Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

RonnieHare

I have no issue with Disney wanting to increase Revenue - i have HUGE issues when they aren't investing in their resorts.

If you are making record profits, record attendance, you should be investing and giving your 'guests' new attractions.

Essentially what they are doing now is asset stripping the theme park divison - squeezing as much out of it as posisble without putting anything back. And before anyone says - STAR WARS IS COMING - yes in a decades time. These parks needed investment years ago, not a decade into the future.

Nmoody1

I still don't understand why people feel the need to justify why it's ok for Disney - a company that already make ridiculous profits ' to add a resort fee for things that have been historically free.

It may seem like a simple change now, but add this to increased park entry (paying more for busier days = paying more to stand in line), a reduction in check in staff so you wait in line longer, an increase in the dining plan so your dumbed down food with dumbed down menus costs more.

I know many of the defenders didn't visit disney pre 9/11 - but this was a time when EPCOT had countless entertainment offerings in world showcase AND future world. When the Fountain of Nations actually worked, when innovations (both sides) were full of exhibits.

EACH park at WDW had a parade. Fair enough it may have been a logistical nightmare, bit a true fact is that a parade sucks up crowds... you don't need $2m worth of wrist bands and phone apps that make the FastPass+ system supposedly spread the crowds.

Hollywood Studios had countless more shows and attractions.

You could walk up to a restaurant in any park and get a table for that day. You may have had to wait with a pager - but imagine going to whatever park you decide to go to that day and whilst there be able to get a fastpass for the major name attractions and a table at a sit down table restaurant of your choice.

Fair enough, there are planners, fair enough disney is a business, fair enough some things have to change. But these days unless you are a crazy person who needs thier time planned minute by minute, day by day, 60 days in advance (spontaneity, anyone?) And you are willing to pay WAY over the top for it, a disney vacation sadly is no longer for you. They really have reduced the appeal to most except for dumbed down eaters and crazy planners who have too much money!

But where does it stop?

Resort fees, if introduced will only increase.

How long before a new wave of cuts is introduced.

How many up charge events need to be added before you thibk 'hey, when we visited last time this was included in an already inflated price'

peter11435

I have no issue with Disney wanting to increase Revenue - i have HUGE issues when they aren't investing in their resorts.

If you are making record profits, record attendance, you should be investing and giving your 'guests' new attractions.

Essentially what they are doing now is asset stripping the theme park divison - squeezing as much out of it as posisble without putting anything back. And before anyone says - STAR WARS IS COMING - yes in a decades time. These parks needed investment years ago, not a decade into the future.

New castle stage show
Frozen ever after
Soarin over the world
Toy Story land with two additional rides
Rivers of Light
Night safaris
Pandora with two attractions

Seanual757

Presumably this is being instituted as a result of guest demand. :rolleyes:

I wonder if DVC members staying on points will have to pay this fee in cash on top. That would not make me a happy camper. :mad:

I sure hope not we pay enough in dues as it is and it's getting harder and harder to book a room these days.

alphac2005

I've said that for years, WDW is a knock off of the original thing. The whole park is so why not go see the real thing? Not the same thing as having everything in one spot but I would say you get much more out of traveling to some of these places in real life. All about pirates? The Caribbean is easy for most people to get to and you can see a real fort, real ships etc. from that period. Like the old West? Go to the West of the US, rent a car and do some sight seeing, simple as that and cheaper then what most people spend at Disney.

You get the idea. For the money people spend on WDW for a week or two you can go just about anywhere in the world.

You're so right, yet the marketing that the company does has created a mentality in well to do suburbs that going to WDW is something that all their friends are going to do with their children, so better keep up with Mr. and Mrs. Jones next door and take the obligatory WDW vacation. The question is whether the ones that do the trip sensing that it's something that they either have to or are supposed to do are going to start cutting back? We'll see. So far, absurd prices hasn't stopped them.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You're so right, yet the marketing that the company does has created a mentality in well to do suburbs that going to WDW is something that all their friends are going to do with their children, so better keep up with Mr. and Mrs. Jones next door and take the obligatory WDW vacation. The question is whether the ones that do the trip sensing that it's something that they either have to or are supposed to do are going to start cutting back? We'll see. So far, absurd prices hasn't stopped them.

While I agree that a trip to WDW is mandatory for people like me, ie middle to upper middle class(if that even exists anymore) it's not the only reason people go.

I have a 2 year old son, and all our friends also have kids, the ones who started earlier then us, have 5-10 year olds and have all been to Disney in the past couple years. I'll go over 3 examples....

Family 1- Mom, Dad, 5 year old Daughter. Went for the first time last year, and had the time of their lives. They are returning this coming November. They didn't use much of my advice and missed out on a bunch of stuff, and waited for some things you shouldn't wait for. And it still didn't stop them from having a 10 of 10.

Family 2- Mom, Dad, 6 year old son, 10 year old son. Went last year and literally had the best time they have ever had. They used some of my advice, hit almost everything theyt wanted to, and saved a bunch of money by not purchasing DDP. The family they traveled with did purchase DDP, and spent significantly more then they did. They were already planning another trip the day they got home. It won't be an every year thing for them, they need to save up for these trips, but it's worth it to them.

Family 3- More upper middle class. Two daughters under 10. They have been twice in the past two years, and are going back this summer. They are also looking into buying DVC.

These families LOVE WDW. And not because of societal pressures. They love it because they have amazing vacations there. Maybe they felt the pressure to go the first time. But WDW is still a magical place to them, so they are going back, pressure free.

I told family 2 about the resort fees. They weren't happy, but they aren't scrapping their plans over it.

goldenstate5

I usually stick up for Disney in most occassions, even the rise in ticket prices.

But Disney charging resort fees entirely for services that guests have been enjoying for free that is supposed to come with the price of their package is pure unnecessary greed seemingly designed to make up for the high-run cost of MyMagic-Plus that has caused a gigantic lull in upgrading their parks.

At least here in Las Vegas our resort fees cover amenities you have to pay for otherwise... this is just a possible PR nightmare waiting to come and I really hope it dies with this survey.

Tony the Tigger

I was kinda annoyed at my husband for making a stink about staying at off-property when we go in Oct. But after reading all the changes Disney's made (not at all positive), I am SOOOOO glad that we booked an awesome deal at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (we even got a $50 Disney gift card for booking, which will pay for Magic Bands)!!! I expect to pay a resort fee when I'm staying at an off-site property, but having all the benefits that were included in an on-property resort is exactly, to quote another poster, what made staying at Disney MAGICAL!! Well, if there is no magic on-property anymore, I'd just as soon save my $$ and find just as good, or frankly bigger and better, properties that are just as close. SO DISAPPOINTED IN YOU DISNEY :arghh::arghh:

Magic will cost you an extra $15/night.

Tony the Tigger

With all the extra fees in every area and other changes I keep reading about here, I'm glad our 10 year anniversary is next year because I don't think I would be able to swing the big blowout I'm planning if it were a few years off.

I think that year may be our last annual pass, and we will visit for one short 3 day trip every few years instead of several times a year.

We need to expand our horizons, anyway!

seascape

I don't like resort fees because they add to the cost but aren't advertised. However I have a bigger complaint concerning the hotel tax. If the consumer pays less in tax with a resort fee then I would prefer that fee over including it in the room cost. It is a hard isssue to get my hands on. I guess the one thing I wish was required for all resorts everwhere was that they have to include any and all fees and taxes in their advertising including a parking fee.

DisneyFans4Life

I'm in the minority here, but with what I'm paying to vacation at WDW, I'm not going to let an extra $15/night put a damper on things. For my 7 night stay...I'll pay the extra $105 and move on. While I agree with the posts here that it's a money grab and it's wrong to charge for something that has historically been free, you have to realize that Disney isn't coming up with some new idea. It's not like the executives sat around their fake putting green in Iger's office and said..."I've got an idea that no other resorts do...let's charge a special fee and call it a resort fee." Resorts all over the world charge a resort fee, with a lot being much more than $15, and Disney was probably in the minority of resorts that didn't charge. It was just a matter of time before that changed.

I feel we've all gotten accustomed to Disney doing things a certain way not realizing that it may not have been "normal." Think about resorts you visit outside of WDW...they charge a fee. Heck...I stayed one night at a "resort" off property a couple weeks ago and they charged me $7 as a resort fee; trust me...this was no resort.

Again..I'm in the minority here and I don't expect many people to side with me...but if this actually happens...I guess most of you will have some decisions to make.

Nmoody1

New castle stage show
Frozen ever after
Soarin over the world
Toy Story land with two additional rides
Rivers of Light
Night safaris
Pandora with two attractions

New castle show, replacing a show over 10 years old. Not to mention the magic kingdom used to have a castle show and a tomorrowland theatre and the wild horse saloon.

Frozen is replacing an attraction that had some appeal with an IP that parents with kids FLOCK too. It should have been built in ADDITION to maelstrom... and really belongs in a castle park (that argument not for here though). The demand it will place on Norway and world showcase will be catastrophic from a guest flow point of view and attraction wait times!

SOARIN is an upgrade and welcome! The extra theatre is great... but leads onto my argument that the Avatar attraction will be similar to Soarin and so no doubt will suffer capacity issues like Soarin has for the last TEN years! SOARIN is the biggest draw to future world - meanwhile pavilions like university of energy and imagination are desperate for attention... Ellen almost looks younger today than she does in Energy... The views on energy are outdated and all I learn from that pavilion is that plastic surgery or botox really do work!

Toy Story land with two additional rides... I'll remind you that the (somewhat appaling) pirates attraction has closed, the people eating back lot tour has closed, the lights motors action show is closing, the honey I shrunk the audience attraction is closing. .. If we want to go back further who wants to be a millionaire and the theatre that housed hunchback are closed to guests... you can argue things need to move on... They do! But it's all too little too late, who even knows what honey I shrunk the kids is now... none of those kids running around that playground know that IP... yet disney have left it open for years cause they couldn't be bothered to update it.

I'll give you rivers of light... Pandora maybe... let's see what capacity is like... I still think it will highlight that Animal Kingdom still needs at least one more big attraction and some smaller attractions for kids.

Brad Bishop

I don't like resort fees because they add to the cost but aren't advertised. However I have a bigger complaint concerning the hotel tax. If the consumer pays less in tax with a resort fee then I would prefer that fee over including it in the room cost. It is a hard isssue to get my hands on. I guess the one thing I wish was required for all resorts everwhere was that they have to include any and all fees and taxes in their advertising including a parking fee.

The hotel tax is a kind of bogus tax. Essentially what the state (and it's not just Florida) is doing is taxing people who have no representation in the state. It's one thing if it's just a standard sales tax - I have no beef with that. With a hotel tax, though, it's specifically targeted at non residents and it's usually pretty steep. You can still vote, I suppose, by simply not visiting that state.

Chris82

I'm in the minority here, but with what I'm paying to vacation at WDW, I'm not going to let an extra $15/night put a damper on things. For my 7 night stay...I'll pay the extra $105 and move on. While I agree with the posts here that it's a money grab and it's wrong to charge for something that has historically been free, you have to realize that Disney isn't coming up with some new idea. It's not like the executives sat around their fake putting green in Iger's office and said..."I've got an idea that no other resorts do...let's charge a special fee and call it a resort fee." Resorts all over the world charge a resort fee, with a lot being much more than $15, and Disney was probably in the minority of resorts that didn't charge. It was just a matter of time before that changed.

I feel we've all gotten accustomed to Disney doing things a certain way not realizing that it may not have been "normal." Think about resorts you visit outside of WDW...they charge a fee. Heck...I stayed one night at a "resort" off property a couple weeks ago and they charged me $7 as a resort fee; trust me...this was no resort.

Again..I'm in the minority here and I don't expect many people to side with me...but if this actually happens...I guess most of you will have some decisions to make.

I agree that $15 isn't really a deal breaker in and of itself - my problem with resort fees is that they hide the true rate from customers. Unless the fee is actually optional, it's a scuzzy practice that ought to be illegal, IMO. It's like used car salesmen that negotiate a price with you and then dump a bill in your lap that's 10% higher on the basis of "fees."

If Disney's worried about offsite hotel competition charging resort fees, I'd rather the company used their considerable lobbying powers to pressure Florida and other hotels to start advertising their true rates. Pipe dream, I know...

BoarderPhreak

I think maybe (maybe) I'll go back to WDW when all the construction dust settles... In what, 2020? Of course it'll be $200/day by then.

So glad I cancelled my upcoming trip.

prberk

I still don't understand why people feel the need to justify why it's ok for Disney - a company that already make ridiculous profits ' to add a resort fee for things that have been historically free.

It may seem like a simple change now, but add this to increased park entry (paying more for busier days = paying more to stand in line), a reduction in check in staff so you wait in line longer, an increase in the dining plan so your dumbed down food with dumbed down menus costs more.

I know many of the defenders didn't visit disney pre 9/11 - but this was a time when EPCOT had countless entertainment offerings in world showcase AND future world. When the Fountain of Nations actually worked, when innovations (both sides) were full of exhibits.

EACH park at WDW had a parade. Fair enough it may have been a logistical nightmare, bit a true fact is that a parade sucks up crowds... you don't need $2m worth of wrist bands and phone apps that make the FastPass+ system supposedly spread the crowds.

Hollywood Studios had countless more shows and attractions.

You could walk up to a restaurant in any park and get a table for that day. You may have had to wait with a pager - but imagine going to whatever park you decide to go to that day and whilst there be able to get a fastpass for the major name attractions and a table at a sit down table restaurant of your choice.

Fair enough, there are planners, fair enough disney is a business, fair enough some things have to change. But these days unless you are a crazy person who needs thier time planned minute by minute, day by day, 60 days in advance (spontaneity, anyone?) And you are willing to pay WAY over the top for it, a disney vacation sadly is no longer for you. They really have reduced the appeal to most except for dumbed down eaters and crazy planners who have too much money!

But where does it stop?

Resort fees, if introduced will only increase.

How long before a new wave of cuts is introduced.

How many up charge events need to be added before you thibk 'hey, when we visited last time this was included in an already inflated price'

Thank you. This is exactly how I feel.

Most people who know me think of me as their resident Disney expert and promoter, but the wind has nearly come out of my sails. I used to be able to say that I could show them how to go to WDW on a budget and have a great time. These days there are whole segments of people who I have to honestly tell that their family will never be able to experience it the way I have because it has gotten way too expensive. They used to see me go twice a year. Now they notice that I haven't gone in a long time. Just too expensive, with nearly every perk ripped away.

I still love WDW, and I used to be able to justify it as a wonderful vacation I could share over a long weekend, while still doing things like my church mission trip in the summer. But now a WDW vacation sucks funding away from things that have a higher priority. My salary, like most, has stayed within inflation, while WDW's increases have not . All the while it was making cuts and letting services notably slip. And then adding a "resort fee" on top of the upwards of $600 per night you already paying (for the deluxe resorts).

Just saddens me.

UncleMike101

What everyone needs to remember is that the $15.00 is not being added to pay for things that are already free.
Those "free" things are already factored into the costs of the resort rooms, and the park tickets, at a very high service cost to profit ratio.
The $15.00 being added to make a dump truck of money for Disney.
Iger and his minions are just double dipping into the customers wallet to fatten their profits.
As I've said before, Disney is milking the cash cows dry and if this trend continues WDW will be a park exclusively for the well heeled.

wannabeBelle

One of the problems I have with this is that term "industry standard" In years gone by Disney didn't conform to industry standard. it prided itself on being better than that. Now it seems that this is a term they use to reduce offerings to the lowest common denominator. I have always stayed at Disney, but if I have to pay a resort fee, the same as the other resorts in the area, now you have just leveled the playing field and those other hotels that have a fee are now back under consideration, which they never were before. I am not happy about that at all. I hope this idea dies with the survey. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom