Disney selling "chocolate animal poop"?

WhatJaneSays

I’ve seen similar treats at zoos and events for years. Animal “leavings” treats are not new by any means. I even helped make “sparkly unicorn poo” cookies for one of my nieces birthday party not 3 months ago and they were a major hit with kids and adults.

AEfx

Context matters. If this were an offering on a confectionery shop on Main St USA, then yes I'd be in total agreement that it would be inappropriate and poor taste by Disney. But it's in a park about animals, which has always had a strong educational vibe. As has been previously mentioned, there already is a station during Wilderness Explorers where you match the feces to the proper animal -- this is an extension of that.

See, that's the leap that confounds some of us.

From "they have a station where you visually identify" versus "they now offer you replicas to shove in your mouth and eat" LOL.

I have no objection to them talking about animal dung at AK, it's not about being "afraid" of the topic or saying the topic isn't appropriate - it's that the leap into snack food, ROFL.

The context does matter, I agree - and this is the type of thing that belongs in a naughty bakery in Manhattan. I stand by my original thought that if this is OK, then assuredly baked goods in the shape of genitals as educational value would work if they reopened Wonders of Life. ;)

anchorman314

The context does matter, I agree - and this is the type of thing that belongs in a naughty bakery in Manhattan. I stand by my original thought that if this is OK, then assuredly baked goods in the shape of genitals as educational value would work if they reopened Wonders of Life. ;)
And that is a leap that confounds me. This was not some sort of precedent-setting confection. There was no slippery slope. It was candy. Candy that happened to look like something guests would see out on the safari. In a park dedicated to animals.

Should MK stop selling LeFou's Brew because -- gasp! -- it looks like real beer and all the little kiddies will go home and start drinking Bud? Should Jelly Belly stop selling the aforementioned "Every Flavour Beans" so people don't think it's ok to eat their own boogers and vomit?

AEfx

And that is a leap that confounds me. This was not some sort of precedent-setting confection. There was no slippery slope. It was candy. Candy that happened to look like something guests would see out on the safari. In a park dedicated to animals.

I don't see it as a slippery slope - to me it's the same exact thing. /shrug

It's a really simple. If you disagree, more power to you, eat simulated poop till it comes out of your...ears - I just don't think it's very Disney-appropriate to be shilling replicas of edible feces. And though we haven't gotten official word yet, it seems Disney may agree. I doubt it's because of folks "complaining" on the Internet (I didn't contact them, certainly) but probably because some lower-mid-level manager thought this was a good idea and it wasn't until it got publicized that someone with enough sense in the Disney company saw what was going on and sided with good taste. We shall see.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
OK so let me make sure I have the facts straight ..... they now offer *poop* but get rid of melted cheese in MK?? Yeah, think I'm gonna pass on the poop, sorry, I think this is a horrible marketing strategy
Let's assume Disney's only guests are you and me. If they offer poop brownies, they sell one to me and zero to you. If they DON'T offer poop brownies, they sell zero to both of us. Seems pretty smart to offer them.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
...then assuredly baked goods in the shape of genitals as educational value would work if they reopened Wonders of Life. ;)
Are poop brownies really any more graphic than the talking sperm movie?

Epcot_-_The_Making_of_Me_logo.jpg

DisneyDebNJ

Let's assume Disney's only guests are you and me. If they offer poop brownies, they sell one to me and zero to you. If they DON'T offer poop brownies, they sell zero to both of us. Seems pretty smart to offer them.
have at 'em :) Just stating how I feel about it, doesn't seem like something I'd purchase, but... hey, my adult son would love this! LOL

CDavid

Are you suggesting there are guests out there who, looking for something sweet, would eat a poop brownie, but if that were not available, would not eat any other type of sweet or baked goods (such as plain, square brownies)? You are always the one arguing about cannibalization of business; Ordinarily such a view overlooks too many intangibles, among other problems, but in this case where the primary difference in brownies is just the shape and presentation of the product, I would tend to think most people could probably find an alternate dessert they'd like about as well (and based on taste reports, probably better).

Certainly some people would be attracted by the novelty of the item, but that same argument also supports a greater selection of specialty merchandise available in the parks (various t-shirt designs, attraction & resort-specific items, etc.).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Are you suggesting there are guests out there who, looking for something sweet, would eat a poop brownie, but if that were not available, would not eat any other type of sweet or baked goods (such as plain, square brownies)? You are always the one arguing about cannibalization of business; Ordinarily such a view overlooks too many intangibles, among other problems, but in this case where the primary difference in brownies is just the shape and presentation of the product, I would tend to think most people could probably find an alternate dessert they'd like about as well (and based on taste reports, probably better).

Certainly some people would be attracted by the novelty of the item, but that same argument also supports a greater selection of specialty merchandise available in the parks (various t-shirt designs, attraction & resort-specific items, etc.).
I think we actually agree on this one. When I've made the cannibalization argument in the past, it's been against MORE offerings from a strictly quantity perspective. I absolutely agree with the need for UNIQUE offerings (of which this is one).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom