Disney Springs construction begins

Next Big Thing

Here's a better picture showing off the changed road signage:
CNgH0wgWoAEgBV7.jpg

WDWFanDave

Here's a better picture showing off the changed road signage:
CNgH0wgWoAEgBV7.jpg

It seems like they've got most of the signs updated now. We did spot a couple (even one in the parking garage) that still say Downtown Disney, but, I'm sure the sign shop is still furiously working on getting them done and out.

I do have to say...the place is already transforming into much more than we ever imagined it might. For those who've talked of it becoming just another 'lifestyle' mall center...go see it, and if you still feel that way, don't go back. For me, it's nothing like one of those mall centers. It's a fantastic blend (already) of unique shopping, dining, and live entertainment. And, I have to believe the retailers are loving it. Shops were full and the registers were certainly collecting plenty of cash.

Next Big Thing

It seems like they've got most of the signs updated now. We did spot a couple (even one in the parking garage) that still say Downtown Disney, but, I'm sure the sign shop is still furiously working on getting them done and out.

I do have to say...the place is already transforming into much more than we ever imagined it might. For those who've talked of it becoming just another 'lifestyle' mall center...go see it, and if you still feel that way, don't go back. For me, it's nothing like one of those mall centers. It's a fantastic blend (already) of unique shopping, dining, and live entertainment. And, I have to believe the retailers are loving it. Shops were full and the registers were certainly collecting plenty of cash.
The ones in the parking garage are just stickers over a sign that say Disney Springs.

lazyboy97o

I do have to say...the place is already transforming into much more than we ever imagined it might. For those who've talked of it becoming just another 'lifestyle' mall center...go see it, and if you still feel that way, don't go back. For me, it's nothing like one of those mall centers. It's a fantastic blend (already) of unique shopping, dining, and live entertainment.
Your reason for why it is not a lifestyle center is pretty much the goal of a... lifestyle center.

WDWFanDave

Your reason for why it is not a lifestyle center is pretty much the goal of a... lifestyle center.
I didn't know that was the official definition. If so, then, I've just never found one in my area then. Shopping and dining, yes. But in cookie cutter buildings. Been to one, then you've seen them all. But none I've been to have live outdoor music at every turn. And, certainly nothing with the variety of design that we saw there. We went three different nights, and found different performers across the venue. Enjoyed it a great deal, had some amazing food, took in the music, and did a bit of shopping.

Certainly wouldn't expect anyone else to see it as I do, however. So, if you prefer to call it a lifestyle center, so be it.

ULPO46

I don't know if this has been addressed yet but the Disney Springs name will go into full affect by next week. Signs are being changed over night and maps are getting updated. As for this latest of ideas from Disney, I wonder if it will work. I agree the resort needed better dining options, but I don't think we needed over priced stores that should rather go to the Windermere or Dr. Phillips neighborhoods of Orlando. I mean I like the concept but from the stand view of locals, who will actually shop there. I know I sound like a broken record but 90% of the tourist staying on site, spend so much in the parks already that they barely have enough to buy anything expensive that isn't from the parks themselves. It would have been understandable if you build shops that sell things that the guest may need such as IPhone chargers or a small affordable pharmacy for over the counter meds, because who doesn't get sick, but the rest of all of the stores don't really appeal to me or the vast majority of locals and Floridians. I think the best idea ever was to build parking garages, just wish they had but them sooner.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I find it interesting they are making the change the day before Morimoto opens. I guess maybe that's why? Then they can just market it as Disney Springs from the get-go.

Maby they have some type of agreement that would make Morimoto the "first" tenate to open at Disney Springs?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Maby they have some type of agreement that would make Morimoto the "first" tenate to open at Disney Springs?

I think it's just that the Morimoto opening was closest to when they wanted to do the announcement, so for publicity value it makes sense to tie the two things together.

djkidkaz

I don't know if this has been addressed yet but the Disney Springs name will go into full affect by next week. Signs are being changed over night and maps are getting updated. As for this latest of ideas from Disney, I wonder if it will work. I agree the resort needed better dining options, but I don't think we needed over priced stores that should rather go to the Windermere or Dr. Phillips neighborhoods of Orlando. I mean I like the concept but from the stand view of locals, who will actually shop there. I know I sound like a broken record but 90% of the tourist staying on site, spend so much in the parks already that they barely have enough to buy anything expensive that isn't from the parks themselves. It would have been understandable if you build shops that sell things that the guest may need such as IPhone chargers or a small affordable pharmacy for over the counter meds, because who doesn't get sick, but the rest of all of the stores don't really appeal to me or the vast majority of locals and Floridians. I think the best idea ever was to build parking garages, just wish they had but them sooner.

Have you ever been to Florida Mall? It's a bunch of tourists walking around with empty suitcases they can fill up with merchandise to take back home. I would wager they all were in Florida for Disney in the first place and a stop for shopping was just an additional day of their trip. So in Disneys view, why not save them the trip of leaving property and keep them onsite at Disney Springs to spend their cash.

ULPO46

Have you ever been to Florida Mall? It's a bunch of tourists walking around with empty suitcases they can fill up with merchandise to take back home. I would wager they all were in Florida for Disney in the first place and a stop for shopping was just an additional day of their trip. So in Disneys view, why not save them the trip of leaving property and keep them onsite at Disney Springs to spend their cash.
Yes I have been there as well as Millenia, Fashion Square, and Festival Bay. But you look at Festival Bay and Florida and 10 years ago the malls where dying. Shops and really BIG BOX stores had to close in those places. It's true foreign tourist are shopping there that much is true but not as super cheek stores. Who needs to buy uggs at Disney when you can buy them at a Macy's or Nordstrom. I know in Disney's view they want to save them the trip but I know for a fact that local businesses are ed at the idea of Disney taking away their customers.

flyerjab

Next Big Thing

Yes I have been there as well as Millenia, Fashion Square, and Festival Bay. But you look at Festival Bay and Florida and 10 years ago the malls where dying. Shops and really BIG BOX stores had to close in those places. It's true foreign tourist are shopping there that much is true but not as super cheek stores. Who needs to buy uggs at Disney when you can buy them at a Macy's or Nordstrom. I know in Disney's view they want to save them the trip but I know for a fact that local businesses are ****ed at the idea of Disney taking away their customers.
The whole idea is to keep guests on-site for that day that they would normally drive away to the mall and shop. And if they can do their shopping at Disney instead of at the mall, maybe a small % will decide they don't need a car too.

It's all about keeping them within the bubble.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom