Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I remember a time when the Contemporary was about $45.00 per night. So I guess that really no longer matters or is offered. And I still couldn't afford it.
The point was somebody called me out on saying the increases were higher for Skyliner resorts. I gave proof.
Now crickets and this stupid stuff. If everybody needs to have such high standards around here, at least stay consistent.

note2001

She has a right to her own opinions & feelings, rational or irrational. But Disney is not obligated to cater to them.
Exactly, and being a currently popular park vlogger is meaningless to most Disney guests.

By the way, she's also know for being afraid of: the lights in Target, the lights in the grocery stores, driving and working. 🤣 Yeah, I think the rest of us should just drop everything and stop living too.

The Skyliner will be used well and without fear by millions in the years to come. This initial incident will be forgotten, except on this forum of course where 10 years from now we will still be debating it.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
This initial incident will be forgotten, except on this forum of course where 10 years from now we will still be debating it.

Of course we will.

HE even still makes an appearance from time-to-time. Not as much as before. But he still pops in every now and then.

Lilofan

As an example, I lived for many years in Homestead, Florida and I knew that the possibility existed for a major hurricane to hit that area. I always hoped for the best but I planned for the worst. My home withstood hurricane Andrew without any damage because I recognized the danger and took steps to protect my life and property.
Hurricane Andrew cat 5 destroyed your town in 1992 and "nothing" happened your home?😒

scottieRoss

a better comparison is
Pop Century (February) preferred room 143
All Star Music (same date) preferred room 127
15.00 per day for the skyliner
Well, 10.00 per day since Pop was 5.00 more last year

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just how big do you this this barge would have to be?

Look at the size of the boat they used for Hourglass lake. That boat is approx 14' width, and probably 26' long.. if not bigger. And that boat was built for only about 10' over the water. The line over the IG canal looks to be about 45' up. So they'd need a platform over 30ft up.. more than 3x the height of the hourglass lake boat. The boats can't get big enough with enough displacement to be very stable platforms there in that canal.. you don't have the draft or space to navigate them there. You'd have to move more towards a barge like you see used for construction cranes and maybe something that was self anchoring to the bottom for stability. Just 4" of movement at 3ft off the ground translates to 2.5 ft of movement at 30ft! That's why its harder and harder the taller something is and why its extremely difficult to do without risking pushing the gondola all over the place.

BromBones

Look at the size of the boat they used for Hourglass lake. That boat is approx 14' width, and probably 26' long.. if not bigger. And that boat was built for only about 10' over the water. The line over the IG canal looks to be about 45' up. So they'd need a platform over 30ft up.. more than 3x the height of the hourglass lake boat. The boats can't get big enough with enough displacement to be very stable platforms there in that canal.. you don't have the draft or space to navigate them there. You'd have to move more towards a barge like you see used for construction cranes and maybe something that was self anchoring to the bottom for stability. Just 4" of movement at 3ft off the ground translates to 2.5 ft of movement at 30ft! That's why its harder and harder the taller something is and why its extremely difficult to do without risking pushing the gondola all over the place.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Or maybe they'll just have to repel people out of the gondolas on a zip line.
Good luck with infants, elderly and the handicapped.

BromBones

You still have the issue of fitting something through the two bridges. They aren’t THAT wide, because the openings underneath each one are divided.

And it might be time to replace those bridges with drawbridges since Disney is doing construction on everything else they may as well replace those too in order to accommodate the boats.

trainplane3

What a surprise, Jenn finds something else she doesn't like :rolleyes:

Maybe somebody should tell her the ferry she likes so much killed somebody many years ago.
I miss her on Twitter. There's been a lot less drama since she stopped using it. She used to bully users on there, then when they called her out, they were only "haters that wanted her fame". Sad because Tim is a genuinely nice guy.

Disney Analyst

What a surprise, Jenn finds something else she doesn't like :rolleyes:

Maybe somebody should tell her the ferry she likes so much killed somebody many years ago.

Was this even necessary? Does she need to justify her fears to you? People have fears. Many most would consider irrational. Try to be less judgemental in life.

peter11435

You invalidated any comment you made after that with that ridiculous and juvenile statement.
Feel better? Save that childishness for Twitter.
Lol.

There was nothing ridiculous or juvenile in that statement. Just facts. Sorry if you can’t handle that. It doesn’t take much research to know about the safety of these systems.

There’s only one person in this thread acting childish.

peter11435

Was this even necessary? Does she need to justify her fears to you? People have fears. Many most would consider irrational. Try to be less judgemental in life.
People are free to have irrational fears. But that doesn’t mean they should be catered to or that any opinions should based on them. They should largely be ignored as outliers

TrojanUSC

Exactly. I think the real point is that it is no more "unsafe" than other modes of transportation. What if a Minnie Van would have crashed on the first day of operation?

Based on the odds, the Minnievans are far more dangerous than the gondola system. Many external factors when riding in a car (or bus) that can pose a danger. By comparison Gondolas are far safer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom