Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Millionaire2K

Yes but when gondolas suddenly crash into one another for unknown reasons and the system has to shut down for many hours stranding guests in possibly dangerous heat, one has to consider that such an event (or worse) could happen again. A prudent person must take these things into account.

As an example, I lived for many years in Homestead, Florida and I knew that the possibility existed for a major hurricane to hit that area. I always hoped for the best but I planned for the worst. My home withstood hurricane Andrew without any damage because I recognized the danger and took steps to protect my life and property.

Homestead, Florida is a perfectly safe place to live as long as you recognize and prepare for the occasional category 5 hurricane. The SkyLiner is a perfectly safe form of transportation as long as you recognize that you could be stranded for three hours or more while a dangerous heat index causes some passengers health issues including vomiting, dehydration and the need to go to the bathroom all while in close proximity to all the other passengers. I think prudence is advisable.

The point of my original post was to "just" address that stuff breaks and sometimes for no reason except that it did. Something breaking once does not prove design problem or any other issue related to the break. The break down "may" be a design issue or it could have been a very rare occurrence that never happens again.

I did not comment on Disney being prepared for the random break downs, that's another topic that I think Disney should look to improve on as best it can. I'm also confident Disney will evaluate it's evacuation plans b4 re-opening. Also I think little things like adding portable fans to the emergency kit can be helpful.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Can we become a clan next?

As long as the clan can adopt Macallan, Premier League, La Liga, Trips to Gran Via, Malaga, Wardour Street, Regent Street, Voorburgwal, Achterburgwal, Bad Homburg, St. Catherine's, and have monthly meetings at Zeughauskeller, and then have more Macallan - I'm 1000% in. I'd run for Clan President at that point. We'd be the "Clan of Degenerates". a/k/a EPCOT "Drinking Teams" - But our shirts would "rock"

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Hmmmm. Might have to add that to my list of places to check out next time I visit. I got a few now.

Good tip :geek:

SWGE

My Monkey 47 & Tonic (cucumber - no lime - because I take my drinking seriously) along with the Mrs' Gin & Flavored Tonic

Swolphin and EPCOT.

Well Done, Disney. Well done indeed.

Just to keep it relevant - This would be a fine spot for a Gondola Expansion. I wouldn't mind getting stuck here between the hours of 8:55 and 9:10pm. (Occasionally 9:55 or 10:55pm)

Last edited:

Phil12

One of the main problems with this whole incident is they are going to have to perform a thorough investigation to determine the multiple causes of the accident and the failures of the rescue operation. That will, of course, take a lot of time.

But the other matter is that once completed, Disney is not going to reveal the real causes of the accident. They'll come up with a story that will satisfy the curious public but also to protect TWDC and the Skyliner from future events of this nature.

Obviously they don't want to provide detailed information of the causes for fear that a saboteur might learn how to disable the ride. This presents serious security concerns for WDW.

mergatroid

So you are cherry picking specific comments unless the other comments have been deleted by a mod.
You came late the party.

Erm no, you originally said

Just go back and look how I was treated simply after my very first post. Attempts to insult or belittle me before any attempt to discuss. And if I am attacked...I attack back. I don't bend to the whim of insecure bullies.

So I went back to your very first post and quoted you the first four or five replies following it and not one of them was bullying you or ganging up on you, just giving an alternate opinion. I have neither the time or inclination to read every reply to every post you made, however I followed your request and checked the responses to your very first post and saw nothing?

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. You'll find there's numerous different types of posters on here and not all of them will always agree with what you, I or anyone else posts. If you temper your expectations and accept this from the start, you'll have a far more fulfilling experience on this site than you're currently portraying.

We have weird posters (some may say like me), smart posters, not so smart posters (me again), those who see Disney doing no wrong (80% of the time me), posters who seemingly hate everything about Disney, argumentative troll posters (?), entitled princess posters (katie bug), posters who know everything about Disney (marni1971) and your everyday run of the mill posters who just seem normal. Try being a bit less direct with them yourself and not second guessing their intentions towards you and perhaps you'll feel happier on here, or make a post introducing yourself and start over with a clean slate? Anyway, it's up to you and welcome.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Actually it should. If you couldn't afford $45 even in the 70s that means you were in the bottom percentage of social economic status. I'm so sorry.
This was in February 1983. Don't feel sorry for me! I'm doing alright, better then most, in fact! At the time I was able to make a road trip with a family of four, from Vermont to Florida, for over a week and see far more things than most of you folks that sequester yourselves in the Mickey Mouse Cash Depository. That trip included three days at Magic Kingdom, an attempt to go to EPCOT Ctr. but was turned off by the length of the lines so went to the Kennedy Space Ctr. instead. We saw the Spanish Moss hanging from the Live Oaks in Georgia, drove on the beach in Daytona, Florida Citrus Tower just West of WDW, toured Silver Springs and Washington, DC. Altogether we budgeted 2K and came home with a couple hundred in travelers checks left over. We had a great time, one that, to this day is excitedly remembered by every single person in the family in detail. One of them was only 6 at the time. So don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for those that spent unnecessary amounts of money in a quest to have a good time, when all that was necessary was the joy of the total adventure.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

What happened in 1974?
At the time, Disney insisted on having more trains on exterior than the system was designed for. They wanted the system to seem seamless, so as soon as one train exited the Magic Kingdom station, another would literally come in behind. The only way to do this was to bypass the MAPO/WABCO system which would have kept the trains a distance apart. In 1974 there was a train that was having brake issues, and needed to go off but they needed it to go around once more. Per usual, the MAPO/WABCO was bypassed but when the operator realized the train in the station had not yet dispatched, he applied the brakes and nothing happened. Red and Blue collided in the station, damaging both trains and seriously injuring the driver. After that, bypassing a MAPO/WABCO was a serious violation. The undamaged parts of Red and Blue were combined to create a new Blue and Red was rebuilt more or less from scratch.

mergatroid

At the time, Disney insisted on having more trains on exterior than the system was designed for. They wanted the system to seem seamless, so as soon as one train exited the Magic Kingdom station, another would literally come in behind. The only way to do this was to bypass the MAPO/WABCO system which would have kept the trains a distance apart. In 1974 there was a train that was having brake issues, and needed to go off but they needed it to go around once more. Per usual, the MAPO/WABCO was bypassed but when the operator realized the train in the station had not yet dispatched, he applied the brakes and nothing happened. Red and Blue collided in the station, damaging both trains and seriously injuring the driver. After that, bypassing a MAPO/WABCO was a serious violation. The undamaged parts of Red and Blue were combined to create a new Blue and Red was rebuilt more or less from scratch.

A youtube vlogger said that around a week or two ago one of the monorails broke down. They went on to say that the passengers had to climb through the roof top exits and walk along the monorail roof (I'm guessing with no safety harnesses?) to climb onto a rescue vehicle. Did anyone else hear about this?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
A youtube vlogger said that around a week or two ago one of the monorails broke down. They went on to say that the passengers had to climb through the roof top exits and walk along the monorail roof (I'm guessing with no safety harnesses?) to climb onto a rescue vehicle. Did anyone else hear about this?
Gold lost power over a switch at the end of September. Because of its position it was unable to be towed easily. RCFD evacuated passengers. No one was on the roof of the monorail.

Lilofan

I didn't but no surprise that Disney will try to keep this out of the media and if it leaks, then Disney PR gets involved. Work is done sometimes without a safety harness. The guys from Central American that replaced my home roof worked at high heights without any harness. I referred to these guys as , Spiderman.

Goofyernmost

So where is all the complaints about lack of management and safety concerns coming from, like it hasn't been that way all along. I must admit I hadn't heard about that one, but those were the good old days of Disney when everyone cared, so it is probably just a rumor. It's only the more recent uncaring, greedy management that would compromise customer safety. Isn't it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom