Disney Springs construction begins

Tim_4

So will construction begin immediately tomorrow or will it begin in mid April?
"Work" is beginning immediately but I'm not sure about "construction." They'll have to get trailers set up for temporary work spaces, temporary parking, light structures for night work, etc. I wouldn't expect any digging or real building for a couple of weeks at least.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
"Work" is beginning immediately but I'm not sure about "construction." They'll have to get trailers set up for temporary work spaces, temporary parking, light structures for night work, etc. I wouldn't expect any digging or real building for a couple of weeks at least.

I also haven't seen any permits beyond the ones for the construction trailers.

Tom

Beta Return
So will construction begin immediately tomorrow or will it begin in mid April?

I posted something like this in the MK Bus Station thread, but when anyone says a construction project is going to start, there's almost a 0% chance of seeing real activity within days, or even a week.

There's a LOT that goes into starting a project, including permitting and mobilizing. Plus, if a company gets a call on Friday that they were awarded a contract and should start, it's impossible to re-allocate manpower and equipment immediately.

Often times the start-up and mobilization will be dragged out while the Submittal process is completed. That's when the contractor puts together a packet for every single material used on the project, broken down by Spec Section, and sends it to the Architect for approval. It's extremely time consuming and pointless, but every architect thinks it's the "thing to do". So stupid. It only really matters for things like structural shop drawings.

In summary, keep watching WDWMagic, because Steve will post when something happens :)

jt04

I posted something like this in the MK Bus Station thread, but when anyone says a construction project is going to start, there's almost a 0% chance of seeing real activity within days, or even a week.

There's a LOT that goes into starting a project, including permitting and mobilizing. Plus, if a company gets a call on Friday that they were awarded a contract and should start, it's impossible to re-allocate manpower and equipment immediately.

Often times the start-up and mobilization will be dragged out while the Submittal process is completed. That's when the contractor puts together a packet for every single material used on the project, broken down by Spec Section, and sends it to the Architect for approval. It's extremely time consuming and pointless, but every architect thinks it's the "thing to do". So stupid. It only really matters for things like structural shop drawings.

In summary, keep watching WDWMagic, because Steve will post when something happens :)

And I thought it was as quick as going to a local drive-thru for a jiffy meal. The things I learn on WDWMagic!

Thanks for the explanation.

WDW1974

In other words, no real construction has started. ... Just prepping and even prepping for prepping!

I did hear the cast cafe has closed and isn't supposed to reopen anywhere else.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
In other words, no real construction has started. ... Just prepping and even prepping for prepping!

I did hear the cast cafe has closed and isn't supposed to reopen anywhere else.
It closes end of this week, and in the interim the cast dining will be located in Pollo Campero. Something more permanent will follow.

NoChesterHester

Taking some shots at architects in your last couple posts... What an unreasonable group?

Tom

Beta Return
Taking some shots at architects in your last couple posts... What an unreasonable group?

I've been dealing with some seriously idiotic Architects recently, so it's just been a sore spot. If you're an Architect, my apologies :)

I stand by most of my comments though, specifically about the submittal process.

NoChesterHester

I've been dealing with some seriously idiotic Architects recently, so it's just been a sore spot. If you're an Architect, my apologies :)

I stand by most of my comments though, specifically about the submittal process.

*Thread Derailment Commences*

I'm sorry you find the submittal process pointless, but it is absolutely necessary. Submittals are about quality. It isn't just some arbitrary paperwork process dreamed up by a sadistic megalomaniac. Now... I've definitely met my share of megalomaniacs in the business.

The submittal process isn't really in place for the general contractor, but rather the sub-contractors to make sure that the construction contract quality is adhered to.

As you know nearly countless products can be specified for any one item in any one small part of the project. Seemingly equal products can have very different physical properties and performance, all of which should be specified, but the nuances of the specific design criteria may not be immediately apparent. During the bid process the various sub contractors propose that their product can supposedly equal the performance requirements set forth by the designer. They don't always. Many times they don't at all.

The General Contractor's risk is accepting a low bid from someone that doesn't actually meet the spec, but how would that ever be determined without a submittal for the designer to review?

After the dust has settled the only person that could review such characteristics is the architect. The only one that 'could' be aware of all the nuances is the architect. The actual product to be installed absolutely must be submitted and reviewed by the designer to make sure that it actually conforms to the performance and aesthetics of the design.

Now that doesn't preclude someone from using the process as a stage for being a jerk or exerting power. That happens all too much.

But without a doubt... total disasters can be averted in the submittal process for all parties. I've been involved in some myself, one recently concerning exposed insulation in a rated plenum in a very very large building...

Lastly, there are few architects that set out to "build a monument to themselves" only to have the contractor bail out the project because of a budget issue. There is definitely another point of view as to the typical process that we refer to as value engineering. Much is driven by bad information, unrealistic expectations, and lack of communication. It really isn't usually some egotistic jag off.

*End of Derailment*

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
No it isn't closing yet.
end of summer from what I heard

Also although I DO think this is going to happen, it should b noted that construction started pretty quickly after HW was announced. They wasted no time demolishing the buildings and starting on the walkway when it all suddenly stopped.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Also although I DO think this is going to happen, it should b noted that construction started pretty quickly after HW was announced. They wasted no time demolishing the buildings and starting on the walkway when it all suddenly stopped.
It stopped though because Staggs took over and realized it could be so much bigger - and he made the right decision to stop. DIsney Springs is definitely a goer this time.

jt04

Yes, but nobody with a high profile at the WDC was involved in the previous announcement unlike this time. Also, keep in mind that I Drive Live and the I Shops are under construction, Festival Bay is being reimagined with a rumored 70 million dollar budget and the Orlando Magic will announce plans for their new entertainment-plex in a few weeks. There is no way Disney Springs is not happening. Take it to the bank.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom