Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Incomudro

So where is all the complaints about lack of management and safety concerns coming from, like it hasn't been that way all along. I must admit I hadn't heard about that one, but those were the good old days of Disney when everyone cared, so it is probably just a rumor. It's only the more recent uncaring, greedy management that would compromise customer safety. Isn't it?

We didn't have an internet, internet forums, at 24/7 cable news outlets in the 70's.

Goofyernmost

We didn't have an internet, internet forums, at 24/7 cable news outlets in the 70's.
That explains why we didn't hear about it, but shouldn't that stop all the foolish talk about how much they cared in the beginning and how evil they are now? It is obvious that they were just as unconcerned about injury to guests and were willing to take a chance on their safety to enhance the show! Even that though doesn't mean that they consciously didn't care, it's just that like everything else, if you tell them often enough how great they are they will consider themselves tefloned with the ability to do no wrong.

Crunchie9

three pages of trash and more talk about high school then any useful information about downtime’s; lead times or anything else related to the actual thread itself.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
three pages of trash and more talk about high school then any useful information about downtime’s; lead times or anything else related to the actual thread itself.

There is another thread that addresses the operational status of the Gondolas. According to a post made Friday (if true) - the Skyliner system will not be operational for guests for roughly another 2 weeks. There has still not been an official statement made by Disney as to the status, or a projected date as to when the system will resume operation. So it's still an unknown at this point.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

If you need to know the absolute current operational status of transportation at Walt Disney World, you should call Guest Services - (407) 939-2273. Not sure why you created an account just to make this comment, seems pretty silly to me.

Zipadeelady

There is another thread that addresses the operational status of the Gondolas. According to a post made Friday (if true) - the Skyliner system will not be operational for guests for roughly another 2 weeks. There has still not been an official statement made by Disney as to the status, or a projected date as to when the system will resume operation. So it's still an unknown at this point.
How did you hear it maybe a couple more weeks? We'll arrive next week and of course POP was chosen because of the skyliners :rolleyes:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
How did you hear it maybe a couple more weeks? We'll arrive next week and of course POP was chosen because of the skyliners :rolleyes:

Check the other post for accuracy. And keep in mind that the source has not been verified. But the gist is that they've been mandated to run the system for another 350 hours before allowing guests. Again, it is a completely unconfirmed source. So may be true/may be not.

Edited: I assume we will probably get a "heads up" from some of the insiders here....even before Disney makes an official announcement. So I'd check that thread regularly.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Check the other post for accuracy. And keep in mind that the source has not been verified. But the gist is that they've been mandated to run the system for another 350 hours before allowing guests. Again, it is a completely unconfirmed source. So may be true/may be not.

Edited: I assume we will probably get a "heads up" from some of the insiders here....even before Disney makes an official announcement. So I'd check that thread regularly.

350 hours if we presume 12 hour days, that is 29 days.. so it seems, if true, we have another month of testing. But we never really know what they are going to do, so we will see.

VaderTron

That explains why we didn't hear about it, but shouldn't that stop all the foolish talk about how much they cared in the beginning and how evil they are now? It is obvious that they were just as unconcerned about injury to guests and were willing to take a chance on their safety to enhance the show! Even that though doesn't mean that they consciously didn't care, it's just that like everything else, if you tell them often enough how great they are they will consider themselves tefloned with the ability to do no wrong.

At that time there was a lot more focus by Disney on customer experience and enjoyment. It was because they wanted to improve the experience that they circumvented a safety protocol they felt was unnecessary. (Clearly it was necessary to guard against human error and was a poor decision.) It's similar to how many at the time didn't see the point of seat belts in cars and wouldn't wear them because they felt it was an unnecessary precaution that reduced their enjoyment (some still don't). People don't refuse to wear seat belts because they hope they will die in a crash. It's that they feel if they are careful drivers they aren't in danger and won't have the to put up with the hindrance and inconvenience.

The change now is that Disney isn't putting the customer experience OR safety as the top priority. It's profits and shareholder smiles at the top of the list.

VaderTron

If the end result to either is people getting hurt, does that matter?
Absolutely it matters. Disney can't go back and change the poor decision on safety they made years ago. They can, however, hold to a higher safety standard today, which they seem to be doing in some areas. (They no longer override that safety feature on the monorails.) However, if Disney now downgrades the value of customer experience in favor of exponential profit gains I see that nearly as insulting as risking my safety for "a more magical experience".

It's a poor long-range plan to put safety AND customer experience second/third to profits. It will upset a much larger group of people than just safety or just "magical experience" people.

P.S. I understand what your point is. Safety SHOULD be the #1 concern. I agree with you. I just was trying to further develop the thought.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

disney4life2008

This was in February 1983. Don't feel sorry for me! I'm doing alright, better then most, in fact! At the time I was able to make a road trip with a family of four, from Vermont to Florida, for over a week and see far more things than most of you folks that sequester yourselves in the Mickey Mouse Cash Depository. That trip included three days at Magic Kingdom, an attempt to go to EPCOT Ctr. but was turned off by the length of the lines so went to the Kennedy Space Ctr. instead. We saw the Spanish Moss hanging from the Live Oaks in Georgia, drove on the beach in Daytona, Florida Citrus Tower just West of WDW, toured Silver Springs and Washington, DC. Altogether we budgeted 2K and came home with a couple hundred in travelers checks left over. We had a great time, one that, to this day is excitedly remembered by every single person in the family in detail. One of them was only 6 at the time. So don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for those that spent unnecessary amounts of money in a quest to have a good time, when all that was necessary was the joy of the total adventure.

I'm jealous I wish I could have visited in the 1980s. What kind of food did they serve? Like hot dogs? Chicken breast nuggets?

WDWFREAK53

I’m heading down the first week of December and I booked at CBR due to the Skyliner. (Not solely the Skyliner as it’s our favorite moderate). What we opted to not due (mainly due to the Skyliner) is rent a car. If the Skyliner isn’t up and running we will rent a car and if we rent a car, we may add a day at Islands of adventure rather than staying on Disney property.

I’m expecting it to be open and I really hope it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom