Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

SuddenStorm

Except Tomorrowland '98. Remember that was Baxter's idea too.

Yes, though there's far more that went on with Tomorrowland '98 that caused it to be lousy- and how that land turned out is hardly indicative of Baxter's creative capabilities.

But even with Tomorrowland '98, I still think Discovery Bay would be far better than Galaxy's Edge and as a general rule, projects Baxter was involved with tend to be better than most.

Movielover

Except Tomorrowland '98. Remember that was Baxter's idea too.
Can you blame him? The man designed a fantastic land and incredible designs (tomorrowland 2055), was announced by Disney to be built multiple times, all canceled. Finally given the reigns of something that was built (Tomorrowland 98) and then the company completely blundered the marketing, budget, and guest estimations to the point where it was consider a financial failure and sank a ton of other great attraction concepts. The man just really likes classic sci-fi.

Wait I'm seeing a pattern here...
😉

Phroobar

Can you blame him? The man designed a fantastic land and incredible designs (tomorrowland 2055), was announced by Disney to be built multiple times, all canceled. Finally given the reigns of something that was built (Tomorrowland 98) and then the company completely blundered the marketing, budget, and guest estimations to the point where it was consider a financial failure and sank a ton of other great attraction concepts. The man just really likes classic sci-fi.

Wait I'm seeing a pattern here...
😉
He did get to create Euro Disneyland that immediately fell on its face because others didn't understand how Europeans travel. The man has had a lot of problems with big projects that other f-up for him.

Phroobar

Lol hey the man is entitled to one mistake. He brought us Splash, BTMRR, Star Tours, Indy etc. He gets one pass.
Splash and Indy are maintenance nightmares. Most of the effects rarely work anymore.
BTMRR got someone killed. Not his fault though. Star Tours is excellent though even if it wasn't a Disney ip at the time.

mickEblu

What if we’re getting the PeopleMover back because they’re taking something else away? For example, when they messed up the POTC auction scene they gave us the old dialogue back in the caves. Makes me wonder. Should I be worried about something? Storybookland? Scary but I don’t think so. Part or all of Autopia? Would be more likely considering Trowbridges tweet and just the fact that it would be necessary for anything worthwhile to fit there.

SuddenStorm

What if we’re getting the PeopleMover back because they’re taking something else away? For example, when they messed up the POTC auction scene they gave us the old dialogue back in the caves. Makes me wonder. Should I be worried about something? Storybookland? Scary but I don’t think so. Part or all of Autopia? Would be more likely considering Trowbridges tweet and just the fact that it would be necessary for anything worthwhile to fit there.

My thought is- doesn't everything new have to revolve around IP in some way?

If Space Mountain isn't iconic enough to stand on its own and needs a Lightyear retheme, what is WDI/TDA thinking bringing back the Peoplemover?

Unless they tie the Peoplemover to some film?

mickEblu

My thought is- doesn't everything new have to revolve around IP in some way?

If Space Mountain isn't iconic enough to stand on its own and needs a Lightyear retheme, what is WDI/TDA thinking bringing back the Peoplemover?

Unless they tie the Peoplemover to some film?

I could I definitely see it being lightly themed to some IP. Not that it would make or break the attraction as the ride is what it is. A slow ride touring the land or maybe now 1/2 of the land. Or the half of TL that’s sticking around. Haha who knows? So what can they do give us a soundtrack and maybe a show scene or two in one of the buildings?

I just hit me. Maybe they’re “giving us” this for the attraction they already announced they re taking away. Splash

Consumer

For years I've wanted a return of the People Mover, yet I'm not entirely convinced I would actually ride it if it were reintroduced to Disneyland. I've never even ridden the Monorail.

SuddenStorm

I could I definitely see it being lightly themed to some IP. Not that it would make or break the attraction as the ride is what it is. A slow ride touring the land or maybe now 1/2 of the land. Or the half of TL that’s sticking around. Haha who knows? So what can they do give us a soundtrack and maybe a show scene or two in one of the buildings?

I just hit me. Maybe they’re “giving us” this for the attraction they already announced they re taking away. Splash

I still believe this is perhaps the worst possible time in Disney history for them to be doing anything major to Tomorrowland. I have no faith in the creative capabilities of Imagineering to deliver something worthwhile in what is Disneyland's most creatively confused land.

Really, Disneyland would be best if they just wrapped up redoing Toontown and let the place sit for the next decade. Refurb Indy for good measure- but cancel the Splash redo and put the majority of Resort spend into Downtown Disney (which needs help) and getting that Avenger's E Ticket up and running- cause that land needs it. Disneyland has undergone an astronomical amount of change the last 5 years and they should let the dust settle and see what sticks and what doesn't before messing with it further.

At most they should bring back the Peoplemover, restore the Rocket Jets to where they should be, and finish that entrance redo they announced. So really- just making it like it was in '94, ha!

mickEblu

For years I've wanted a return of the People Mover, yet I'm not entirely convinced I would actually ride it if it were reintroduced to Disneyland. I've never even ridden the Monorail.

Haha Neither did anyone else. That’s why the turned it into the Rocket Rods. As an AP I’ll definitely ride it but wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t very often. Regardless it’ll be great for the land and bring a lot of kinetic energy back.

Consumer

I still believe this is perhaps the worst possible time in Disney history for them to be doing anything major to Tomorrowland. I have no faith in the creative capabilities of Imagineering to deliver something worthwhile in what is Disneyland's most creatively confused land.

Really, Disneyland would be best if they just wrapped up redoing Toontown and let the place sit for the next decade. Refurb Indy for good measure- but cancel the Splash redo and put the majority of Resort spend into Downtown Disney (which needs help) and getting that Avenger's E Ticket up and running- cause that land needs it. Disneyland has undergone an astronomical amount of change the last 5 years and they should let the dust settle and see what sticks and what doesn't before messing with it further.

At most they should bring back the Peoplemover, restore the Rocket Jets to where they should be, and finish that entrance redo they announced. So really- just making it like it was in '94, ha!
It's unbelievable how little Disneyland changed from 1995 to 2010, and then how much it has changed from 2011 to 2022. Disneyland isn't some local park that needs a hot new attraction to bring in guests so it's strange to me that Disney is so obsessed with pouring money into that when really all the park needs to get crowds is proper maintenance.

mickEblu

It's unbelievable how little Disneyland changed from 1995 to 2010, and then how much it has changed from 2011 to 2022. Disneyland isn't some local park that needs a hot new attraction to bring in guests so it's strange to me that Disney is so obsessed with pouring money into that when really all the park needs to get crowds is proper maintenance.

Well the argument would be that they do all the small changes for their Magic Keys but they re also unfavorable so I don’t think they know what they want or what they re doing. Well they want their cake and they want to eat it too. It appears they have multiple conflicting objectives that they try to dissect on a minute to minute basis with a fine tooth comb. No real vision or leader that cares about anything beyond right now

Phroobar

And reduce the crowds to '94 levels.

PiratesMansion

He did get to create Euro Disneyland that immediately fell on its face because others didn't understand how Europeans travel. The man has had a lot of problems with big projects that other f-up for him.
There was nothing wrong with EDL/DLP, the park, as designed (the part he was responsible for).

The failure of the enterprise was, yes, a lack of understanding that a park in Europe wouldn't even reach American (let alone Japanese) spending, but also tremendous overbuilding of hotels, one of which was by itself one of the largest hotels in all of Europe. Both of those decisions were made by people WELL ABOVE Baxter's pay grade.

And if nothing else, the dude GETS Disneyland and what makes it all work. Far more than many of the people in charge of the place right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom