'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

muteki

1)Supposedly a room over Splittsville where they were negotiating with new tenants - or that is the "story" that is being served.

To reiterate a question I had a day or two ago, why exactly were they worried about the weather when making this announcement? I still think a major reason behind this was to attract potential vendors.

parker4fm

Anyone know a club/bar owner that has the money to open a spot in this? I know Disney does not want to be in the nightclub business, but if the right party came along to lease space...we could have a comedy club or dance club in Disney Springs. I was never fortunate enough to make it to Adventurer's Club, but I would love to see a third party recreate it!!!

Tim_4

Yes actually, if UO can work 24/7 on a a ride + building and get it open in less than 12 months then employing more contractors 24/7 - they could of got the project done. All they are doing are building pretty square boxes...nothing challenging...
There's a MAJOR difference. Disney Springs will need to be done around existing operating hours. They cannot work 24/7 because you can't just tell AMC or Splitsville or T-Rex "too bad, we need to shut down your operation for a year so we can bang this out real quick." There are current operations and current guests to consider. Sure, New Fantasyland could have been done very quickly if they closed ALL of Fantasyland in the meantime. You just don't have the access or the hours in the day to do something like this lickety split while working around guests. If they were to theoretically open a fifth gate, it would actually get done relatively quickly because you'd be building in the middle of nowhere and could run three full shifts.

OFTeric

556717_4836310820245_1455235318_n.jpg

Taken today.. the suites are strolling.

SirLink

Do you know how many models get built by Disney?

And they needed Tom Staggs, the global head of P&R, to announce essentially a mall makeover that gave absolutely no details. ...This is beyond strange. Gut says they have some tenants lined up, but not close to the numbers they want/need yet.

A lot, publicly HW never even got a picture of a model...

Gut says they have Tenants ... Tenants don't want to announce until they have guaranteed dates to move into their spaces, so they don't have to deal with annoying Shareholders of when they will be opening...

Second gut feeling because they haven't decided what will be in each opening phase...

Third gut feeling certain companies want more square footage and haven't got any public designs for certain premises ... yet...

WDW1974

To reiterate a question I had a day or two ago, why exactly were they worried about the weather when making this announcement? I still think a major reason behind this was to attract potential vendors.

It was either that or that and the issue of the tragic accident at Pop Century.

But I'm feeling more and more that they just don't have the tenants lined up and they think Staggs presence and the 'alleged hoopla' over today's announcement might help them.

disneyeater

At the reporting level you are correct. But you overlook the impact on cash flow (not amortized) and the spending/budgeting at the group or division level.

Amortization is purely about taxes - not actual spending and outflow of dollars

Agreed. Simply (overly) said, there is an income statement view and a balance sheet view. Investors care about both.

SirLink

There's a MAJOR difference. Disney Springs will need to be done around existing operating hours. They cannot work 24/7 because you can't just tell AMC or Splitsville or T-Rex "too bad, we need to shut down your operation for a year so we can bang this out real quick." There are current operations and current guests to consider.

Sure, New Fantasyland could have been done very quickly if they closed ALL of Fantasyland in the meantime. You just don't have the access or the hours in the day to do something like this lickety split while working around guests.

If they were to theoretically open a fifth gate, it would actually get done relatively quickly because you'd be building in the middle of nowhere and could run three full shifts.

1)It isn't like they are moving buildings so why would they need to shut down AMC/Splittsville/T-Rex/whatever to build a building quickly

2)No they wouldn't as UO are(were) building 24/7 in the middle of the park.

3)Well duh

WDW1974

A lot, publicly HW never even got a picture of a model...

Gut says they have Tenants ... Tenants don't want to announce until they have guaranteed dates to move into their spaces, so they don't have to deal with annoying Shareholders of when they will be opening...

Second gut feeling because they haven't decided what will be in each opening phase...

Third gut feeling certain companies want more square footage and haven't got any public designs for certain premises ... yet...

No offense, but I'm going with my gut on this.

It's felt off since the concept art was leaked (now, I'm thinking that it may well have been on purpose ... they do like using the same site to leak on).

You do NOT have a non-announcement announcement, let alone by such a high level official if things are going along swimmingly. You just don't.

The economy still sucks. Retail and Dining operators are closing units across the country. And Disney wants top dollar to locate here. It would be very safe to assume they are still having issues getting enough folks signed to announce ...

Nubs70

Taking time to complete the project to spread out the capital expenditure makes no sense. Most of the costs will be depreciated over the anticipated life of the project, so it does dot matter if it takes 1-3 years to build, the cost is spread over 20 years. It is in Disney's interest to complete the project as quickly as possible so they can start charging rent. The faster they get revenue, the better the ROI, the happier Wall St wil be.

The two things driving this time line are the logistics of building while stores are open (at least doubles the timeline) and minimizing construction costs. Anyone who has ever done a major renovation to a house knows it takes longer than building the original structure. You might be able to do it quicker, but the costs rise exponentially as you compress the time and if anything goes wrong, there is no slack in the schedule to correct it.

Being that depreciation can only start after the asset has been placed in service, spreading out payments during construction based on milestones will have no impact on cashflow?

Tim_4

Being that depreciation can only start after the asset has been placed in service, spreading out payments during construction based on milestones will have no impact on cashflow?
The opposite of that. Spreading payments DIRECTLY impacts cashflow. Payments ARE cash outflows. Depreciation is a non cash transaction used for accounting purposes. The only impact of depreciation on cashflow is tax savings.

Nubs70

No offense, but I'm going with my gut on this.

It's felt off since the concept art was leaked (now, I'm thinking that it may well have been on purpose ... they do like using the same site to leak on).

You do NOT have a non-announcement announcement, let alone by such a high level official if things are going along swimmingly. You just don't.

The economy still sucks. Retail and Dining operators are closing units across the country. And Disney wants top dollar to locate here. It would be very safe to assume they are still having issues getting enough folks signed to announce ...
TWDC's pitch may be, "The economy may suck where you are at but it doesn't suck in Disney Springs."

71jason

Actually, thinking about this now, as it currently stands, I will actually be spending less than last time...

If both the "Disney Pin Traders" and "Pollo Campero" buildings are being knocked down, I will actually be down 2 locations...

I know--where will we ever buy pins without that overgrown kiosk???

Glad to know who the one guy I ever saw eating in Pollo Campero was now, tho.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom