Disney Springs construction begins

JohnWD

Will the average visitor know what Disney Springs is? I have no faith. :cautious:
When I got my email from Disney a week or so before our arrival date, it mentioned Downtown Disney Construction, but nothing about Springs:
PARDON OUR PIXIE DUST
The Downtown Disney® Area is currently undergoing an amazing expansion, so if you're planning on visiting, please be aware that the road in front of it (Buena Vista Drive) is also under construction. We strongly recommend you use complimentary Walt Disney WorldResort transportation, as parking may be very limited—especially after 4 p.m.

Next Big Thing

Very small/blurry, but this was the only pic I could find:
images

Stitchon

L'Occitane has gone up for contracting bids. The site listing is behind a paywall, but the address listed for the store (1668 East Buena Vista Drive) matches up with Disney Springs.

roj2323

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There was a permit filed today for signs at DTD which gives names to all the parking lots. I have never parked at DTD myself so I am assuming these are new names...

Strawberry Lot - 1442 E Buena Vists Dr
Watermelon & Grapefruit Lots - 1478 E Buena Vists Dr
Mango & Orange Lots - 1496 E Buena Vists Dr
Lemon & Lime Lots - 1720 E Buena Vists Dr

suburbianj

It's true there is a still a lot of construction yet to go but if you go back to page 74 you can see just how far we have come since the first of the year
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-springs-construction-begins.862340/page-74

The progress and pace of this project is quite impressive really.

Funny that ain't it?when its guaranteed rental income from new stores coming to the springs they seem to be able to speed up building work......when it comes to avatar, for example,that's been getting built for about 17 gazillion years now it feels like?!?! I dont see any reason why with the new star wars land that they cant speed up the build time bearing in mind they are supposedly using alot of the buildings already there for it!

roj2323

Funny that ain't it?when its guaranteed rental income from new stores coming to the springs they seem to be able to speed up building work......when it comes to avatar, for example,that's been getting built for about 17 gazillion years now it feels like?!?! I dont see any reason why with the new star wars land that they cant speed up the build time bearing in mind they are supposedly using alot of the buildings already there for it!

I know right? I started a thread in the general forum on that very topic.

lazyboy97o

One reason, despite how much some want to deny it, is that Disney Springs is a mall. The buildings are designed for flexibility and a variety of uses over their lifetime.

Next Big Thing

One reason, despite how much some want to deny it, is that Disney Springs is a mall. The buildings are designed for flexibility and a variety of uses over their lifetime.
It's also a fairly easy build in comparison. They are just simple shop buildings that are designed to house any number of different stores should a tenant leave and a new one come in.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

I am an engineer that builds stuff all the time. I have to agree with others that building stores and restaurants is a lot different then building Pandora. Pandora is not only going to be a building to house the rides, but the rides themselves and the "art work" that has to go into making Pandora a total experience. I have said it before that the reason Pandora seems to have taken so long is it was made public even before the "Blue Sky" process started. Over half the time on anything this complex is planning and design.

Mouse Detective

I am an engineer that builds stuff all the time. I have to agree with others that building stores and restaurants is a lot different then building Pandora. Pandora is not only going to be a building to house the rides, but the rides themselves and the "art work" that has to go into making Pandora a total experience. I have said it before that the reason Pandora seems to have taken so long is it was made public even before the "Blue Sky" process started. Over half the time on anything this complex is planning and design.
All true but Universal seems to be able to do it just as elaborately and much quicker.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
All true but Universal seems to be able to do it just as elaborately and much quicker.

I have seen the post time for major construction (breaking ground to opening) at both Universal and Walt Disney World and their is little difference in the two. I will try to find the posting and link it back here.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I have seen the post time for major construction (breaking ground to opening) at both Universal and Walt Disney World and their is little difference in the two. I will try to find the posting and link it back here.

They're doing a quick flip of the former Nascar place at Citywalk. Not really a complicated job as its just gutting the exterior and adding a new skin for the NBC sports bar.

lazyboy97o

They're doing a quick flip of the former Nascar place at Citywalk. Not really a complicated job as its just gutting the exterior and adding a new skin for the NBC sports bar.
CityWalk is also a mall, so it too has the same sort of simple, adaptable forms and structures.

Jon81uk

The main problem with Avatar isn't the building time, its the fact the announced the project 2-3 years before ground breaking. In fact I think it was 2 years before they even closed the Lion King show. and they have done the same thing again with Star Wars, they haven't even started ground clearance and the project is announced. At least with Disney Springs as Pleasure Island was already closed they started building almost as soon as the first announcement was made.

I don't want to make this about Disney vs Universal again, but Universal generally don't announce until after construction has started, Kong announced this year after 6-12 months of construction. Fast & Furious announced this week and Disaster closes in two weeks so at least progress will be made soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom