Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Actually @The Empress Lilly found rates on bungalows at the real bora bora for 219/Night, Toss in airfare of 1800-2500 pp and a week in Bora Bora is about the same as 3 nights in the Pizza Hut Houses.
Don't know how the that price was found anywhere. Here is for a week in October:
BoraBoraPrice.jpg

$1,814 PER NIGHT. Please post a link to where you can get one of these for $219 per night.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
there are some cheaper rooms...but not over the water and not in any of the what I would call "nice" resorts.
You need to compare apples to apples. The Poly villas are over the water, so you need to price the over the water Bora Bora rooms as well. Oh, and he forgot to mention that the $1,800 air fare is for ONE person. So for my one week stay in Bora Bora would cost $12,698 for the room, and another $3,637 for our flight. So now we are at $16,335 to stay in a place where I can relax on the water and swim a bit. Oh, and of course, that doesn't include any food or any type of excursions anywhere either!

You would be lucky to get away with anything less than $18,000 to $19,000 for this one week trip. In the real world, that is.

Now, I will absolutely agree that the Poly villas are WAY over-priced, but to say that a Bora Bora vacation is cheap is just a flat out lie.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You need to compare apples to apples. The Poly villas are over the water, so you need to price the over the water Bora Bora rooms as well. Oh, and he forgot to mention that the $1,800 air fare is for ONE person. So for my one week stay in Bora Bora would cost $12,698 for the room, and another $3,637 for our flight. So now we are at $16,335 to stay in a place where I can relax on the water and swim a bit. Oh, and of course, that doesn't include any food or any type of excursions anywhere either!

You would be lucky to get away with anything less than $18,000 to $19,000 for this one week trip. In the real world, that is.

Now, I will absolutely agree that the Poly villas are WAY over-priced, but to say that a Bora Bora vacation is cheap is just a flat out lie.

Oh I agree with what you are saying. I am just pointing out there are cheaper rooms there, but basic rooms at a less than decent resort.

My sister honeymooned there. I know how expensive Bora Bora is.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I was being somewhat 'tongue in cheek'. But that is interesting. I did not know that they charge the same tax rate on a resort fee.

The ones I am familiar with in Orlando do. Obviously, I cannot speak for every hotel there and their financial practices but I assume it is the same because they have the same taxes they have to pay.

On the flip side, there are other markets I am aware of where not all the taxes applied to their room rate also apply to their resort charge, and are therefore are taxed at different amounts. Orlando isn't one of these markets though based on the information I have.

jakeman

Don't they tend to fudge the occupancy rates though by taking swaths of rooms out for maintenance? (Not arguing, but that was my understanding of how they keep numbers up on paper).
That was the theory around here when everyone went through their "books are cooked" phase a while back.

Nick Pappagiorgio

Btw if you're going to charge for Internet, there really should be some improvements to that service. I often have to switch to using my iPhone as a hotspot if I want to get anything done.

Thats a great point. I see Disney IT being barraged with complaints if they start charging a fee for WiFi service. People tend to be much more forgiving when a service is "free" or "complimentary".

RonnieHare

we all understand it needed to be done a while ago. But if it is the case that it is too little, too late, why do it at all? Would you prefer for things to just get worse?

Why wasn't it done a while ago? One reason - BOB 'i only care about profits' IGER. What makes you think he'll ever change? He has not produced any e-ticket attraction under his decade long tenure, and let the parks rot.

Only fools don't look at history and learn. Bob Iger will never change.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why wasn't it done a while ago? One reason - BOB 'i only care about profits' IGER. What makes you think he'll ever change? He has not produced any e-ticket attraction under his decade long tenure, and let the parks rot.

Only fools don't look at history and learn. Bob Iger will never change.

Of course the new kid on the block chimes in...

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Just to shut up the Bora Bora bashers. It's true.

Stalk his posts. He posted a screenshot from AirBnB.
The true Bora Bora bungalows that everyone wants to compare to are owned by the Four Seasons. Any other comparison is apples to oranges. The Bora Bora Yacht Club is mainly a restaurant, and is not even listed when you do a hotel search for French Polynesia.

Sorry, don't mean to derail, but people coming up with this carp just need to see the real world. You cannot get a Four Seasons bungalow for $219 per night. Can you stay elsewhere on Bora Bora cheaper than $1,800 per night? Sure, but you can also stay cheaper at WDW than the bungalows as well.

Oh, and I hate the idea of Disney adding a resort fee. Even being a DVC member that may or may not have to pay it, it is still wrong.

Sans Souci

The true Bora Bora bungalows that everyone wants to compare to are owned by the Four Seasons. Any other comparison is apples to oranges. The Bora Bora Yacht Club is mainly a restaurant, and is not even listed when you do a hotel search for French Polynesia.

Sorry, don't mean to derail, but people coming up with this carp just need to see the real world. You cannot get a Four Seasons bungalow for $219 per night. Can you stay elsewhere on Bora Bora cheaper than $1,800 per night? Sure, but you can also stay cheaper at WDW than the bungalows as well.

Oh, and I hate the idea of Disney adding a resort fee. Even being a DVC member that may or may not have to pay it, it is still wrong.

OK

fillerup

the hotels in Orlando that I know charge for a resort charge, tax it at the same rates as they do their room rates.
I checked a number of upper end Orlando hotels online and none of them are taxing the resort fee.

Remember, this isn't a question of whether a hotel chooses to do this or not, it's a matter of state and county regulations.

flyerjab

It is interesting when I take a moment to think about things over the past several years. First there was:
  1. Disney Springs major expansion/rebranding
  2. RoL, Sunset Safaris, Tiffins, DAK park infrastructure upgrades
  3. Pandora expansion
  4. 7DMT, new hub and bypass, Skipper Canteen, FoF Parade, new bus loading area, expanded TTC dock
  5. New Soarin', Frozen addition, Trattoria al Forno
  6. Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land (2 of them)
  7. New next gen Star Wars night time fireworks and projection show along with new launch facility
  8. Everyone's favorite - MM+
  9. I suppose I will list Shanghai DL as it obviously is implicating the parks as a whole
Now, to counter the spending, there is this:
  1. Single day ticket increases and seasonal tiers
  2. DDP increases (optional)
  3. Potential $15 resort fee
  4. Multiple cuts in entertainment and operations across WDW
  5. Potential upcharge for premium parking (optional)
  6. No outside food/drink in the parks
It is interesting to line them up and compare the 2 distinct groups one against the other (I know that this list is far from 100% accurate and/or complete). I lost my mind temporarily when Disney announced the resort fee for resorts that are already priced exorbitantly high. I don't really care that other resorts do this. Yes they do, but we don't pay the premium amount that we do to stay there. Case in point - the Lowe's hotels at UNI. They don't cost as much as the WDW resorts do. Yes they have numerous fees, but even if all the fees are paid for during your stay, it still doesn't approach the cost of some of the rooms on the monorail resort line. And their resorts are perfectly comparable to Disney's.

That being said, it makes it a little easier for me to deal with everything when I see what have spent/are spending/ will be spending. The big question is whether we think that what they are planning on spending is worth some of the cost increases, or, should we really be biting the bullet for the major cost overruns at the Shanghai project?

Disney always raises prices, and always will as long as the demand is there. Maybe they have focused in on this as an approach to crowd control. Continue to raise prices everywhere until TEA numbers level off or decline. At some point in time you just can't let more people in as it becomes a physical or operational impossibility.

I can tell you that we are DVC members and annual pass holders from the northeast. We visit WDW multiple times during the year (shorter trips so that we can take more as I have a lot of vacation time at my current job of 18 years). Everything that I have listed above will not deter us from continuing our visits. It might cut down a bit on the number of visits we take but we still get outstanding value out of our WDW trips for our entire family. And we are excited for the new additions that are coming.

I still think that the resort fee is ridiculous though IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom