Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

I dunno ... they are pretty damn close. They are the best products stateside from both companies by far.. ... although I haven't see any discounted WWoHP merchandise anywhere, I did buy some Cars Land merchandise at about 80% off recently!
The new Disney lands only get there with aesthetics and maybe attractions. The food and merchandise is not quite as directly derived from the greater experience. Would anybody notice if the content of one of the shops was totally switched out? Still too much of a decorated mall and not enough of the unique experiences that used to be found, like on Main Street, USA.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The new Disney lands only get there with aesthetics and maybe attractions. The food and merchandise is not quite as directly derived from the greater experience. Would anybody notice if the content of one of the shops was totally switched out? Still too much of a decorated mall and not enough of the unique experiences that used to be found, like on Main Street, USA.

I see your point and don't completely disagree, really ... Just that what we've seen in DCA 2.0 is by far the best work Disney has done stateside in the 21st century. ... I do worry about Cars Land merchandise if I am seeing it at outlet stores in SoFla. I really don't want to see Tink tees and Goofy hats and DLR 2013 logo merchandise at Ramone's when I go back to DCA later this year!

Clever Name

That is a problem for them, long term. I firmly believe WDW should be trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. You can't please everyone all the time but you should aim as high as possible not just rest on certain demographics.
Don't forget that the weatherman is from the world of television and once ran ABC. Television sales and promotion is all based upon target demographics. WDW targets affluent families as their primary demographic and they do a great job. Even with a major real estate slump during the past several years, DVC sales are still going strong. Yet who in their right mind would sign a contract to buy 50 years worth of expensive pre-paid vacations? Disney knows their customers! :)

alissafalco

If this has already been covered, I am sorry, but I'm old and do not have enough of my life left to go through all 39 pages, but, I would like to say that I don't know of anyone that has ever gone to WDW because of Downtown Disney. Even at it's prettiest, it is just a fancy shopping center. Always has been and probably always will be. It's a place to go to fill in a day that isn't connected with a park ticket and suck whatever extra money you have away from your possession. But as an enticement for a trip because of it, I have a hard time thinking that is possible. Any improvement that they make there will just be an extra and intended to draw you there once you have gotten to WDW, not to get you to WDW. Carry on with whatever the topic is at this point in the discussion. :)

I think he meant that it won't draw him there once he is already there because it is something he can do at home. Of course DTD isn't why anyone would plan a trip. I know I'm not wasting my WDW time shopping at retail stores that I can go to while I'm at home (with better prices also).

alissafalco

Honestly, I can't say there is anything I have heard even rumored that would truly be a Potter Swatter. Maybe Star Wars has the potential if Disney dropped a billion or 2 on a whole immersive land (not just a new ride, a restaurant/gift shop and themed bathrooms) .

^^this yes! Add a character meal to that also. Star Wars if done right absolutely is the answer. My 40 year old husband is a huge fan of SW as are my 5 & 7 year old nephews. SW goes across all ages and has stand the test of time. But is TDO really capable of doing this right even if they did decide to do it?

DisneyGuyNYC

^^this yes! Add a character meal to that also. Star Wars if done right absolutely is the answer. My 40 year old husband is a huge fan of SW as are my 5 & 7 year old nephews. SW goes across all ages and has stand the test of time. But is TDO really capable of doing this right even if they did decide to do it?
That's my fear. The theming would be great but it'd be one "E-Ticket" (really a C), two carnival rides, a M&G building, and a rough version of the Cantina. Definitely a good merchandise store.

Honestly I think it would be a disappointment. Eh, whatever... just let them screw up Avatar and save Star Wars for better days.

alphac2005

That is a problem for them, long term. I firmly believe WDW should be trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. You can't please everyone all the time but you should aim as high as possible not just rest on certain demographics.

There is a lot of truth to appealing to all sorts of age demographics. We're actually coming off of what was essentially another baby boom and the surge was mainly from our new immigrant friends that tended to have more children, but they are rapidly having less children. So, what's going to happen over the next decade is that the cluster of ages that were part of this boom will become older and we're going to have less children, a rising overall population led by the boomers. So, Disney's appealing to six year olds and their mommies isn't a brilliant long-term strategy.... WAIT! I forgot for a moment, they don't deal in long-term strategy, rather short. I forgot who we were all talking about for a minute. :)

Goofyernmost

I actually have, a couple of times. When we happened to be in central florida anyway and wanted a pixie dust fix without paying full rate to the dealer, we've stayed just one night on points somewhere in the hotel plaza and then just walked DTD and took the water taxi up to PO & DxL.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't talking about people who reside in the area or are there on other business, going just to DTD (PI). The argument was made that DTD was needed to draw people to WDW from other places. I said, I didn't think that was possible. I can only speak for myself but the many years that I made the trip to WDW from Vermont, never once did my mind wander into what exciting thing might be happening at DTD. DTD was always a filler AFTER we had arrived. That was the just of my post. Why would it be important to make it like a 5th gate when they are only returning based on what the retail 3rd parties are paying out of their receipts. In order to be a place someone wants to go they do need to make it Disney looking, but, when the day is done...it a shopping center.

71jason

That's my fear. The theming would be great but it'd be one "E-Ticket" (really a C), two carnival rides, a M&G building, and a rough version of the Cantina. Definitely a good merchandise store.

Honestly I think it would be a disappointment. Eh, whatever... just let them screw up Avatar and save Star Wars for better days.

As long as the drinks in the Cantina have foam on top, it will be a success. If WWoHP has taught us anything, it'sthat guests like drinks in souvinier cups to have foam on top.

Kramerica

Why are people so quick to hate? Have we all become that jaded? I dig downtown Disney already. Sounds like it's only going to get better. I'm sure seeing the final product you'll have an "ah okay, now I get what they did there" moment.

71jason

although I haven't see any discounted WWoHP merchandise anywhere

Keeping The Spirit honest here, I have seen some (apparently discontinued) WWoHP merch at a discount in Festival Bay. We're talking only one or two islands in the whole store, tho. Meanwhile, two weekends ago (and 3 years after the land opened!), the stores were still so packed I could barely get into buy a scarf--it was cold at Mardi Gras that night!--and I waited in a 40-person line to buy a Guiness in Hogs Head. Overall, the branded stuff is still selling like crazy.

[And before anyone heads over there, store might be closed by now, as part of the whole turn Festival Bay into another Premium Outlet/"Disney Springs" plan.]

hokielutz

Why are people so quick to hate? Have we all become that jaded? I dig downtown Disney already. Sounds like it's only going to get better. I'm sure seeing the final product you'll have an "ah okay, now I get what they did there" moment.

Loved DTD better when Pleasure Island still had 8Traxx, Comedy Wharehouse, AC, and Mannequins.

MattM

JT ... AoA and GF DVC have nothing to do with anything but greed.
I would disagree with that to the extent that Disney was meeting a demand for family suite style rooms w/ AoA. People are definitely leaning towards them. Now, if you want to argue the price point of those rooms, that's a different point altogether.

DisneyGuyNYC

Disney already has "the theme park land of the century"?
Where? DisneySea?

tumblr_m90zlh3P8M1r4x6r1o1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom