'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

Ignohippo

Yes and Disney was disappointed with the fact of the FLE that it didn't do as well as they had expected and they blamed it on opening everything piecemeal.

Second this is the shopping complex the sooner you build it and it is done the sooner you can collect your rent though.

It makes no sense...

It makes perfect sense. I imagine the parking garage for the Marketplace will be the first thing to get built. Nothing will start on the Town Center area, as to not disturb the PI parking lot, until the Marketplace garage is open.

That means it'll probably be a year to a year and a half before construction on the West Side garage and the Town Center area can even begin.

First phase (speculation, of course):
• Marketplace garage
• The Landing (old PI area)
• Marketplace bridge
• West Side improvements(?)
• World of Disney expansion
• Construction of new backstage building
• Bridge to Sarasota Springs

Second phase:
• West Side garage
• Town Center area
• Bus dropoffs

Third phase:
• New stores at former bus loop

GLaDOS

Not exactly what I read. From Attractions Mag: "When asked about Trader Sams possibly coming, Staggs said they will have some uniquely Disney venues but no direct copies from Disneyland."

That does not confirm a bar necessarily. Too vague and too canned.

This isn't coming from Staggs. "Insider" information. So to speak.

wdwfan4ver

I am happy that I got a time frame now for when Construction starts for sure and when Disney Springs will be completed.

I would have like a vendor list, but getting a construction time frame is nice for people that will be going to DTD when the construction is happening since it will be affecting parking for phase 1.

RSoxNo1

This might just be the biggest "Nothing to see here" announcement in Disney World history.
Absolutely not. This is a decent sized project, but ultimately it boils down to more shops and restaurants and better parking facilities at Downtown Disney. They announced what we expected them to, but relative to some of the recent press events at least this one had official confirmation of a project.

phlip78

Am I the only one who wishes they would charge like Universal does for Citywalk or be admission required like parks. That area has become brutal to walk around at night because anyone in the area can go. I tried to get a pic with Jack Skeleton around halloween and it was a 5 hr wait because it wasn't inside a theme park and anyone could show up. They need to start having admission gates like it is a park in my opinion.

Genie of the Lamp

My biggest request is a shop that just sells park specific/attraction specific merchandise.

Isn't that what those gift shops are for once you exit the attraction? I would think their you'd be able to find attraction specific merchandise. Plus, shouldn't all those gift shops inside the parks not attached to attractions fulfill your request by having park specific merchandise?

trr1

the concept art for Disney Springs entrance kind of reminds me of the flamingo crossing concept art
Western_Beltway_development_Artist_Rendering.jpg

also The Landing area concept art looks like it could have apartment/guest rooms on the second floor which would be cool
disney-springs_Full_18436.jpg

Genie of the Lamp

Am I the only one who wishes they would charge like Universal does for Citywalk or be admission required like parks. That area has become brutal to walk around at night because anyone in the area can go. I tried to get a pic with Jack Skeleton around halloween and it was a 5 hr wait because it wasn't inside a theme park and anyone could show up. They need to start having admission gates like it is a park in my opinion.

I'm gonna get grilled for saying this, but I think they should charge for parking and not implement admission gates for DS. Although in your instance/case, charging admission would reduce the amount of guests in this area and thus be less of disturbance to you.

Avenger117

I love it all. I love the theme/style of the buildings, I love more shopping (Disney is the best at getting me to part with my money), and the new dining. I hope they add some neat vendors. Like a Disney Jack Spade or something.

ctxak98

Can anyone explain to me where Planet Hollywood is in these picutres? Is it leaving? I always liked Planet Hollywood!

DrewmanS

Hardly anybody uses these things. Way too overpriced.

If true, Disney wouldn't rent them any more. Obviously there is a market for various water craft. Last time at the MK we saw their brand new $1million yacht that is available for rent. I forget the cost, but it was obviously targeted at companies and top VIPs. I just thought it was funny to pay so much to rent a boat in a land locked lagoon!

djlaosc

Isn't that what those gift shops are for once you exit the attraction? I would think their you'd be able to find attraction specific merchandise. Plus, shouldn't all those gift shops inside the parks not attached to attractions fulfill your request by having park specific merchandise?

The problem is that they don't - there are some stores with some attraction specific merchandise in them, but most of the shops seem to be filled with generic merchandise...

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Can anyone explain to me where Planet Hollywood is in these picutres? Is it leaving? I always liked Planet Hollywood!
Unfortunately, planet Hollywood is staying. Fortunately however, it will be getting an exterior refurbishment to look like an observatory instead of the big blue eyesore it is now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom