Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

truecoat

I’ve recently heard that at some point in the future, LAX will ban people from dropping off and picking up people at the terminals to help solve the traffic issue. If this is true, a people mover will be very helpful.

The Intermodal Transportation Facility or ITF West will be an offsite parking facility and dropoff/pickup for passengers going to LAX. Rather than getting stuck in the loop, you can drop off and pick up people here. With most shuttle buses eliminated or moved to ITF West, it will be a lot easier to get to and from the airport.

ITF West.jpg

ITF.jpg

Phroobar

The Intermodal Transportation Facility or ITF West will be an offsite parking facility and dropoff/pickup for passengers going to LAX. Rather than getting stuck in the loop, you can drop off and pick up people here. With most shuttle buses eliminated or moved to ITF West, it will be a lot easier to get to and from the airport.
That must be the People Mover I saw a couple of months ago at LAX. How come they can do something this cool and Disneyland can't?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
There isn't any place on the internet that represents true reality of public opinion, but DLR is probably more active on Twitter and the vlogosphere than any message board.
I would say outside of Twitter the largest community of fans that congregate in a "message board" style of community is on Reddit.

1659636280012.png

Almost half a million members and there are usually 500+ of them online at any given time. The only problem with reddit is since it is a karma-based system it highly encourages group-think mentalities and anyone who disagrees with group-think gets voted down into oblivion, so it tends to be a very "pixie-dust" group of people, so I'm not sure if I'd consider it the reality of public opinion as much as Twitter might be.

shambolicdefending

I would say outside of Twitter the largest community of fans that congregate in a "message board" style of community is on Reddit.

View attachment 657987

Almost half a million members and there are usually 500+ of them online at any given time. The only problem with reddit is since it is a karma-based system it highly encourages group-think mentalities and anyone who disagrees with group-think gets voted down into oblivion, so it tends to be a very "pixie-dust" group of people, so I'm not sure if I'd consider it the reality of public opinion as much as Twitter might be.
That's really the problem of almost all social media forums. Even this one. Unpopular opinions don't survive long.

Phroobar

View attachment 657987

That is why Disney uses Reddit in their decision making. It is the Disney does no wrong group. Disney is looking for the response they want to justify to executive management.

CaptinEO

The WDW fans who do care about quality need a louder voice, but maybe there aren’t enough of them. I’m reminded of when the DL Main Street Cinema was temporarily turned into a shop for a few hours before DL fans shamed and metaphorically stoned whomever was behind that decision, resulting in the removal of the shop a few days layers. So far, I haven’t seen that kind of influence from WDW fans, personally. When the focus is mainly on size and numbers and not quality, then I guess this is what folks get: a very corporate Disney resort that lacks substance. Some people joke about DLR’s small size, but I would argue it’s been more of a blessing than WDW’s large size has been. Disneyland has, in ways, benefited from its smaller size, and it definitely benefits from being the original park. Because it’s the first, I think more care is taken and it is arguably more valued, at least if we’re comparing park to park.
For this post I can think of the recent Magic Kingdom DJ that happened either this or last year. He was playing pop/dance music at the train station at the exit of Magic Kingdom and talking, that only lasted a few days before the complaints caused him to go.

Someone even caught the photo of him setting up gear one day while a manager talked to him and he did not appear that night or ever since.

I think WDW fans care a lot but that management there just doesn't care. Disneyland seems to have many very long term employees in charge to keep the pressure of change at bay as they understand the park's history while any attraction at WDW is basically seen as disposable.

Just look at the late 90s / early 2000s. Disneyland did lose the People Mover and Country Bears but Disney World lost 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mr Toads Wild Ride, The Time Keeper/Alien Encounter, Horizons, Making of Me, Cranium Command, World in Motion, Sea Base Alpha, Body Wars, and Journey Into Imagination.

I don't think anyone working in the high ranks at Disney World has an understanding of their history.

PiratesMansion

For this post I can think of the recent Magic Kingdom DJ that happened either this or last year. He was playing pop/dance music at the train station at the exit of Magic Kingdom and talking, that only lasted a few days before the complaints caused him to go.

Someone even caught the photo of him setting up gear one day while a manager talked to him and he did not appear that night or ever since.

I think WDW fans care a lot but that management there just doesn't care. Disneyland seems to have many very long term employees in charge to keep the pressure of change at bay as they understand the park's history while any attraction at WDW is basically seen as disposable.

Just look at the late 90s / early 2000s. Disneyland did lose the People Mover and Country Bears but Disney World lost 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mr Toads Wild Ride, The Time Keeper/Alien Encounter, Horizons, Making of Me, Cranium Command, World in Motion, Sea Base Alpha, Body Wars, and Journey Into Imagination.

I don't think anyone working in the high ranks at Disney World has an understanding of their history.
I would say that in WDW Fandom the pixie dusters tend to overwhelm the ones who want to hold the company accountable by a significant margin, though part of that is a much larger % of people who are less nuanced in the product because going to WDW is such a production that most people can only do it so many times.

But definitely worth highlighting how much WDW lost especially in the 90s and how few people in the Fandom seem to care or even aware.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I would say that in WDW Fandom the pixie dusters tend to overwhelm the ones who want to hold the company accountable by a significant margin, though part of that is a much larger % of people who are less nuanced in the product because going to WDW is such a production that most people can only do it so many times.

But definitely worth highlighting how much WDW lost especially in the 90s and how few people in the Fandom seem to care or even aware.
This is what I was getting at when I said they’re outnumbered. It seems the ones that go less often are likely to be considered more over those who are dedicated locals that love the place. The opposite of here, basically.

Californian Elitist

This is what I don’t understand at all. There’s supposed to be all this space at WDW, yet when something new goes in, it tends to replace a ride. Not sure why that is.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

This is what I don’t understand at all. There’s supposed to be all this space at WDW, yet when something new goes in, it tends to replace a ride. Not sure why that is.
Just my opinion but I think the TDO management is still in the mindset that each park should fit a certain pre-conceived mold and that expanding any one park with too many attractions is a zero sum game at the expense of the others and simply a waste since it won’t contribute to additional time/money spent by your average tourist.

They have a metric for how much time people will spend in each park and if the park is too lopsided then it will just devalue the other parks. I also think (rightly or wrongly) they don’t view their audience as being as sophisticated so they use WDW as a platform for recent IPs which is how you get an anniversary celebration that looks like an infomercial for the last 20 years of Disney animated soundtracks sponsored by Disney+(TM).

For Disneyland since the vast majority of the park is regulars/locals that have grown up with the place, TDA management has had more heartburn at the thought of removing attractions people are fond of for fear of pushback (though I do kinda sense that’s slowly changing). So they squeeze more rides wherever they can with more minimal disruption to the existing integrity of the design which is how you get a castle park with an insane attraction count.

Californian Elitist

Just my opinion but I think the TDO management is still in the mindset that each park should fit a certain pre-conceived mold and that expanding any one park with too many attractions is a zero sum game at the expense of the others and simply a waste since it won’t contribute to additional time/money spent by your average tourist.

They have a metric for how much time people will spend in each park and if the park is too lopsided then it will just devalue the other parks. I also think (rightly or wrongly) they don’t view their audience as being as sophisticated so they use WDW as a platform for recent IPs which is how you get an anniversary celebration that looks like an infomercial for the last 20 years of Disney animated soundtracks sponsored by Disney+(TM).

For Disneyland since the vast majority of the park is regulars/locals that have grown up with the place, TDA management has had more heartburn at the thought of removing attractions people are fond of for fear of pushback (though I do kinda sense that’s slowly changing). So they squeeze more rides wherever they can with more minimal disruption to the existing integrity of the design which is how you get a castle park with an insane attraction count.
This theory makes sense. If this is actually what’s happening, then wow. That’s dumb. I’ve noticed that some of the new tech thingies, or cash grabs, originate in WDW. The new magic band is an example of this. I think Disney is charging between $30 and $45 for the new bands, and they don’t seem to do much, other than trigger sounds from the 50th anniversary statues.

mickEblu

How about something like a Space 220 restaurant?

That was my default choice for Tomorrowland/ Launch Bay until it opened at Epcot. I’m a little underwhelmed by the videos I’ve seen and apparently that goes for the people who have been in person as well. From what I understand it’s also overpriced for the food quality even by Disney standards. With that said, I like the concept and would be ok with it coming to DL with the hopes that the execution is better.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom