Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

peter11435

So you are assuming that the Skyliners are safe because it MAY have been human error and that is the basis for your entire argument?
Nobody is assuming the skyliner is safe. Those with knowledge of the system and those with the ability to read KNOW that the system is safe.

The fact that there was an incident doesn’t change that.

Buses have crashed and caught on fire.

Monorails have crashed, caught on fire, and gotten stuck (without AC) for hours.

Boats have crashed and caught on fire.

Are those modes of transportation safe?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For those that have ridden it or spent more time looking at pictures of the interiors, do they have any instruction signs for the call boxes? I'm just reminded of the signs the NYC subway where there are signs not to pull the emergency stop cord for most things, particularly medical emergencies.

It seems like it would be a good idea to clearly state people shouldn't use them just to report that they're stopped (Disney already knows, guys) and to reserve for actual medical emergencies.

There is a sign that says "Emergency Call Box, Press Button for Help." That is all the instructions provided.

Phil12

Nobody is assuming the skyliner is safe. Those with knowledge of the system and those with the ability to read KNOW that the system is safe.

Monorails have crashed, caught on fire, and gotten stuck (without AC) for hours.

Based upon your logic here I suppose we can look forward to Gondolas crashing and catching on fire in the future.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.

Exactly. I think the real point is that it is no more "unsafe" than other modes of transportation. What if a Minnie Van would have crashed on the first day of operation?

Millionaire2K

Now you're splitting hairs because the Skyliner accident was not caused by someone suffering from depression, it was a mechanical operational issue. That makes a VERY big difference in overall safety.

Ok so what about a brand new car that just so happens to have a bad belt or something and the car breaks down less than a week after buying it. The part is replaced for free and the car runs perfect for the next X amount of years with no issue related to the one it experienced the week you bought it?

Is this car not safe? Is this car trash? Or did something randomly break that is not prone to breaking just because... sometimes stuff just happens.

Sometimes new things just break for no reason at all. Another example, sometimes you buy a new electronic (TV, Cell Phone.. u pick) and it doesn't work or it breaks shortly after buying it. This does not mean the product design is crap, it just means you got a faulty item and you get it replaced.

Just because something goes wrong doesn't always mean it's the end of the world.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
It's funny how you get all upset if someone dares make what you consider to be an assumption about you, but you are quite okay with making assumptions about others.
Sounds like another personal attack. Once again that violates the rules of this forum.
source.gif

Orangeanna

Does anyone know if we're expecting weeks, months or longer of the shutdown. I don't want( nor could I get) a more exact date. I'm just curious about any timeline. I was really looking forward to riding and it's so sad to go and see the skyliner just sitting idol. Rumours?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
As infinitesimal as the odds would be. The law of probability would give you a day in which a Minnie Van would strike a Gondola pole, causing a skyliner cabin to come crashing down onto a Friendship boat causing the boat to sink.

Don't know about you but I'm not planning to be searching out the skies for falling gondolas while on-board. Skyliner is fine, will be fine. Just a few hiccups to remedy.

I'm just hoping Disney entertains my request for the inclusion of a small amount of Macallan 18 incorporated into the emergency kit.

Lilofan

Does anyone know if we're expecting weeks, months or longer of the shutdown. I don't want( nor could I get) a more exact date. I'm just curious about any timeline. I was really looking forward to riding and it's so sad to go and see the skyliner just sitting idol. Rumours?
It's one of those secrets like the secret sauce in the Big Macs😉

disney4life2008

Maybe I'm turning into an old fogey :p but looks to me like increases reflect a premium beyond normal hikes in prep for SkyLiner.
I don't blame WDW charging for access demand at Skyliner Moderates as they do at Monorail Deluxes.

Nemo Room at AoA Christmas week:
2015 - $514
2017 - $570
2019 - $708
2020 - $771

Caribbean Beach least expensive room:
2015 - $182
2017 - $187
2019 - $194
2020 - $230

Caribbean Beach most expensive room:
2015 - $368
2017 - $382
2019 - $460
2020 - $505

I remember a time when Carribean Beach was $79 And all stars was as low was 50.

Phil12

Ok so what about a brand new car that just so happens to have a bad belt or something and the car breaks down less than a week after buying it. The part is replaced for free and the car runs perfect for the next X amount of years with no issue related to the one it experienced the week you bought it?

Is this car not safe? Is this car trash? Or did something randomly break that is not prone to breaking just because... sometimes stuff just happens.

Sometimes new things just break for no reason at all. Another example, sometimes you buy a new electronic (TV, Cell Phone.. u pick) and it doesn't work or it breaks shortly after buying it. This does not mean the product design is crap, it just means you got a faulty item and you get it replaced.

Just because something goes wrong doesn't always mean it's the end of the world.
Yes but when gondolas suddenly crash into one another for unknown reasons and the system has to shut down for many hours stranding guests in possibly dangerous heat, one has to consider that such an event (or worse) could happen again. A prudent person must take these things into account.

As an example, I lived for many years in Homestead, Florida and I knew that the possibility existed for a major hurricane to hit that area. I always hoped for the best but I planned for the worst. My home withstood hurricane Andrew without any damage because I recognized the danger and took steps to protect my life and property.

Homestead, Florida is a perfectly safe place to live as long as you recognize and prepare for the occasional category 5 hurricane. The SkyLiner is a perfectly safe form of transportation as long as you recognize that you could be stranded for three hours or more while a dangerous heat index causes some passengers health issues including vomiting, dehydration and the need to go to the bathroom all while in close proximity to all the other passengers. I think prudence is advisable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom