Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

lazyboy97o

Tony's name is just the one people know, and he was part of the project, so that's how it's attributed.
It’s not just that he is the one we know, he was the creative lead on the project. It’s no different than the way we attribute a movie to its director even though it ends with a list of hundreds of other names and the director doesn’t have absolute total control.

Californian Elitist

This made me realize that AAVE has influenced Zoomer speech. I had no trouble reading it and didn't view it as AAVE.
Absolutely. Some people who don’t know that a lot of commonly used slang actually comes from AAVE call it “Twitter slang” or “internet slang.” Nope, it’s AAVE. Many don’t even realize they’re speaking the dialect. I have a friend in Italy who speaks the dialect perfectly. She has no clue lol.

AAVE is very influential because we use it on social media. Then it travels and, naturally, people pick it up. I’ve even used it here a few times. It’s funny because AAVE, previously known as “Ebonics” was frowned upon for decades. I remember being a kid in the 90s and being told that I couldn’t speak that way, even though I heard other black Americans speak it. Now, it’s used everywhere and has been co-opted. Figures lol.

Here’s a great video on the topic, in case anyone’s interested:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I didn't think Tarzan was a mistake I quite liked it and am looking forward to what they are gonna do with it. It's a nice slow paced casual walkthrough, I'm into having a couple of them in each park
I agree Tarzan was more of a lateral change to me. Same with Pirates lair and the Brother Bear updates to RCCT. The only problem was the extension of the tree created a bottleneck in Adventureland. But theme-wide it was hardly a big issue. It fit the area and was a more relevant theme.

I’ll agree that Rocket Rods and really all of TL ‘98 was a “huge mistake”.

yensidtlaw1969

Presuming that the Lightyear overhaul was tied to a greater Tomorrowland reimagining, I would hope that they would one for one swap it with the Japanese plans for Space Mountain. That is, at least as far as the interior of the ride is concerned. I have to imagine that it would be an attractive notion to those in charge because while it may not have the synergy they had planned, at very least the design work has already been paid for.
I feel like I'm in what seems to be the minority of people who think the Space Mountain revamp at Tokyo Disneyland is very weird and totally excessive . . . while it's clear we don't really know all that much about it yet, that somebody thought the iconic exterior of the Space Mountain building needed anything more than just proper maintenance (let alone a complete and total overhaul) is totally bonkers to me. The exterior is arguably the most successful part of the ride, these days.

I'm sure the inside will get some very nice new effects and things, and I probably wouldn't hate some of those being imported to Disneyland, but it's wild to me how many people are begging for that new, Cool-Whip-looking version to be brought over sight unseen.

Phroobar

Was this concept for Space Mountain for Tokyo or Paris?
gsgsd.jpg

D.Silentu

The exterior is arguably the most successful part of the ride, these days.
Just want to clarify that we are on the same page here, as I mentioned I was only interested in changes to the interior. I recognize that there are a lot of questions about the Japanese refurb, but if they need to alter the ride to serve as a marquee for a new Tomorrowland, and Lightyear is out, I have more faith in what Tokyo Disney approved than what they might come up with last minute. However, in the spirit of fairness I should admit I’ve been less than impressed with the ride since the 2005 rebuild.

Californian Elitist

Lol I’m confused @Midwest Elitist is you/ Raven too?
Nope, that’s someone else. As a Californian elitist, I’m supposed to think I’m better than those from the other 49 states. I couldn’t and wouldn’t dare be from the Midwest.👸🏾💁🏾‍♀️😉 Actually, @Midwest Elitist what was your original username?

I was trying to get @LittleBuford to change his name to “British Elitist,” but he didn’t take me up on it.

Dear Prudence

This made me realize that AAVE has influenced Zoomer speech. I had no trouble reading it and didn't view it as AAVE.
The vast majority of Zoomer speech IS co-opted and appropriated AAVE. Unfortunately, because they're learning it from TikTok and it's not how any of them naturally speak (because they don't understand the linguistic nuances, prosody, nor are they informed by the organic evolution of dialects or accents) it's.... to put it nicely, a problem. Gen Z is pretty cool most of the time, but this isn't one those of instances.

Dear Prudence

I agree Tarzan was more of a lateral change to me. Same with Pirates lair and the Brother Bear updates to RCCT. The only problem was the extension of the tree created a bottleneck in Adventureland. But theme-wide it was hardly a big issue. It fit the area and was a more relevant theme.

I’ll agree that Rocket Rods and really all of TL ‘98 was a “huge mistake”.
I absolutely adore Brother Bear and was happy that they're part of the Redwood Creek Trail. I also like the Pirates Lair because in the book, Tom and Huck run away to the Island to be pirates, so that just seemed to fit both so well thematically. I am certainly going to miss the Tarzan's Treehouse theme, though. :(

My cousins got to be one of all of 12 people who rode Rocket Rods, and they were unimpressed. THAT was such a waste.

Midwest Elitist

Nope, that’s someone else. As a Californian elitist, I’m supposed to think I’m better than those from the other 49 states. I couldn’t and wouldn’t dare be from the Midwest.👸🏾💁🏾‍♀️😉 Actually, @Midwest Elitist what was your original username?

I was trying to get @LittleBuford to change his name to “British Elitist,” but he didn’t take me up on it.
Olangotang

yensidtlaw1969

Just want to clarify that we are on the same page here, as I mentioned I was only interested in changes to the interior. I recognize that there are a lot of questions about the Japanese refurb, but if they need to alter the ride to serve as a marquee for a new Tomorrowland, and Lightyear is out, I have more faith in what Tokyo Disney approved than what they might come up with last minute. However, in the spirit of fairness I should admit I’ve been less than impressed with the ride since the 2005 rebuild.
Oh totally - that comment wasn't pointed at you, it was pointed at whoever came up with the concept and whoever decided it needed financial backing (and maybe a little bit at the people who do think Disneyland needs a new look for its Space Mountain).

I personally think the 2005 redo did a decent amount of good, but I'm also of the opinion that Disney seems far too willing to let Space Mountain fail to live up to its potential. When it comes to Disneyland's E-Tickets, I feel like Space Mountain has always kind of been "doing the least" and yet everybody fawns over it. The concept is great, but the execution is mixed, and the popularity hasn't budged. This feels true for pretty much all the Space Mountains worldwide, to varying degrees - though Paris' original version was basically unimpeachable in its marriage of concept and execution.

Point being, I think there's plenty of room to improve Space Mountain, but when I see Tokyo putting so much effort into changing the outside it makes me feel like someone misunderstood what actually needed some love.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Oh totally - that comment wasn't pointed at you, it was pointed at whoever came up with the concept and whoever decided it needed financial backing (and maybe a little bit at the people who do think Disneyland needs a new look for its Space Mountain).

I personally think the 2005 redo did a decent amount of good, but I'm also of the opinion that Disney seems far too willing to let Space Mountain fail to live up to its potential. When it comes to Disneyland's E-Tickets, I feel like Space Mountain has always kind of been "doing the least" and yet everybody fawns over it. The concept is great, but the execution is mixed, and the popularity hasn't budged. This feels true for pretty much all the Space Mountains worldwide, to varying degrees - though Paris' original version was basically unimpeachable in its marriage of concept and execution.

Point being, I think there's plenty of room to improve Space Mountain, but when I see Tokyo putting so much effort into changing the outside it makes me feel like someone misunderstood what actually needed some love.
I bet Tokyo Disneyland will doing awesome for Tomorrowland Redo and new version of Space Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom