Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Rich Brownn

So where is all the complaints about lack of management and safety concerns coming from, like it hasn't been that way all along. I must admit I hadn't heard about that one, but those were the good old days of Disney when everyone cared, so it is probably just a rumor. It's only the more recent uncaring, greedy management that would compromise customer safety. Isn't it?
It's no rumor. I actually brought the rebuilt train out of the roundhouse for the first time in 1975 (And they put it behind Blue, which led me to remark "Best out of three?"). In those days everyone just assumed Disney knew what they were doing, and defaulted to them. (Plus a lot of experience had come from California and didn't understand things were different). My trainer was one of the drivers who flat-out refused to take the train around except back to shop.

TrojanUSC

A youtube vlogger said that around a week or two ago one of the monorails broke down. They went on to say that the passengers had to climb through the roof top exits and walk along the monorail roof (I'm guessing with no safety harnesses?) to climb onto a rescue vehicle. Did anyone else hear about this?

Don't believe vloggers - especially ones eager to make a name. They were rescued out the door. Some guests did open the emergency hatch because, unlike the gondolas, there is no passive ventilation. Leading a cabin with its A/C turned off to get very, very hot.

Last edited:

mergatroid

Don't believe vloggers - especially eager ones eager to make a name. They were rescued out the door. Some guests did open the emergency hatch because, unlike the gondolas, there is no passive ventilation. Leading a cabin with its A/C turned off to get very, very hot.

Thanks for clarifying.

tissandtully

I’m heading down the first week of December and I booked at CBR due to the Skyliner. (Not solely the Skyliner as it’s our favorite moderate). What we opted to not due (mainly due to the Skyliner) is rent a car. If the Skyliner isn’t up and running we will rent a car and if we rent a car, we may add a day at Islands of adventure rather than staying on Disney property.

I’m expecting it to be open and I really hope it is.
If it’s not open by December, then there are serious issues. Highly likely it will be open by then.

tissandtully

Wasn’t able to grab a pic, but view of Gondola load side from DHS boat showed orange cones and tape in load area, in front of 4 gondolas. CMs also unloaded something that looked like a weight or sandbag of some sort.

tissandtully

Pic of cones in front of loading, just to keep people out, some warning sign too.

Attachments

• 9D048073-0667-483A-B131-56C30970539D.jpeg
    9D048073-0667-483A-B131-56C30970539D.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 197

Creathir

I’m not sure how legitimate this is, but it’s something! Found on a YouTube video of the system
This seems like nonsense to me.
What good is 350 more runtime hours? These things have been tested for months, almost certainly more than 350 hours at this point.

“I want to see another 2 weeks of runtime before I let anyone else onboard.”

Goofyernmost

At that time there was a lot more focus by Disney on customer experience and enjoyment. It was because they wanted to improve the experience that they circumvented a safety protocol they felt was unnecessary. (Clearly it was necessary to guard against human error and was a poor decision.) It's similar to how many at the time didn't see the point of seat belts in cars and wouldn't wear them because they felt it was an unnecessary precaution that reduced their enjoyment (some still don't). People don't refuse to wear seat belts because they hope they will die in a crash. It's that they feel if they are careful drivers they aren't in danger and won't have the to put up with the hindrance and inconvenience.

The change now is that Disney isn't putting the customer experience OR safety as the top priority. It's profits and shareholder smiles at the top of the list.
Ignoring safety advise cannot be justified by saying it wasn't for profit it was just for customer enjoyment. Either one has the potential to make one very dead. Not very enjoyable. It was as dumb as doing it for profit, one is no less dead because they weren't trying to make money off it. Indirectly the were, of course, because if they are making the customers experience better it is to bring them back or add others to the customer pool. No Disney Park was ever built, including the original, because it was never thought of as an income source. No charity was involved at all. Just because having the park was a dream of Walt, doesn't mean it built it just to make people feel good, he did it for money and if it hadn't made money no one would be feeling good.

techgeek

This seems like nonsense to me.
What good is 350 more runtime hours? These things have been tested for months, almost certainly more than 350 hours at this point.

“I want to see another 2 weeks of runtime before I let anyone else onboard.”

If there were significant changes made to either control software or procedures, it may have been necessary to log a specific number of testing hours to validate those changes. Essentially it’s a ‘new’ system, if you change enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom