Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

Brad Bishop

One of the problems I have with this is that term "industry standard" In years gone by Disney didn't conform to industry standard. it prided itself on being better than that. Now it seems that this is a term they use to reduce offerings to the lowest common denominator. I have always stayed at Disney, but if I have to pay a resort fee, the same as the other resorts in the area, now you have just leveled the playing field and those other hotels that have a fee are now back under consideration, which they never were before. I am not happy about that at all. I hope this idea dies with the survey. Marie

When they use "industry standard" or similar phrasing it really just amounts to: "Everyone is doing it"

It's a justification to do something that most would consider wrong, bad, or at least annoying. It's the kind of language the cable companies or similar industries use to explain their ill-behavior away with the idea being, "Well, if everyone's doing it then it must be OK."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
New castle show, replacing a show over 10 years old. Not to mention the magic kingdom used to have a castle show and a tomorrowland theatre and the wild horse saloon.

Frozen is replacing an attraction that had some appeal with an IP that parents with kids FLOCK too. It should have been built in ADDITION to maelstrom... and really belongs in a castle park (that argument not for here though). The demand it will place on Norway and world showcase will be catastrophic from a guest flow point of view and attraction wait times!

SOARIN is an upgrade and welcome! The extra theatre is great... but leads onto my argument that the Avatar attraction will be similar to Soarin and so no doubt will suffer capacity issues like Soarin has for the last TEN years! SOARIN is the biggest draw to future world - meanwhile pavilions like university of energy and imagination are desperate for attention... Ellen almost looks younger today than she does in Energy... The views on energy are outdated and all I learn from that pavilion is that plastic surgery or botox really do work!

Toy Story land with two additional rides... I'll remind you that the (somewhat appaling) pirates attraction has closed, the people eating back lot tour has closed, the lights motors action show is closing, the honey I shrunk the audience attraction is closing. .. If we want to go back further who wants to be a millionaire and the theatre that housed hunchback are closed to guests... you can argue things need to move on... They do! But it's all too little too late, who even knows what honey I shrunk the kids is now... none of those kids running around that playground know that IP... yet disney have left it open for years cause they couldn't be bothered to update it.

I'll give you rivers of light... Pandora maybe... let's see what capacity is like... I still think it will highlight that Animal Kingdom still needs at least one more big attraction and some smaller attractions for kids.

Pretty much everything you mentioned that has closed to make way for the new attractions/lands were complete pieces of crap and/or just past their prime. I am very happy they are finally making investments to improve parks, and getting rid of the garbage. I am not sure why people insist on spinning it in a way where they feel all this investment doesn't count. How many years has everyone around here been asking for this?!?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pretty much everything you mentioned that has closed to make way for the new attractions/lands were complete pieces of crap and/or just past their prime. I am very happy they are finally making investments to improve parks, and getting rid of the garbage. I am not sure why people insist on spinning it in a way where they feel all this investment doesn't count. How many years has everyone around here been asking for this?!?

The problem here is what is being done NOW needed to be done a decade ago not that what's being done now is not a good thing, It's a case of too little too late.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The problem here is what is being done NOW needed to be done a decade ago not that what's being done now is not a good thing, It's a case of too little too late.

we all understand it needed to be done a while ago. But if it is the case that it is too little, too late, why do it at all? Would you prefer for things to just get worse?

Yeah, tell Disney to just do nothing because everyone is upset that they didn't do this earlier....that makes sense.

KC00

This news along with the recent ticket price hike has really depressed me. I have always been a pixie dust sniffing Disney cheerleader and while I have disagreed with many moves they have made in the past, I have still always ultimately stood behind them and their product. I have no idea why this potential $15 fee is the tipping point for me when so many other changes have been more expensive or more egregious but it really is. For me it represents a fundamental shift in the way they can even market the Disney World experience. Even though the new round of ads with people getting extra pixie dust sprinkled on them when they check into the Grand Floridian is already misleading, it is reflective of the idea that when you come to Disney World you get all of this magic:
-We'll magically get your bags from the airport to your room!
-We'll whisk you from the airport to your resort on Magical Express!
-You'll get to spend extra time in the parks!
- Your resort is full of fun activities and amazing recreational and pool areas!
- Take advantage of the boats, motor coaches and monorails that transport you to the parks!
- All for less than X amount of money per person per day!

When you start tacking on fees here and fees there, suddenly all of those "perks" (which I realistically always knew I was paying for in the inflated room rates), don't seem so magical, they just seem like some extra crap I am paying $15 a day for even if I don't use all of them. Disney has instituted lots of things that could be classified as money grabs over the past 10 years but this one just feels like the worst of the lot and it really bums me out.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
we all understand it needed to be done a while ago. But if it is the case that it is too little, too late, why do it at all? Would you prefer for things to just get worse?

Yeah, tell Disney to just do nothing because everyone is upset that they didn't do this earlier....that makes sense.

No I expect them to up their game not go wasting money on Chinese theme parks which will never return their investment, Just like DLP losses slammed the brakes on WDW upgrades 20 years ago, Tomorrowland was being refurbed, Paris tanked and all the money from WDW went to Paris. - Just like SDL today.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No I expect them to up their game not go wasting money on Chinese theme parks which will never return their investment, Just like DLP losses slammed the brakes on WDW upgrades 20 years ago, Tomorrowland was being refurbed, Paris tanked and all the money from WDW went to Paris. - Just like SDL today.

ok...so you want to them to invest exactly where you want it...and build attractions exactly where you want and what you want...got it...I will call them up and tell them to stop all the WDW investments because it isn't what exploder wants.

rael ramone

One of the problems I have with this is that term "industry standard" In years gone by Disney didn't conform to industry standard. it prided itself on being better than that. Now it seems that this is a term they use to reduce offerings to the lowest common denominator. I have always stayed at Disney, but if I have to pay a resort fee, the same as the other resorts in the area, now you have just leveled the playing field and those other hotels that have a fee are now back under consideration, which they never were before. I am not happy about that at all. I hope this idea dies with the survey. Marie

Industry standard cleanliness.
Industry standard maintenance.

If they want to be Six Flags, they should just charge Six Flags prices...

note2001

<snip>
When you start tacking on fees here and fees there, suddenly all of those "perks" (which I realistically always knew I was paying for in the inflated room rates), don't seem so magical, they just seem like some extra crap I am paying $15 a day for even if I don't use all of them. Disney has instituted lots of things that could be classified as money grabs over the past 10 years but this one just feels like the worst of the lot and it really bums me out.

Right, it's not the end of the world if Disney tacks on a daily magic room fee, but it is the end of Disney ever being able to persuade our wallets that the "magic is real". Adding fees would be lowering the Disney standard to that of all the rest of the hotel chains, and just complicate something that should be simple: it's magic.

I miss the days of old when dad would pay the bill. It was drive down. Set up the camp. Play in some amazing playgrounds. Walk to a store on my own. Buy a loaf of bread, or whatever else my mom needed. Anything we wanted to do was magically included. It gave us the feeling that Disney cared about us. Dad moaned and groaned over the park prices (truly a laugh now) but that was amazing for a man who was very tight with his money, because that was all he moaned over. If he ever saw the word "fee" he would have booked it in the opposite direction.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Great points but you are neglecting the psychology of the survey, Now the word is out that you have to LIE to the survey to participate which will skew the results even further. If you want to collect good DATA which even facilitates longitudinal surveys and comparisons between demographics like social media users and non social media users.

Part of why I think the person commissioned the survey added this behavior was so they could answer truthfully this is ALL the survey data because as we know the other way the same result could have been achieved would have been something like the SQL select statement below to begin the analysis of the data.

SELECT * FROM RESORT_FEE_SURVEY_RESULTS WHERE SOCIAL_MEDIA_USER EQ FALSE;

This would have selected only the respondent community of interest and would likely have given BETTER results because the respondents had no incentive to lie on the survey in order to participate. Collecting the data like this would also allow other questions to be analyzed like which community is most accepting of resort fees.
It's simply not how study results are collected or calculated. Correct design or incorrect design, it's standard practice to drop people after a certain demographic number has been reached. It's likely because most surveys don't have a community of people who would be apt to LIE in order to get into the survey and answer things. Part of the whole idea behind a survey is that you are looking for honest opinions.
But part of the risk of qualitative surveys. You can never bank on 100% honesty in results. You have to design your study as such so that it takes false responses into account.
Not being an expert in the qualitative side, my guess would be that if you didn't limit your results in the targeted demographic segments, there would be actually more of an impulse to use all of the data.
Let's say you design your study to look into equal population segments of 1000 social media users and 1000 non-social media users. You do not limit the collection of the data, you get your 1000 non-social media users, but you get 10,000 social media users. Because you designed your experiment (survey) to look at equal numbers, you cannot just assume that you can linearly scale the results (take the metrics and divide by 10 and assume that it is equivalent). If you grab a random sample of 1000 records out of the 10,000, you are more likely to want to repeat that over and over, trying to drive results out of an average of 100 random samplings. This might make sense, but your other group, your non-social media responses have not had the same methodology applied, and you've introduced something into the process that cannot be replicated by the smaller dataset, and you can no longer draw similar conclusions because you've changed your experiment methodology and your samples are no longer collected in the same method. It's much more simple to just collect 1000 answers from each population and measure your results.
But this is all speculation. If you'd like I can talk to our department here that specializes in qualitative research and get their opinion.

Or we could just assume that Disney = Evil and their management are a bunch of bumbling buffoons who will gamble their short-term career on purposefully skewing results to reach incorrect conclusions and hope that it will not come back to bite them in the buttocks before they move along. Of course, there are likely some of those folks in the Disney organization, there are folks like that in every corporation. But there are also likely people with integrity which will ensure that things are done in an ethical manner which balance those types out.

peter11435

New castle show, replacing a show over 10 years old. Not to mention the magic kingdom used to have a castle show and a tomorrowland theatre and the wild horse saloon.

Frozen is replacing an attraction that had some appeal with an IP that parents with kids FLOCK too. It should have been built in ADDITION to maelstrom... and really belongs in a castle park (that argument not for here though). The demand it will place on Norway and world showcase will be catastrophic from a guest flow point of view and attraction wait times!

SOARIN is an upgrade and welcome! The extra theatre is great... but leads onto my argument that the Avatar attraction will be similar to Soarin and so no doubt will suffer capacity issues like Soarin has for the last TEN years! SOARIN is the biggest draw to future world - meanwhile pavilions like university of energy and imagination are desperate for attention... Ellen almost looks younger today than she does in Energy... The views on energy are outdated and all I learn from that pavilion is that plastic surgery or botox really do work!

Toy Story land with two additional rides... I'll remind you that the (somewhat appaling) pirates attraction has closed, the people eating back lot tour has closed, the lights motors action show is closing, the honey I shrunk the audience attraction is closing. .. If we want to go back further who wants to be a millionaire and the theatre that housed hunchback are closed to guests... you can argue things need to move on... They do! But it's all too little too late, who even knows what honey I shrunk the kids is now... none of those kids running around that playground know that IP... yet disney have left it open for years cause they couldn't be bothered to update it.

I'll give you rivers of light... Pandora maybe... let's see what capacity is like... I still think it will highlight that Animal Kingdom still needs at least one more big attraction and some smaller attractions for kids.
You said they weren't investing. I listed items they are investing in. Just because you don't like what's being done doesn't mean it's not investment.

disneyflush

While I agree with the posts here that it's a money grab and it's wrong to charge for something that has historically been free, you have to realize that Disney isn't coming up with some new idea. It's not like the executives sat around their fake putting green in Iger's office and said..."I've got an idea that no other resorts do...let's charge a special fee and call it a resort fee." Resorts all over the world charge a resort fee, with a lot being much more than $15, and Disney was probably in the minority of resorts that didn't charge. It was just a matter of time before that changed.
But WHY was it just a matter of time before that changed? Is it a given that every conceivable way to grab extra cash is going to happen so when it does it should not be a big deal? I like most of your posts usually but this one seems to say, 'I expect to be treated the exact same way there as I would be anywhere else.' Which is kind of the exact opposite of what your loyalty and admiration should leave you expecting.

StingraySam

My problem with a "resort fee" in general is that it is just "tacky".
You want to raise your rate, just raise your rate.
You want to charge me extra for each additional service that I use, if I know up front about them, then go right ahead. Use the gym, I'll pay an additional fee for it. Use the wifi, I'll pay an additional fee for it. For that matter and this is getting a little ridiculus but, use the pool, I'll pay an additional fee for. But don't advertise yourself as a superior resort and then charge a fee for ammenties that is advertise as included in your stay. And I feel this way for all resorts not just for this anticipated fee of the Disney resorts.
I really think the next thing will be a hotel parking fee that gets you free parking at the parks.

Bocabear

Absolutely agree! Disney Hotels are already a premium price and experience...even the cheapest option at WDW is more expensive than it's peer outside the gates...and in almost all cases, is a little lower in quality.
The "ResortFee" is kind of what we are already paying for in booking a Disney Hotel... I know right now it is fashionable among hoteliers to come up with extra charges like parking and Resort Fees, but I think eventually people are going to have enough and start pushing back...
We are already facing a raise in ticket, food and accomodation prices constantly... Is it too much to ask to not try and add new additional charges to our already very expensive vacation?

wendysue

At first, with all the price increases, I was angry, but realized that we have had many great trips there. Our children are now grown and have started their families but realize that they will probably never be able to take their kids. I booked our next trip awhile back so the new prices won't really affect it. Got a great deal on a rental car to go offsite to eat and get supplies, but WDW has made it easy to decide not to come back. (Personal decision here, so no need to let me know how glad you are that we won't be taking up space in the lines). When will it be enough for Disney??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom