'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

GLaDOS

On another subject, as I'm late to the droolfest, but where was this announcement held? Was George K present and did he talk at all? Did Staggs take questions? How long did it last? Were any bloggers present (other than the one who leaked the 'official' artwork and took ownership)?

Just Staggs, no George from what I've seen. And yes, Staggs took questions afterward. Attractions Magazine, Orlando Sentinel, Mousesteps, and I think another news outlet were in attendance.

WDW1974

4,000 operational jobs as well, whatever that entails.

Projects like this always tout jobs. The best jobs will be for the folks who build the project. Construction jobs may be blue collar, but they certainly pay. ... The permanent jobs ... well, some will be decent. If you're managing a top dining locale or shopping outpost, but most will be just like your typical mall jobs.

SirLink

No. Some of us didn't miss that at all. As soon as I heard they made it official I went to look for a list of vendors and Disney locales. And found NONE. It does NOT inspire any confidence at all. I have coffee table books full of art that looks a helluva lot better than this stuff for things that never got built even after they were announced.

Have you ever heard of a mall being announced anywhere by a major developer with NO tenants announced? Seriously, I am amazed at how much rope people are willing to give TWDC. This is NOT how you announce something major.

On another subject, as I'm late to the droolfest, but where was this announcement held? Was George K present and did he talk at all? Did Staggs take questions? How long did it last? Were any bloggers present (other than the one who leaked the 'official' artwork and took ownership)?

1)Supposedly a room over Splittsville where they were negotiating with new tenants - or that is the "story" that is being served.
2)Nope Georgie K - supposedly the two Tom's and Kathy
3)Yes Staggs took questions - made a joke about Capt. Jacks joining LTM promotion.
4)Dunno
5)Attraction Magazine was there I believe certain fan sites weren't there, but regurgitated info from Attractions Magazine as their own.

WDW1974

if they still do free parking (which was announced) then they BETTER fix people riding the SSR busses ESPECIALLY with a new walkway which makes it even closer than before!

The biggest thing they need is simply busses FROM each park TO Disney Springs - if they want to make this a drop-off to Disney Springs and not a pickup that's fine but this would fix the SSR bus problems and help people get there from the parks

Um ... there's a reason why Disney stopped offering bus service from DD to the parks. Too many people were using DD as free parking ... they aren't going to go back on that.

mgf

From Twitter, I know Lou and Attractions Mag were there as well as Garcia. From these pictures it looked.... quaint.... and involved bowling.

https://twitter.com/Attractions/status/312199954259140608/photo/1 (Restoration Hardware?)

https://twitter.com/Attractions/status/312208364174184450/photo/1

tissandtully

Projects like this always tout jobs. The best jobs will be for the folks who build the project. Construction jobs may be blue collar, but they certainly pay. ... The permanent jobs ... well, some will be decent. If you're managing a top dining locale or shopping outpost, but most will be just like your typical mall jobs.

Florida needs all the jobs it can get. :)

WDW1974

1)Supposedly a room over Splittsville where they were negotiating with new tenants - or that is the "story" that is being served.
2)Nope Georgie K - supposedly the two Tom's and Kathy
3)Yes Staggs took questions - made a joke about Capt. Jacks joining LTM promotion.
4)Dunno
5)Attraction Magazine was there I believe certain fan sites weren't there, but regurgitated info from Attractions Magazine as their own.

Thanks. Quite telling.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I don't get how it takes 3 years though - weren't people saying 16-19 months, so we have effectively doubled the time frame. Again eh?
Did 16-19 months ever so seem doable, though?
3 years from beginning to end, for a project of this size and scope seems about right. Seems ambitious, even, given current/recent construction timelines.

flFigment

So this is the answer to the "Bold New Vision" they promised when they closed Pleasure Island?

Call me very unimpressed and lacking in the enthusiasm department for a project that will take till 2016 to be completed. Actually I believe that the project will be like many many other projects as of late from TDO. What ever happened to the bold new vision #1, #2, Hyperian wharf, how about that Walmart shopping district they said was coming ( I am so glad that never launched), How about Avatar, the list goes on and on from them.

I see this announcement as another form of TDO having an idea getting people hyped a little to forget about the fact they haven't added a new daytime parade in years, they have cut things every year in almost every aspect, they have increased prices astronomically, what was the last NEW thing they added to Walt Disney World that doesn't have a direct line MBA mentality attached to it.

I understand the spreading the cost of the project over years for the business aspect. I have a better idea how about having enough confidence in your product that you actually step up to the plate when it is being released or at least have a faster turn around time on things so people think it is still relevant.

I move that TDO Orlando scrap this idea of building a bold new vision mall that has NOTHING to do with Disney that seems to be nothing more than the Villages placed in Central Florida. Take the money that you were going to spend on this and fix the attractions that you have now. Expedition of Everest, Lights of Winter, etc. Put the quailty back into everything and not just the ones that have the direct line MBA mentality.

I know people are going to be the FLE well that is all and good and well it isnt done yet I have not been able to get into BOG. The story time with Belle is a good meet and greet on steroids. Little mermaid is about a 5 for me on a scale of 1 to 10 it looks way too much like Nemo for me.

I don't know; I don't see a BOLD NEW Vision here. I see a hype them up and Cop out later vision already here.

SirLink

Did 16-19 months ever so seem doable, though?
3 years from beginning to end, for a project of this size and scope seems about right. Seems ambitious, even, given current/recent construction timelines.

Yes actually, if UO can work 24/7 on a a ride + building and get it open in less than 12 months then employing more contractors 24/7 - they could of got the project done. All they are doing are building pretty square boxes...nothing challenging...

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Yes actually, if UO can work 24/7 on a a ride + building and get it open in less than 12 months then employing more contractors 24/7 - they could of got the project done. All they are doing are building pretty square boxes...nothing challenging...
Correction to my original post - Did 16-19 months ever seem doable given WDW's current/recent construction timelines?
OF COURSE it's doable - but was never going to be done within that time frame, if you know what I'm trying to say. Might be my Canadian accent.

wedenterprises

I read somewhere on here that Disney Springs will use the friendship boats... does that just mean to Saratoga? or is that a new internal boat system? - I really hope that Port Orleans and Dixie Landings retain their unique boats.

WDW1974

This time we have seen a model.

Do you know how many models get built by Disney?

And they needed Tom Staggs, the global head of P&R, to announce essentially a mall makeover that gave absolutely no details. ...This is beyond strange. Gut says they have some tenants lined up, but not close to the numbers they want/need yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom