Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

lazyboy97o

Not really it's usually money.
There is no singular constant means of making money. Even then, companies will still pour resources into things like vanity projects (for a recent example see the Festival Center at Epcot).

So Pressler was just being nice when he gave the greenlight to building Tarzan? Got it.
Pressler was not the sole decision maker.

yensidtlaw1969

Not really it's usually money.

So Pressler was just being nice when he gave the greenlight to building Tarzan? Got it.
It's weird that this is such a sticking point for you - the plan was to remove the Tree in favor of something else. Tony proposed a plan that would keep the tree, improve visitation, and cost less than demolishing the tree. It was ultimately decided that was a better way to go.

Pretty simple.

el_super

There is no singular constant means of making money. Even then, companies will still pour resources into things like vanity projects (for a recent example see the Festival Center at Epcot).

There are creative decisions to be made that are certainly subjective, yes. But with regard to the treehouse specifically, most of the decision making CAN be derived from objective measurements: the number of expected visitors, the number of actual visitors, the cost to convert to another facility and the like...

Pressler was not the sole decision maker.

So who was?

el_super

It's weird that this is such a sticking point for you - the plan was to remove the Tree in favor of something else. Tony proposed a plan that would keep the tree, improve visitation, and cost less than demolishing the tree. It was ultimately decided that was a better way to go.

Pretty simple.

It's not that simple really, and it just highlights a failure of how these stories are passed around. Especially when they come from Tony directly. He has a long history of framing output within a simple context: Good decisions = his, bad decisions = someone else. It fails to acknowledge that decisions within Disney (good or bad) are usually supported by a team of people, and never just one person. It also effectively deflects any real criticism of Tony's creative decisions.

This thread is a really good example of those tropes continuing. Like that the tree was saved? That was entirely on Tony. Hate that the tree blocked the street or that the figures were static? Obviously that's whoever "cut the budget" and certainly not Tony's fault.

el_super

If you don’t know who Pressler’s bosses were then you’re in no position to be “correcting” history.

No, I'm asking on who approved the funding for the Capital Project. You think Eisner signed off on it? The BOD? You think they took Tarzan's Treehouse to the shareholders for a vote? Maybe if you don't know you aren't in a position to correct history.

lazyboy97o

It's not that simple really, and it just highlights a failure of how these stories are passed around. Especially when they come from Tony directly. He has a long history of framing output within a simple context: Good decisions = his, bad decisions = someone else. It fails to acknowledge that decisions within Disney (good or bad) are usually supported by a team of people, and never just one person. It also effectively deflects any real criticism of Tony's creative decisions.

This thread is a really good example of those tropes continuing. Like that the tree was saved? That was entirely on Tony. Hate that the tree blocked the street or that the figures were static? Obviously that's whoever "cut the budget" and certainly not Tony's fault.
And yet he is very forthright that he is responsible for Tomorrowland 98.

yensidtlaw1969

No, I'm asking on who approved the funding for the Capital Project. You think Eisner signed off on it? The BOD? You think they took Tarzan's Treehouse to the shareholders for a vote? Maybe if you don't know you aren't in a position to correct history.

Listen, I'm willing to agree that there's a lot of nuance that gets missed in passing around stories on the internet, and that things can get lost even while coming from the horse's mouth. But considering you've already professed that your information about this comes from "The internet... long long ago", it seems like your issue is either with how people characterize things for the sake of expeditious conversation in a low-stakes medium on the internet, or with Tony himself, neither of which can really be solved by picking apart individual posts on this forum.

I think we're all grown up enough to recognize that when people say "Tony" did something they don't mean he had all the ideas and then drudged away over the drawing board by himself and then broke out the hammer and started framing the project with his bare hands. Of course there are teams of people at every stage. Of course there was a small bevy of people involved in turning The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse over to Tarzan. Tony's name is just the one people know, and he was part of the project, so that's how it's attributed. It doesn't seem malicious. It's fine and maybe healthy to remind people of that, but it feels like this goes deeper than that for you.

I agree that, for all his successes, there's a good bit of over-idolization by fans of Tony Baxter. But if you're disagreeing so passionately with the specific points of information being referenced here, it feels like might be because you know something we don't. If that's the case, please feel free to share, I'm sure we'd all love to know what really happened in more detail. If that's not the case, well, then I'm not sure why what's happening bothers you this much.

el_super

If that's not the case, well, then I'm not sure why what's happening bothers you this much.

Not really a bother... I just disagree with the idea that Tarzan's Treehouse wasn't also a mistake attributable to Tony. It was just a counter to the idea that Tony "should be allowed one" mistake. He's definitely made a couple.

It's just really hard to tell sometimes what is actual thoughtful discussion on the internet, versus regurgitated dogma.

mickEblu

It was just a counter to the idea that Tony "should be allowed one" mistake. He's definitely made a couple.

What an incredibly important point. There you have it folks. The man behind Splash, BTMRR, Indy, Star Tours etc…made 2 mistakes including the not so great retheme on the tree that he helped save which I think most reasonable people would at the very least consider a wash.

D.Silentu

According to @GiveMeTheMusic in the Frozen thread, the Lightyear Mountain plans were in fact real up until very recently…

Curious how this affects any of the rumored TL redo.
Presuming that the Lightyear overhaul was tied to a greater Tomorrowland reimagining, I would hope that they would one for one swap it with the Japanese plans for Space Mountain. That is, at least as far as the interior of the ride is concerned. I have to imagine that it would be an attractive notion to those in charge because while it may not have the synergy they had planned, at very least the design work has already been paid for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom