Disney Springs construction begins

Jon81uk

I don't know if this has been addressed yet but the Disney Springs name will go into full affect by next week. Signs are being changed over night and maps are getting updated. As for this latest of ideas from Disney, I wonder if it will work. I agree the resort needed better dining options, but I don't think we needed over priced stores that should rather go to the Windermere or Dr. Phillips neighborhoods of Orlando. I mean I like the concept but from the stand view of locals, who will actually shop there. I know I sound like a broken record but 90% of the tourist staying on site, spend so much in the parks already that they barely have enough to buy anything expensive that isn't from the parks themselves. It would have been understandable if you build shops that sell things that the guest may need such as IPhone chargers or a small affordable pharmacy for over the counter meds, because who doesn't get sick, but the rest of all of the stores don't really appeal to me or the vast majority of locals and Floridians. I think the best idea ever was to build parking garages, just wish they had but them sooner.

Ast a tourist coming over from the UK to Florida, I would say the opposite, 90% of my spending is at Premium Outlets or Florida Mall (American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch). I don't generally buy much in the parks.

It looks like most of the shops planned for Disney Springs won't make me shop there, as the brands I want will be in Florida Mall and the prices I want at Premium Outlets.

But Disney Springs will more likely be competition for Milenia and the more high-end shoppers who want stores that aren't in Florida Mall to start with.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wonder what this area is going to be?

Capture.JPG

G00fyDad

Ast a tourist coming over from the UK to Florida, I would say the opposite, 90% of my spending is at Premium Outlets or Florida Mall (American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch). I don't generally buy much in the parks.

It looks like most of the shops planned for Disney Springs won't make me shop there, as the brands I want will be in Florida Mall and the prices I want at Premium Outlets.

But Disney Springs will more likely be competition for Milenia and the more high-end shoppers who want stores that aren't in Florida Mall to start with.

I agree that the high end shops are needed, but Disney really should think of everyone when it comes to these shops. They need to have more affordable options while at the same time keeping the high end shops. That way they keep everyone inside their bubble of spending. They really need to compete with the Outlets as well as places like Millenia. Catering to people that want to drop $500 in a single store for a few items is only going to continue forcing others (like myself) to go elsewhere to shop. They should be thinking of how to get every one of my dollars as well.

Next Big Thing

I agree that the high end shops are needed, but Disney really should think of everyone when it comes to these shops. They need to have more affordable options while at the same time keeping the high end shops. That way they keep everyone inside their bubble of spending. They really need to compete with the Outlets as well as places like Millenia. Catering to people that want to drop $500 in a single store for a few items is only going to continue forcing others (like myself) to go elsewhere to shop. They should be thinking of how to get every one of my dollars as well.
eh, idk. I don't think Disney Springs is the place for American Eagle/Hollister/Aeropostale/JC Penny/H&M/Express/Ect.

What I mean by that is shops that you can find in pretty much any mall. Disney Springs is trying to be unique. They don't want to have stuff you can find at your local mall in Iowa.

Jon81uk

eh, idk. I don't think Disney Springs is the place for American Eagle/Hollister/Aeropostale/JC Penny/H&M/Express/Ect.

What I mean by that is shops that you can find in pretty much any mall. Disney Springs is trying to be unique. They don't want to have stuff you can find at your local mall in Iowa.

I agree with both, they need unique stores, but also a range of price points.

But those who want outlet shopping will always go to outlets. Disney can't compete with those prices.

It's really a mute point, they brought these stores in, they are packed with people, everything is will be fine. Like any other business, the other malls will be fine or make changes themselves.

Next Big Thing

It's really a mute point, they brought these stores in, they are packed with people, everything is will be fine. Like any other business, the other malls will be fine or make changes themselves.
The one store I noticed that seems like it rarely has many people in it is Erwin Pearl Jewelry.

Maybe they are selling enough to make rent since the product is expensive, but I rarely see anyone in that store. Everywhere else is always packed.

G00fyDad

I don't necessarily think those particular stores should be there, but they need something for those that do not feel like getting a second mortgage to buy something.

Next Big Thing

I don't necessarily think those particular stores should be there, but they need something for those that do not feel like getting a second mortgage to buy something.
You don't have to spend your money there. I'm not trying to be rude, but that space used to be a parking lot. The old Marketplace still exists and is pretty much intact as it was and the West Side is mostly unchanged too.

Just because there are store there doesn't mean you HAVE to go there and buy things.

RayTheFirefly

If they connect the walkway to it about halfway up, then cover the concrete posts with decorative housings then it will be fine. :)
Now that I'm looking at it again, it might not be that high. The water looks like it'll come up at least a third of the way. The reason I'm leaning towards pier rather than bridge is the 90 degree angle. Common in piers, but not usually on bridges. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

G00fyDad

You don't have to spend your money there. I'm not trying to be rude, but that space used to be a parking lot. The old Marketplace still exists and is pretty much intact as it was and the West Side is mostly unchanged too.

Just because there are store there doesn't mean you HAVE to go there and buy things.

I am not necessarily concerned about myself. It is others that go to Disney Springs that I am curious about. Disney attempts to gather as much of our money as it can, but it does not bring in new retailers that will cater to those that do not want to spend an arm and a leg in one stop. Trust me, I have zero intention of going into many of these new shops. But that is about me and my preferences. I knew all along that these shops were going to be here, but it would be nice to have other options. Of course, you're right. They do already have some less expensive shops there.

ULPO46

Other than for the stores we know, does anyone have a total list of what will be opening? As for JC Penny, Aero and ect. If Disney did that I might as well start saying that Disney World finally has begun phase one of the EPCOT revitalization plan. Just think of it multi million dollar homes being built on property. Expensive town center replacing outdated entertainment district. What's next affordable housing on property? It has become a very interesting project not just on the view of Disney but how it will affect the local economy and how other resorts can compete. Disney still has another good 30 square miles to build anything it still wants. But for Universal and SEAS, that's a different story. I can't wait to see whats in store in the future and I am excited that I am young enough to be a part of that. Like I posted in my 192 thread. I hope that something as big as this project pours millions of dollars into the local economy wanting to compete with Disney again. I look forward to the success of both Disney Springs and everyone else!

Jon81uk

Other than for the stores we know, does anyone have a total list of what will be opening

This image from a presentation has been put out before. Superdry, Topman & Uniqlo have big presence in London so are of no interest to me as a British tourist who would rather go to Premium Outlets for cheap American brand. But for Superdry, Topman & Uniqlo it would be their first store in Florida (as far as I know) so could be a big deal to Disney.
DTD+brands.jpg

Although a World of Coca-Cola, similar to the Las Vegas location, would be very nice!

ULPO46

This image from a presentation has been put out before. Superdry, Topman & Uniqlo have big presence in London so are of no interest to me as a British tourist who would rather go to Premium Outlets for cheap American brand. But for Superdry, Topman & Uniqlo it would be their first store in Florida (as far as I know) so could be a big deal to Disney.
DTD+brands.jpg

Although a World of Coca-Cola, similar to the Las Vegas location, would be very nice!
So nothing new from the last time I checked the list. It's nice and all but still my opinion stands. hopefully the area will be nice and the two parking garages are enough to keep traffic low enough, which I still have doubts for. :)

Jon81uk

So nothing new from the last time I checked the list. It's nice and all but still my opinion stands.

In case you aren't familiar though, Superdry, Topman & Uniqlo are not really premium brands. Uniqlo is cheap to mid-priced basic items. Topman is mid-priced fashion and Superdry is similar to Abercrombie and Fitch (but with a Brit take on Japanese images).
Therefore, hopefully the store won't be too high end. :)

ULPO46

In case you aren't familiar though, Superdry, Topman & Uniqlo are not really premium brands. Uniqlo is cheap to mid-priced basic items. Topman is mid-priced fashion and Superdry is similar to Abercrombie and Fitch (but with a Brit take on Japanese images).
Therefore, hopefully the store won't be too high end. :)
Haha yes i do recall from a few summers in london. But I'm looking forward to its opening. Just don't hope the money went to a project that wont bring in the $$$$ it so hopes to do.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
DTD+brands.jpg

Remember that this image was put out a long time ago, and isn't necessarily still accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom