Disney Springs tenant watch

maxairmike

Not saying they'll at all be done by July for the garages, but isn't one of them already at 5 levels? It's not nearly complete but it's coming along fairly well.

Maybe 1/3 of the larger garage has hit the fourth or fifth floor. They're still less than halfway there, from what I saw two weeks ago.

CDavid

one section of the garage. we are talking maybe 25% of the total structure. The other 75% is still just the ground level.

Seems a strange way to build a parking garage, but then they presumably know what they're doing and we don't.

Anybody got recent pictures?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I *think* I read (could be mistaken) somewhere they could possibly open the lower level(s) of the garage while working on the upper floors (or maybe portions of the upper floors). This, if true, would probably be the only way we see this open before the first of the year.

I was thinking more along the lines of opening whole sections at a time, since they aren't building the whole garage one floor at a time.

Kman101

Seems a strange way to build a parking garage, but then they presumably know what they're doing and we don't.

Picture from Disney Geek, taken on 5/1

IMG_2255.jpg

jt04

It's only supposed to be 5 levels right? If that is true, then they are working on the final piece before they can start "theming" it to the area.

Hoping they do something special with the exposed section of the garage between Splitsville and AMC.

dstrawn9889

only got the forms up for a third at 5 levels... got two sections of deck to go, and then the ramps of course... got a bit to go until themeing and greenery show up

WDWFanDave

So, just a question...since this is the 'tenant watch' thread...do we have any inside information on any new and exciting additions to Disney Springs? I thought we'd have heard more by now, but I know we still have quite a ways to go. Just wondering.

dadddio

A while back, there was a largo condo project being built that I drove by every day on my way to and from the office. It was about four stories along one very long block. I was a bit surprised at first when rather than rough in the entire project and moving to the next step, they built the corner units all the way to top and then moved to the next section. As they set the steel for the next section, the first section was getting walls. They finished up the steel on the second section and moved to the third. Now the second section was getting walls and the first was getting windows. When the next section got steel, the first was getting exterior sheething and trim. When the last section got steel, the first was getting final paint.

I imagine that doing it this way ensured that the project was completed as quickly as possible because it allowed them to maximize the time that subs could be on site.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A while back, there was a largo condo project being built that I drove by every day on my way to and from the office. It was about four stories along one very long block. I was a bit surprised at first when rather than rough in the entire project and moving to the next step, they built the corner units all the way to top and then moved to the next section. As they set the steel for the next section, the first section was getting walls. They finished up the steel on the second section and moved to the third. Now the second section was getting walls and the first was getting windows. When the next section got steel, the first was getting exterior sheething and trim. When the last section got steel, the first was getting final paint.

I imagine that doing it this way ensured that the project was completed as quickly as possible because it allowed them to maximize the time that subs could be on site.

What you describe with the condo project makes sense since they would have different trades doing each of those steps. The steel crew did their part on the first unit, then moved onto the second while a different crew started the walls on the first unit.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
This is OT, but I would love for someone to make a map of North America with the regions shaded for the various terms for parking structures. Here on the West Coast, they are called "parking structures", a la' the 10,000 space Mickey & Friends Parking Structure at Disneyland.
TrailBehindDTD.jpg

That West Coast rule is occasionally broken in the Pacific Northwest where a few urban facilities are labeled as "Parkades". A big swath of the country calls them "parking garages", even though they are much larger than the average two-car garage. And then there are sections of the East Coast and Upper Midwest that call them "Parking Decks". I think our Canadian friends often call them Parking Decks as well. (Can a Canadian weigh in here?)

And to bring it home to Disney, it makes me chuckle when I visit WDW and hear or read the phrase "Auto Plaza" when referring to a Toll Plaza at a theme park parking lot. At Disneyland the booths where you pay for your parking are called Toll Booths and the area is called a Toll Plaza. But at WDW the CM's all call it an Auto Plaza. In 1971 they sent out a bunch of Disneylanders to help open Walt Disney World, which was designed and built by Californians in 1968-71, so how the heck did the name get changed to "Auto Plaza"? :confused:
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but here in Ontario, we call them parking garages.

jt04

Well, we know the Boathouse and the Hanger in The Landing; rumors of a steakhouse and a pizza place as well, according to Save PI. A bit more than nothing, tho still hardly concrete.

I am not suprised by the secrecy considering the increasing level of compitition underway. Think about it. Uni is investing in City Walk. Also underway; the new I-Drive Live complex, the reimagined Festival Bay, and the new Orlando Magic complex and changes coming to the current stadium and possible new soccer stadium. And I am sure there are other projects I have not heard of. Amazing times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom