Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OFTeric

They're building a mall while Universal is building the theme park land of the century.

While I partly agree with this sentiment, a vibrant DtD is actually a very important part of a well rounded vacation. AT this point the can has been kicked so far down the road for DtD that it is a dire situation.

If we all remember Pleasure Island closed it's clubs forever in September of 2008. It is now 2013. We are going on 4 - 5 years of DtD being an absolute train wreck.

Even when announced we are looking at a 2 - 4 year time table for this to get complete making it 6 to 9 years that Pleasure Island was in an unacceptable state. Even at the shortest duration 6 years. How truly unacceptable.

Beyond that as far as the parks are concerned they have the same problems, where their massive infrastructure issues have simply been kicked down the road for some future management team to deal with.

RSoxNo1

High speed rail would make sense if we were not on the cusp of personal self-navigating cars and planes. That technology is emerging faster than anyone could have anticipated.

Hyperion Wharf is still happening. It is just that now it will be renamed and newer, bolder and with sparkling new parking complexes. Seems they took my advice and added those. Happy to help.
Any chance we can change the tag under JT's name from "Well-Known Member" to "Revisionist Historian"?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't recall what Martin did or didn't say.

I can only tell you the FACTS as they are.
Me neither.

Before the fire the proposal was to do a Tokyo and dump Stitch into Adland.

They were still to cheap too add the pipe and pump needed to reinstate the fountain. Despite digging out the 1971 blueprints for it. And the water supply still being available.

ADP2

The real question is will Disney Springs address the lack of nightlife issue at Walt Disney World? It doesn't sound like it from the plans being discussed. One of the biggest guest issues at Disney World is what to do after the theme parks close. Guests need something more than to eat and shop after dark. They want dancing, shows, comedy, bands, etc. The Boardwalk Atlantic Dance Hall, Jellyrolls, and Kimonos aren't cutting it anymore.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The real question is will Disney Springs address the lack of nightlife issue at Walt Disney World? It doesn't sound like it from the plans being discussed. One of the biggest guest issues at Disney World is what to do after the theme parks close. Guests need something more than to eat and shop after dark. They want dancing, shows, comedy, bands, etc. The Boardwalk Atlantic Dance Hall, Jellyrolls, and Kimonos aren't cutting it anymore.
The focus will be on retail and dining.

HMF

Me neither.

They were still to cheap too add the pipe and pump needed to reinstate the fountain. Despite digging out the 1971 blueprints for it. And the water supply still being available.
Well, at least when/if Spirited Change finally happens they can always shut it down again and re-install the fountain at some point. I think we are all glad that Stitch did not happen though.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
The focus will be on retail and dining.
I can understand that, but they are essentially building a way around "The Landing" meaning they could have a nightlife component. I'm not saying bring back the concept of an adults only area entirely, but a restaurant that turns club at night wouldn't be such a terrible idea would it? They already have Bongos, though I've never gone, they simply need to replicate the idea with other music styles.

I can't see how they would expand so significantly and continue to ignore nightlife, especially when the SVP is from DCL, where they successfully cater to both kids AND adults.

jt04

Me neither.

You spoke of several attractions being brought back to their original presentations for the MK's 40th commemorations including the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room (Punta Gorda Bob notification app activated). It was after that they considered Stitch. Which, btw, they could still do. Simply alternate original and Stitch shows throughout the day.

Interesting that I remember this when everyone else has forgotten. :D

jt04

I can understand that, but they are essentially building a way around "The Landing" meaning they could have a nightlife component. I'm not saying bring back the concept of an adults only area entirely, but a restaurant that turns club at night wouldn't be such a terrible idea would it? They already have Bongos, though I've never gone, they simply need to replicate the idea with other music styles.

I can't see how they would expand so significantly and continue to ignore nightlife, especially when the SVP is from DCL, where they successfully cater to both kids AND adults.

Yes this is what should happen. Calm and peaceful in the mornings (water features add this element) and then adding elements and entertainment as the day goes on. Basically a very plussed Hyperion Wharf. Would be a winner.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Keeping The Spirit honest here, I have seen some (apparently discontinued) WWoHP merch at a discount in Festival Bay. We're talking only one or two islands in the whole store, tho. Meanwhile, two weekends ago (and 3 years after the land opened!), the stores were still so packed I could barely get into buy a scarf--it was cold at Mardi Gras that night!--and I waited in a 40-person line to buy a Guiness in Hogs Head. Overall, the branded stuff is still selling like crazy.

[And before anyone heads over there, store might be closed by now, as part of the whole turn Festival Bay into another Premium Outlet/"Disney Springs" plan.]

Was that at a UNI store? If so, then I didn't know it existed. They had one across from Disney's Character Premiere outlet in LBV for years, but it's been gone that long now.

And Cars Land merchandise has flown off the shelves, but here in SoFla you can find tees, mugs, stickers, magnets etc and the prices are like 60-85% off. They're practically giving the stuff away. WOnder if they just made too much and the stuff went direct to outlet.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would disagree with that to the extent that Disney was meeting a demand for family suite style rooms w/ AoA. People are definitely leaning towards them. Now, if you want to argue the price point of those rooms, that's a different point altogether.

There was a demand. Was it sufficient to build an entire resort versus what they did at ASMu and convert rooms, I dunno. But friends of the family recently took their grandson up for his first visit and paid $299 plus tax. Those are higher than rates I've had at Ritz Carlton and J.W. Marriott and amazing resorts from Paris to Las Vegas. ... You can BUY a timeshare (no, not a Disney one) for what these folks paid for a week there in these family suites.

BTW, Disney sent me an APer email on three email accounts touting special rates from early April to early June ... the rate touted was $82 a night at ASMu for a standard room Sunday-Thursday. And I'm supposed to feel that is a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom