Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

Consumer

Bring back The Space Place.

1660096761449.png

tcool123

What about an Avatar: The Way of Water attraction replacing the Nemu Subs?

Nemo is an okay ride that I’m not sure anyone truly loves, and the biggest appeal is the kinetics of the subs, aesthetics of the lagoon, and the history behind it. The IP itself is the worst fit for an IP in any land I feel, and Avatar is actually set in the far off future.

Avatar itself has no presence in Anaheim, and it would allow for Disney to continue its leverage of the IP. The retheme could be tied to ACE as an expansion of its offerings as it leaves The Valley of Mo’ara to a new area adding onto the mythos at DAK. The theming could go beyond the Submarine Lagoon with the path from Nemo to the Matterhorn getting various glowing alien plants that were developed for Florida, and it would add something more to see in that area along with more lighting. The Avatar theme could expand to Autopia as that ride could be rovers on Pandora going through the jungle, with some spectacular visuals at night with bioluminescence.

Too me it would make sense for part of a Tomorrowland retheme, and it makes for a nice transition area from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland.

Consumer

What about an Avatar: The Way of Water attraction replacing the Nemu Subs?

Nemo is an okay ride that I’m not sure anyone truly loves, and the biggest appeal is the kinetics of the subs, aesthetics of the lagoon, and the history behind it. The IP itself is the worst fit for an IP in any land I feel, and Avatar is actually set in the far off future.

Avatar itself has no presence in Anaheim, and it would allow for Disney to continue its leverage of the IP. The retheme could be tied to ACE as an expansion of its offerings as it leaves The Valley of Mo’ara to a new area adding onto the mythos at DAK. The theming could go beyond the Submarine Lagoon with the path from Nemo to the Matterhorn getting various glowing alien plants that were developed for Florida, and it would add something more to see in that area along with more lighting. The Avatar theme could expand to Autopia as that ride could be rovers on Pandora going through the jungle, with some spectacular visuals at night with bioluminescence.

Too me it would make sense for part of a Tomorrowland retheme, and it makes for a nice transition area from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland.
As long as nothing happens to the giant sea bass.
1660098503642.png

Sir_Cliff

That was my default choice for Tomorrowland/ Launch Bay until it opened at Epcot. I’m a little underwhelmed by the videos I’ve seen and apparently that goes for the people who have been in person as well. From what I understand it’s also overpriced for the food quality even by Disney standards. With that said, I like the concept and would be ok with it coming to DL with the hopes that the execution is better.
I must say that Space 220 is one of the most traditionally Disney concepts they've added to the parks in a long time, regardless of the fact it's actually operated by an outside vendor. No IP tie-in, just a cool idea based on something guests would want to experience.

From what I read, the execution is less-than-perfect. Still, I think they would at least care about this at Disneyland in a way they may not at WDW and try to improve it if they were to bring it to Tomorrowland.

tcool123

I must say that Space 220 is one of the most traditionally Disney concepts they've added to the parks in a long time, regardless of the fact it's actually operated by an outside vendor. No IP tie-in, just a cool idea based on something guests would want to experience.

From what I read, the execution is less-than-perfect. Still, I think they would at least care about this at Disneyland in a way they may not at WDW and try to improve it if they were to bring it to Tomorrowland.
The Carousel Building would be a good candidate for a Space 220 clone as it has a similar building shape, and for added fapacity it could use both floors

mickEblu

I think just making it taller with a longer/ faster elevator ride would go a long way. The facade should be a cool weenie for the land. Like a Disneyland scale version of the the icon/ restaurant from LAX which also happens to perfectly match the TL 67 aesthetic.

As for the inside make the screens more realistic with less cartoony stuff going on.

4E3E8FA3-69FA-41C1-AE4F-D1AD254C4737.jpeg

Phroobar

The Carousel Building would be a good candidate for a Space 220 clone as it has a similar building shape, and for added fapacity it could use both floors
I think it would be too much space to waste as a restaurant. How about part Mission Space and part Space 220? They can throw Pizza Planet into the expansion.

Consumer

Space 220 is a fun concept, but if it were to be brought to Disneyland I would want it slightly tweaked. Rather than an elevator to the space station, a rocket, and rather than a space station, a lunar base. Call it Space Station X-2.

tcool123

I think it would be too much space to waste as a restaurant. How about part Mission Space and part Space 220? They can throw Pizza Planet into the expansion.
I dont think Mission: Space would be a good clone, it’s not the most lived attraction at Epcot given its intensity. The tame version is boring as dirt so that doesn’t help porting it over either.

Maybe some sort of Time Travel or Other Dimension concept? Strange World, if successful, would be a great way to revitalize Tomorrowland especially if Disney leans onto Avatar and alien plants creating a scifi vibe

Phroobar

I dont think Mission: Space would be a good clone, it’s not the most lived attraction at Epcot given its intensity. The tame version is boring as dirt so that doesn’t help porting it over either.

Maybe some sort of Time Travel or Other Dimension concept? Strange World, if successful, would be a great way to revitalize Tomorrowland especially if Disney leans onto Avatar and alien plants creating a scifi vibe
Personally, I would like to see Horizons 2.0 put in that spot. It would be a updated new omnimover version of the ride. They could still add the restaurant.

tcool123

Personally, I would like to see Horizons 2.0 put in that spot. It would be a updated new omnimover version of the ride. They could still add the restaurant.
Split the development cost with Epcot and you got yourself a deal. Unfortunately I don’t see the company, as is doing a large Omnimover style attraction without an IP.

Brer Panther

...have there ever been any pitches to do a WALL-E attraction for Disneyland's Tomorrowland? Or the Magic Kingdom's, for that matter?

I've heard the idea for a "Buy 'n' Large-sponsored Peoplemover" suggested on this site before.

Phroobar

Split the development cost with Epcot and you got yourself a deal. Unfortunately I don’t see the company, as is doing a large Omnimover style attraction without an IP.
Wall*E can be the IP. We are invited to tour what future living will look like at an expo presented by "Buy 'n' Large". Or heck, make it Stark Industries if we must.

Nland316

I could see something like this taking up the area way too easily.

17D196F2-E550-474E-B5C3-5EF31BEF4B4F.jpeg

You can have the bottom floor be self seating, middle floor be Space 220, and the rooftop floor could be dedicated to the current fireworks packages offered.

Would solve any concerns for the berm as well.

lazyboy97o

View attachment 659387

You can have the bottom floor be self seating, middle floor be Space 220, and the rooftop floor could be dedicated to the current fireworks packages offered.

I’m guessing DS+R didn’t relinquish all of their rights to that design.

Phroobar

View attachment 659387

Except it has to be a ride there. That is too much space to waste on a reservations only restaurant with surrounded by video screens.

yensidtlaw1969

Does anyone else low-key wish that WDW would ship The Carousel of Progress back to Disneyland so they can open a properly-refurbed version of the show in the old Carousel Theatre?

Not that I particularly want to lose it at WDW, but like the MSEP I get the impression that Disneyland would take better care of it. Not to mention that DL audience has a reverence for it that I would suspect outclasses that of its WDW fans.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom