Disney Springs tenant watch

BigTxEars

Pretty much what I was thinking. The convention business is more likely. People who are either putting their meals on an expense report or writing them off come tax time are more likely the targets. With DDP and the need to book most Disney park restaurants in advance it could be appealing to have places that won't always be full where you can actually walk up and get a table. Maybe they won't even take DDP. Do you force a chef to dumb down his menu to fit into price buckets? Maybe they would make them signature restaurants.

Ah yes the expenses report for meals at conventions, "can I get two checks please, food on one and the booze on a separate one" :)

71jason

Original Poster
The convention business is more likely.

These are convention-oriented for sure. But with the majority of Orlando convention-goers at Orange County CC or somewhere along I-Drive, will it be worth the hassle to get all the way to DS and put up with the DS crowd? What killed PI was mixing the stroller brigade with a nightlife destination. Sand Lake Road eateries don't have to cater to the family crowd--I don't know that a restaurant can serve both those markets equally.

MOXOMUMD

I go to very large company conventions in Orlando twice a year, upwards of 12,000 people attend each. As far as dinning, well they better have a good booze selection because that is what most of the convention goers are looking forward to after a long day of business meetings :)
But how many of these will have transportation to DS or are willing to sit in a taxi stuck in traffic on a Fri\Sat night?

71jason

Original Poster
Why? They don't like parking their cars in the shade? I for one welcome the garages. Closer parking with a roof over my head for the inevitable torrential downpours and ridiculously hot sun.

I have no idea why, I guess I grew up enough around cities that it's not a big deal to me. But look at Pointe Orlando or CityWalk or even Daytona.

Next Big Thing

I have no idea why, I guess I grew up enough around cities that it's not a big deal to me. But look at Pointe Orlando or CityWalk or even Daytona.
CityWaalk is a bad example because you need to pay to use the garage. People don't want to pay just to walk around and shop. The Disney Springs garages will be free.

CDavid

Why? They don't like parking their cars in the shade? I for one welcome the garages. Closer parking with a roof over my head for the inevitable torrential downpours and ridiculously hot sun.

My speculation would be what is typically the added hassle of getting into and out of a parking garage. Most such garages are on a smaller scale, where you enter single file and the line of cars circles its way up the structure until you find a space. Then you have to find the stairs or elevator back down again. You may drive all the way to the top and back down again to exit, with the line of cars stopping for each vehicle to enter or back out of a parking space. Then you wait in just one or two lanes at the exit to pay your parking fee.

Disney's garages won't be like this, but the perception is still there.

I've also heard (misplaced) fears about crime in garages, but that seems strange, particularly in more affluent areas or with security cameras monitoring the garage (often not present with surface parking). And again, with only one way in or out, its not like the bad guys can make a quick, easy getaway.

71jason

Original Poster
CityWaalk is a bad example because you need to pay to use the garage. People don't want to pay just to walk around and shop. The Disney Springs garages will be free.

Except you don't have to after 6 pm, and most of CityWalk focuses on nighttime activity.

But look at Premium Outlets. There is no reason not to park in the garage--it's free, car won't get hot, don't have to circle like a shark for a space, etc. But it is the last place to fill up in that lot. And really, this is a nationwide, or at least East Coast, thing. I highlight Orlando because I live here, but I saw the same attitude among suburbanites up north.

maxairmike

Yep, even during the busiest of times I don't think I've even had to go up to the second floor but once in almost 4 years when I park in that garage. Meanwhile there are dozens of cars wasting 20-30 minutes circling around a few parts of the surface lot for a close spot. There's an odd aversion to parking garages down here.

Disneyhead'71

Yup, pretty much. This work was needed and once it's done it will be much more convenient to park at Disney Springs. If you can't handle the area being a little congested for awhile as work is being done to improve your experience, then that's on you.
You have to remember that most locals aren't married to the mouse and won't cut them the slack that you guys here will. 2 years of miserable shopping and dining experiences will leave a bad taste in locals mouths. Locals are waiting with baited breath to see what "Magic" Disney is cooking up. They just want to go see a movie in a great theater and then grab a good meal on Sat. night.

Mouse Detective

Disney is NOT going after the local market with Disney Springs shops and restaurants. Locals know where alternative restaurants are, where alternative shops are, where alternative theaters are. Tourists generally don't know, especially South Americans on package tours. Disney Springs is not being built for locals.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney is NOT going after the local market with Disney Springs shops and restaurants. Locals know where alternative restaurants are, where alternative shops are, where alternative theaters are. Tourists generally don't know, especially South Americans on package tours. Disney Springs is not being built for locals.
Why build parking garages if you are only targeting South Americans on package tours? They don't have cars:)

IMHO they are looking to attract both locals and tourists.

Mouse Detective

Why build parking garages if you are only targeting South Americans on package tours? They don't have cars:) IMHO they are looking to attract both locals and tourists.

I said "especially" South Americans on package tours. But even many of those are not staying on-property, they're staying in I-Drive and Palm Parkway hotels with rental cars.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I said "especially" South Americans on package tours. But even many of those are not staying on-property, they're staying in I-Drive and Palm Parkway hotels with rental cars.
My bad. When you said tourists who don't know about alternative restaurants and shops I assumed you meant ones staying on property.

PhotoDave219

You have to remember that most locals aren't married to the mouse and won't cut them the slack that you guys here will. 2 years of miserable shopping and dining experiences will leave a bad taste in locals mouths. Locals are waiting with baited breath to see what "Magic" Disney is cooking up. They just want to go see a movie in a great theater and then grab a good meal on Sat. night.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm at DTD for a show at HOB & at 530, it's a clusterF to park. Absolute crap fest.

I cannot understand why it is not a priority to get these garages built. I cannot understand why they cannot fix these issues.

dstrawn9889

i have seen few parking decks go up faster than this one (other than prefab i mean) just follow the signs to the parking that is open(right next to the street lights) and park and schlep on down to DTD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom