Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, the difference of course is that if it is the photograph you took, you own the copyright. If it is artwork created by TWDC, they own the copyright and not whichever website that puts it out. I am sometimes surprised how little Disney seems to care to protect their copyrighted material.

Well, that's a huge issue with Disney. If they want to hold onto copyrights for some of their older characters (even Mickey) it seems odd that they allow so many to just take. Now, they do so because they pick and choose who they'll fight with. Apparently, they like folks like Tom, Lou and Jeff, so they can take whatever they like.

But again, it's very dangerous with some of Disney's properties getting quite old -- maybe that's why there's a plan to make Mickey relevant again in a BIG way ... oops, did I let something slip?

As for the original point, there is a HUGE difference between a photographer taking a photo and someone using the image without their consent (I recall telling @WDWFigment a while back that one of his Dumbo shots was on the front page of the Miami Herald's Travel Section) and taking proprietary leaked documents from a company like Disney and putting them out. Disney Legal could shut Tom's site down literally overnight if they wanted for doing something like that ... for whatever reason, they don't.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know indeed many people who do quite a lot of shopping when they travel to the US - but I always get the impression that it is the outlet malls where they spend the largest junk of their money.

I know that was a typo and you meant to type chunk, but I must say that JUNK is a very good term for much of what I see at the local outlet mall (supposedly the country's largest) and I see foreign travelers pushing carts loaded with stuff and suitcases they've bought to get their 'treasures' home again.

I just go to buy $2 vinylmation like any good Disney fanboi!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Perhaps they could implement a "Smart Parking" system like they have at BWI airport:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech...ystems-make-it-easier-to-find-a-parking-space

Basically, the entrance to each level has a digital sign that tells you how many open spaces there are (factoring in people that decided to enter that level but have yet to park), letting you know if you should venture in or continue up. Once you've chosen your level, green arrows at every aisle (along with a number) tell you how many spaces are open. Once in an aisle, green/red lights let you easily spot the space.

It's super efficient and there is no racing to spots/waiting for someone to back out (at least not at BWI) - sounds perfect for somewhere that will get a lot of parking traffic in an area unfamiliar with the structures.

Many places in L.A. have the same system or similar. Century City's Westfield Center comes to mind ... The Grove and Beverly Center also both have the counters at least.

Of course, that still doesn't stop the idiot who just has to have that Level 2 space, even though there are hundreds open two levels up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nah...I disagree.
I think it would be a huge hit, to the extent that most locals, fanboys and CPs would give it up as "too full of tourists."
AC, over 21 only, with a modest cover (for everyone)....gold mine.

Just like I need to get over the fact I'll never ride Journey Into Imagination or World of Motion again, you need to let go of the AC. It is dead and not coming back.

You need something to take your mind off the heartache ... how about a trip to the local Waffle House?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I totally agree that it is wrong to steal photos, regardless of who owns them, but if we are to take that stance then isn't Tom technically stealing by posting photos that aren't his? I am also going under the assumption that Tom does not own those photos or did not have permission from the owner of the copyrights to post those photos. If I am wrong, then I apologize.

Well, there is a theory floating around that someone in Celebration Place has been feeding Corless recently. ... FWIW, and not to increase the size of his already elephant-sized ego, but there are folks in Burbank that are starting to ask those questions.

There are things that are very easy to get 'leaked' to you if you have the right connections and there are certain docs that are much more difficult. Usually, those involve actual company artwork and renderings as they aren't something a contractor's secretary has handy access to.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree about he outlet malls, they are always packed and everyone is buying something like clothes, shoes, etc. Everyone is always carrying a lot of bags or buying luggage to keep their purchases in. That's the difference the Premium Outlet Mall just down the street on Vineland Ave. At the outlet mall, everyone is buying and at DTD everyone is looking around and maybe grabbing a bite to eat but I don't see that many people carrying much merchandise. At WOD, it is always crowded but most people are just browsing and not buying, there is hardly any lines at the cash registers. It seems like Disney is going to try to compete with the outlet malls more than like CityWalk.

I dunno. I've heard that WoD is the highest grossing retail outlet at WDW with Emporium coming in second and MouseGear third, but I don't have proof of that. It would make sense to me.

John

You get what you pay for.....Did I mention I hate vinylmations with a passion? Hate'em hate'em....hate'em. A Disney version of the Beanie Babies or whatever them god awful things were called.

What you need to collect is this:

Attachments

• Hamptons (800x600).jpg
    Hamptons (800x600).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 77

Clever Name

This is the same company that thought a large number of guests would reluctantly "settle" for Disneyland because they couldn't get into DCA.
That was Paul Yeargin and he was despised by most people. His opinion was not representative of TWDC.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Saw on this updated to Screamscape today: "Good news for fans of Downtown Disney’s Planet Hollywood. According to Screamscape sources who spoke with some anonymous Planet Hollywood peeps and the big globe restaurant will be getting an extensive makeover sometime during the next year or so, along with a slightly new name… but it will still essentially be the same Planet Hollywood you’ve come to know, with the same popular menu items. From this we assume that the structure will be visually transformed to appear less globe-like, and look more like a large themed observatory building instead. I’m also going to guess that the new name for the restaurant may be something along the lines of ‘The Observatory at Planet Hollywood”. Again, nothing major here just reiterating the Observatory restaurant concept. Basically just gives an idea of what kind of offerings this restaurant would give us. On a side note, it would be cool and weird if they make each well known celebrity a planet in the restaurant (Planet Gaga for lady gaga). But that won't happen. I trust this site more than S.S., so I'll treat their theory with a grain of salt.The best way to execute this here is to make it like your viewing/in a planatarium like venue. Then every half hour, a meteor shower would occur and you'd be able to look up to the ceiling and witness it. I hope from a thematic standpoint it mimics the work as seen in TREX and RFC which I'm sure it will. I hope at the very least this project gets mentioned at that Shareholder's meeting on Wednesday.

I've heard that PH will be remaining, but the whole unit will receive a HUGE makeover and most of what you see there in terms of props and the like will leave for more modern look.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here's my thoughts now after reading this thread and having the opportunity to have gone through the plans themselves;

1. This is way better than what DTD is currently. So there is that.
2. This is not what "we" want (i.e. improve the actual parks). But TDO will only invest into things that are directly linked to ROI ... not indirectly like attractions. (Even though that logic is skewed).
3. The "story" is contrived and confusing.
4. I have zero idea and cannot get a straight answer from anyone actually involved with this project on why The Adventurer's Club is not in this ...

Here are my thoughts on yours:

1.) It may well be, but the proof is in the final product not plans years away from completion;
2.) It seems that way, yes.;
3.) Absolutely and unneeded;
4.) Because Disney doesn't want to run clubs. The same reason to drove PI into the ground and then shuttered it. Nothing has changed there.

PhotoDave219

Really? Where? I didn't know you had seen it.

My prediction is $69 million opening. It's not gonna be a John Carter, but it's not gonna be an Alice either. ... I haven't decided whether to actually see it or just wait and see it on my upcoming Disney Cruise.

I saw it at the Disney Parks Blog meet up. My review: The film is ever bit the charlatan and husker that the wizards professes to be: All Style, No Substance. Its visually stunning but the acting & the script fall flat.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not me, mine is one I took myself. Stealing is stealing, and it's wrong. period.

Yeah, but what if it is soda in a Disney refillable mug and you were told by literally dozens of CMs, including managers over a decade-plus, that those suckers were good as long as you had them?

Then what?

(please for all that is holy, let's leave this as rhetorical!!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
The leaked plans are not the final version, so things are still be planned prior to an announcement.

This is true. The question is the scope of what will be changed. I've been told that very little in the way of BIG things will change. So, while these plans may not be 100% what gets done, it's a lot closer to say 96% than 52%.

jt04

Just like I need to get over the fact I'll never ride Journey Into Imagination or World of Motion again, you need to let go of the AC. It is dead and not coming back.

You need something to take your mind off the heartache ... how about a trip to the local Waffle House?

Speaking of waffles........

WDW1974

Original Poster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom