Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Californian Elitist

Does anyone else low-key wish that WDW would ship The Carousel of Progress back to Disneyland so they can open a properly-refurbed version of the show in the old Carousel Theatre?

Not that I particularly want to lose it at WDW, but like the MSEP I get the impression that Disneyland would take better care of it. Not to mention that DL audience has a reverence for it that I would suspect outclasses that of its WDW fans.
I had this very thought when I rode it at MK this past May. It smelled like an elderly person’s living room in that theater. It smelled old and tired. I do believe that DL would likely take better care of the ride and update it. I wouldn’t be mad if it came home, as long as it was updated.

TP2000

What about an Avatar: The Way of Water attraction replacing the Nemu Subs?

When you can get at least two or three kids showing up on my doorstep on Halloween dressed as some Avatar blue alien, with or without a snorkel mask, we can talk. The kids don't care one whit about 2009's Avatar movie.

Until then... Avatar is dead in the water. (Get it?)

TP2000

I had this very thought when I rode it at MK this past May. It smelled like an elderly person’s living room in that theater. It smelled old and tired. I do believe that DL would likely take better care of the ride and update it. I wouldn’t be mad if it came home, as long as it was updated.

WDW has horrible maintenance. Especially of its older non-hip rides.

But if they do bring Carousel of Progress back to Disneyland, I really hope they can transfer this Florida CM to Anaheim to be the Trainer and show the Californians how World Class Guest Service is really done...

yensidtlaw1969

Who put together the latest version of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln? I thought they did great work on that. Get that team on the project, have them make the first 3 acts sparkle, and give us a brand new fourth act.

That the show is still running would make its return all the more special - despite its changes, it is largely the same physical production that actually played both Disneyland and the Original World's Fair. It's one thing to try to build a new version of a long-gone attraction, but it's something else to have the chance to once again encounter the original. The Main Street Electrical Parade is like this, and people eat it up. Not to mention that the theme song absolutely deserves to live once again among the most classic music to be found in Disneyland, and Disneyland deserves the song as well.

Tomorrowland feels like it's missing a human element that all the other lands manage to offer. I'd love to see the Carousel Family take up residence back in their earlier home. A refreshed Carousel of Progress could return some of that human element, give Tomorrowland a slew of non-movie-based, Disneyland Original characters the land is largely missing, and breathe a healthy dose of Disneyland Nostalgia in any forthcoming new version of the land. Not to mention that it would open up WDW to make some moves in their Tomorrowland without feeling hampered by a valuable piece of nostalgia they seem to have little respect for.

lazyboy97o

Who put together the latest version of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln? I thought they did great work on that. Get that team on the project, have them make the first 3 acts sparkle, and give us a brand new fourth act.
Josh Shipley lead that team. He left in 2017 to go work on Evermore and is now doing other things.

Last edited:

tcool123

When you can get at least two or three kids showing up on my doorstep on Halloween dressed as some Avatar blue alien, with or without a snorkel mask, we can talk. The kids don't care one whit about 2009's Avatar movie.

Until then... Avatar is dead in the water. (Get it?)
Avatar remains insanely popular at Animal Kingdom and a strong force in merchandising for that park. You see kids and adults with Navi tails, headbands, ears, and shoulder banshees pretty often in Florida. People love Avatar in Florida, and based on what I’ve seen I’d assume Disney would want to bring that love to California given how they try to push Figment and Orange Bird merchandise here, and Duffy and Gang in the domestic parks. Also suggested it as Avatar is set in the future and Nemo was set in the early 2000’s.

At the same time how often have you seen a kid pull up as Crush or Nemo in a giant fish costume?

Phroobar

Avatar remains insanely popular at Animal Kingdom and a strong force in merchandising for that park. You see kids and adults with Navi tails, headbands, ears, and shoulder banshees pretty often in Florida. People love Avatar in Florida, and based on what I’ve seen I’d assume Disney would want to bring that love to California given how they try to push Figment and Orange Bird merchandise here, and Duffy and Gang in the domestic parks. Also suggested it as Avatar is set in the future and Nemo was set in the early 2000’s.

At the same time how often have you seen a kid pull up as Crush or Nemo in a giant fish costume?
The only reason it is popular there is because there isn't anything else to do in that park. Park merch doesn't make it popular with the general population. How many Avatar t-shirts are available at Target nationwide? However, you do see Nemo & Crush t-shirts in the totter clothes sections at Target.

tcool123

The only reason it is popular there is because there isn't anything else to do in that park. Park merch doesn't make it popular with the general population. How many Avatar t-shirts are available at Target nationwide? However, you do see Nemo & Crush t-shirts in the totter clothes sections at Target.
Even then waits over there are still known to reach three hours, and if you ask people what their favorite ride is at the resort many will say Flight Of Passage. Dont disagree with the merchandise in the general population, but at the same time the majority of park created merchandise like Figment and Orange Bird aren’t popular with the general public yet they sell well in Florida.

I do feel like Avatar has proven itself in Florida, and it should only be a matter of time following the sequels likely success (albeit not to the same success of the original) that we see more Avatar at other resorts. But again that’s just me.

Phroobar

Even then waits over there are still known to reach three hours, and if you ask people what their favorite ride is at the resort many will say Flight Of Passage. Dont disagree with the merchandise in the general population, but at the same time the majority of park created merchandise like Figment and Orange Bird aren’t popular with the general public yet they sell well in Florida.

I do feel like Avatar has proven itself in Florida, and it should only be a matter of time following the sequels likely success (albeit not to the same success of the original) that we see more Avatar at other resorts. But again that’s just me.
I agree it would be nice to have it on the west coast. It would help the idea of Tomorrowland other watching animated fish talk underwater.

However there is something wrong with a ride queue that reaches three hours. Ride queues should never reach that no matter what it is. If Disney puts in a low capacity high price ride in a park with few rides to begin with, they have only to blame themselves. A ride should be more reliable than that. We sometimes forget that a tourist will go on all rides they can in their vacation regardless of IP. The ride would be just as popular if it was based on a Disney Nature movie.

999happyhants

Wanted to make a comment about the Peoplemover. It seems that Imagineering might be in a tough place with the entire subs/autopia area as well as Tomorrowland. Its this big area that I'm sure they would love to work on, however since the areas are so intertwined any work you do on one project will more then likely affect the other. Any work that is done on any part of that area, they would have to end the decades long stalemate either way. I'm sure Disney has some kind of plans for that area, whether it be for Fantasyland as was rumored a few years ago, or for a complete Tomorrowland re-do. Either way we will get some kind of answer.

Phroobar

hgg.jpg

sneak peak.

Movielover

You wish.

Ah yes, back when Tony kept doing everything he could to milk his Discovery Bay work for any project anywhere.
Can you blame him? The man designed a fantastic land and incredible designs, was announced by Disney to be built multiple times, all canceled. Finally given the reigns of something that was built (Disneyland Paris) and then the company completely blundered the marketing, foreign relations, and guest estimations to the point where it was consider a finical failure and sank a ton of other great attraction concepts. The man just really likes classic sci-fi.

SuddenStorm

As much as I like ge, I'd rather there be a discovery bay in that location. I'm just glad some of the designs and style made it to Paris

I have to imagine most on this forum agree with you.

As far as I'm concerned, the more Baxter designed stuff in Disneyland- the better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom