Swiss Family.
They evicted them out of the treehouse....and figured a gift shop is as good as anything to go in that spot.
Very uncreative...but what do you expect from retail inclined folk?

Our Hero suggests a better idea - keep the treehouse, but do a light overlay to promote the then up-and-coming release of Disney's 'Tarzan' to help promote the film.
Park management likes the sound of that, as they now don't have to pay out money to demo the treehouse and to also build the shop.
Our Hero likes the sound of this as it saves a 'vintage' Disneyland Attraction and keeps yet another gift shop out of the Park.

A small budget and a tight turnaround is given to add the 'Tarzan' overlay.
Originally, moving AA figures were wanted for the treehouse scenes but the small budget would not cover this expense, thus the 'temporary' stationary character figures were used instead.
There was intent to return at a later time and replace the 'statues' with moving figures, but alas, it never happened.

Our Hero felt it was important to add the central walkway entrance to the newly refreshed treehouse to help hide the visual intrusions from New Orleans Square and the POTC building.
With the treehouse entrance now blocking that view, Adventureland now gave the visual impression of being more remote.
Of course over the years folks have argued that this central entrance ended up creating a foot traffic bottleneck in that area.

So the new 'Tarzan's Treehouse' opens to great success at the time.
Guests love it, management is pleased, and Disneyland is spared yet another retail space selling what would have likely been the exact same merch availible down the path.
Yes, the treehouse was saved.

It's late here as I'm typing this, so can't recall the exact details...but there was some high guest satisfaction results measured at the time that I remember being told.
Something about the treehouse pulling in better attendence numbers then other Attractions...
Wish I could remember .....

-

Practical Pig

So I think its a no-go for moving them back up top especially if they are just going to try and reuse the existing infrastructure.
This has long been my assumption, as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom