Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

lazyboy97o

You were saying well-documented structural problems. That has nothing to do with the feel of the ride. Is the ride going jump the tracks and fly off into Alice's Under Land below? I don't think it is rough and tumble by "Disney standards" whatever that is. Goofy's sky school throws you pretty hard during it's turns and its stops will make you throw up. I think the problem you are referring to is the ride isn't comfortable for people of size. It was designed for people of a 1960s body frame and not the ECV riders of today. If someone has trouble fitting in the vehicle, they probably shouldn't do it.

There is no reason to remove or rebuild the ride unless we all look like the people in Wall*E.
It’s not just rider size, the way the ride was designed also has an impact. It wasn’t designed around the heart line so the body does move about more. It was also all hand calculations for something that really had not been done before.

el_super

It’s not just rider size, the way the ride was designed also has an impact. It wasn’t designed around the heart line so the body does move about more. It was also all hand calculations for something that really had not been done before.

There was also a major operational/design change (adding the tandem bobselds) in the 1970s.

shambolicdefending

You were saying well-documented structural problems. That has nothing to do with the feel of the ride. Is the ride going jump the tracks and fly off into Alice's Under Land below? I don't think it is rough and tumble by "Disney standards" whatever that is. Goofy's sky school throws you pretty hard during it's turns and its stops will make you throw up. I think the problem you are referring to is the ride isn't comfortable for people of size. It was designed for people of a 1960s body frame and not the ECV riders of today. If someone has trouble fitting in the vehicle, they probably shouldn't do it.

There is no reason to remove or rebuild the ride unless we all look like the people in Wall*E.
Again, "structural problems" and "might fly off the track" are not the same thing (although it is fairly well-documented that the original rock structures are decaying). It has structural problems because the actual structure of the ride doesn't allow for a comfortable experience.

And not just extras from Wall-E, either. I'm under six feet tall and not close to obese, and it's a very rough ride for me. My fairly petite wife will tell you her experience is similar, as will many others of various shapes and sizes.

PiratesMansion

I get that the chunk of structure falling off isn't great, but so far as I know we have no proof that it was anything more than a one time incident, or that the mountain is in imminent danger of collapse.

Of course it gets rehabs all the time, it's old. Two tracks with capacity that doubled beyond the original intended design, the transitions aren't the smoothest because of its age, and it ends by going through water. Ride vehicles going through water inherently makes things more complicated, and the Matterhorn has things about it that make it more complicated than the other roller coasters.

The ride might be "Disney rough," but there are plenty of rides out there that are rougher if you travel to many, many other parks out there. The comfort issue is actually better now than it was a couple of years ago when they put in the additional padding.

I just think that altering the Matterhorn in any significant way will have more of an affect on Disneyland than some might realize, even if it's just the feel of the place. One of the things that makes Disneyland special and distinct from the other parks is the Matterhorn precisely as is. It's just not Disneyland without the Matterhorn.

I'm sure there will be a point where they need to do significant work, and fine, it happens. Rides and structures age. But I do hope that when they inevitably have to do serious work on the ride and the mountain itself, whenever that may be, they are very careful to preserve what works about the Matterhorn, both what it is and what it means for the place.

Last edited:

Consumer

The more I have thought about it, the more convinced I am of the potential in tearing down the Matterhorn. I envision, from where the Matterhorn up to the Motorboat Cruise pond, an Alpine subland with a new Matterhorn where the current one sits, a small Alpine range running up towards "it's a small world," and an Alpine village nestled at the bottom. With this new Matterhorn would come more advanced rockwork, a few mountain goats on the rockface, a better integration of the Monorail into the mountain to hide its support pillars, and a return of a new Skyway cutting through the center of the mountain. In the village, an Alpine restaurant, some gift shops, the entrance to the Matterhorn queue, now hidden away in a Swiss forest, as well as the entrance to a miniature train ride through the Alpine range. Perhaps, and this is where I grow more ambitious, a boat ride beneath the mountains, traveling through caverns and underground rivers. Maybe it is merely a revival of the Motorboat Cruise, or perhaps it could be a narrative driven adventure with fantastical set pieces, drawing inspiration from Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Maybe this is all too ambitious, really, and its scale would be extensive for Disneyland, erasing the charm and simplicity of the current Matterhorn. Regardless, the two things I can say confidently is it is a better use of space than Disney currently manages, and secondly neither the Monorail nor Autopia tracks would have to be rerouted in the process. Personally, I just like the idea of Disneyland maintaining its identity but still growing and evolving, as well as packing in attractions as tightly as possible, rather than spending several acres on one mediocre ride (see: Smuggler's Run).

lazyboy97o

I get that the chunk of structure falling off isn't great, but so far as I know we have no proof that it was anything more than a one time incident, or that the mountain is in imminent danger of collapse.
I don’t recall there being a structural failure associated with the rock work that failed. While the Matterhorn as a whole may be referred to as a “structure” not all of it is “structural”.

GiveMeTheMusic

J4546

LAX just accepted delivery of its first people mover vehicle. People movers are so hot right now!

no lie, when the peoplemover goes online in the next couple years and LAX finally has a metro connection, that will do a lot to alleviate traffic all over. Along with all the new subway lines and extensions opening up in the next couple years, LA traffic will always be terrible, but mass transit is about to be a whole lot better for all.

el_super

no lie, when the peoplemover goes online in the next couple years and LAX finally has a metro connection, that will do a lot to alleviate traffic all over. Along with all the new subway lines and extensions opening up in the next couple years, LA traffic will always be terrible, but mass transit is about to be a whole lot better for all.

I like the idea of being able to take the people mover rather than the shuttle bus at LAX, but they are easily my least favorite thing about MCO. I also don't think the traffic problems at LAX will be alleviated by this.

Californian Elitist

LAX just accepted delivery of its first people mover vehicle. People movers are so hot right now!

I’ve recently heard that at some point in the future, LAX will ban people from dropping off and picking up people at the terminals to help solve the traffic issue. If this is true, a people mover will be very helpful.

Also, your last sentence… I see what you’re doing. Maybe the PM is coming home to Anaheim.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I see that wink that you're doing there.....

But seriously why are more areas not investing in PMs/PRTs, it just make sense to add more transit options. Not really for this thread, but just a generic thing I ponder.

PiratesMansion

They'll screw it up, I'm sure of it. The press release/announcement alone will be cringe, something like:
Coming soon to Tomorrowland, a reminder of the famous Walt Disney quote, that Disneyland will never be complete. We proudly present a project that we know would make him proud, the Amazing Zootopia peoplemover, featuring inspiring, extremely Disney vignettes from the hit film Zootopia!

From you're exciting aerial journey through Zootopialand Tomorrowland, you'll see beloved landmarks from the Zootopia universe like our Starbucks parody, our Target parody (and note our DisneyStoreTM pop-up inside!), and all the other beloved places that are just like places you already love, but from Zootopia!

Incidentally it will transport guests around Tomorrowland along a similar route of that old boring relic Peoplemover thing that we had that y'all still like so much for some reason, but are you sure you wouldn't rather talk about how much there will be ZOOTOPIA?!?!??!?

mickEblu

For all the talk that fans are impossible to please, there are at least a couple moves they could make that would recieve near-universal praise.

Provided they don't screw it up somehow, the return of The Peoplemover would be one of them.

No, we’ll still complain that it’s a shortened track that’s not going over Autopia anymore haha. But seriously, it doesn’t take much to please us. The new Hungry Bear sign received universal praise.

Californian Elitist

For all the talk that fans are impossible to please, there are at least a couple moves they could make that would recieve near-universal praise.

Provided they don't screw it up somehow, the return of The Peoplemover would be one of them.
I think it’s fair that there’s only a certain kind of Disney fan that’s hard to please. The general fans that don’t care as much, or at all, about the history, theming, details, etc. tend to welcome anything Disney announces for the parks lol. But, yes, the return of the PM would more likely than not be an accepted announcement by the purist/more “dedicated” fans.

Californian Elitist

They'll screw it up, I'm sure of it. The press release/announcement alone will be cringe, something like:
Coming soon to Tomorrowland, a reminder of the famous Walt Disney quote, that Disneyland will never be complete. We proudly present a project that we know would make him proud, the Amazing Zootopia peoplemover, featuring inspiring, extremely Disney vignettes from the hit film Zootopia!

From you're exciting aerial journey through Zootopialand Tomorrowland, you'll see beloved landmarks from the Zootopia universe like our Starbucks parody, our Target parody (and note our DisneyStoreTM pop-up inside!), and all the other beloved places that are just like places you already love, but from Zootopia!

Incidentally it will transport guests around Tomorrowland along a similar route of that old boring relic Peoplemover thing that we had that y'all still like so much for some reason, but are you sure you wouldn't rather talk about how much there will be ZOOTOPIA?!?!??!?
They’ll definitely throw in some sort of Walt-related Disneyland quote or fact in there! That’s a given.

SuddenStorm

Bringing back the Peoplemover is perfect because

1. It isn't taking anything away.
2. It hearkens back to pre 1998 Tomorrowland.
3. It's high capacity, relaxing, and a good 'diversion'.
4. It would add kinetic energy to the park.
5. It would hopefully be accompanied by getting the Rocket Jets back up where they belong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom