News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I did discuss this with him -- told him that would most definitely factor into our decision-making (we've actually since decided that we're just going to hang onto our SSR points now and not buy Riviera unless something major changes). DVC has confirmed the resale changes -- it's not a rumor at this point.

Statement posted on DVCMember.com:

"Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.

This change does not apply to contracts purchased prior to January 19, 2019. Contracts gifted to family members will continue to have the same Resort access as before the ownership transfer.

The eligibility rules for Membership Extras and RCI access remain unchanged.

The Buena Vista Trading Company Disclosure Guide has been amended accordingly."

The DVC employees have been riding high off the hog for about 7 years...they tend to believe their own BS when that happens and are generally aloof.

Like many things with Disney...it’s gonna take a recession to knock the scales back into balance.

MickeyMinnieMom

Just received this DVC email...

5DBC95216D6F2E7076135B0161EF0FB4.png
MEMBER MAIL: HOT OFF THE PRESS
DISNEY'S RIVIERA RESORT
UPDATE
Dear Disney Vacation Club® Member

Since Disney’s Riviera Resort was first announced in July 2017, our Members have continually asked to be kept informed about the newest Resort. With that in mind, we wanted you to be among the first to hear some exciting updates. Construction is progressing extremely well on our new proposed Disney Vacation Club Resort, and it’s currently on schedule to open in Fall 2019.

When it opens its doors, Disney’s Riviera Resort will offer all the grandeur of Europe combined with the magic of Disney. The new Resort will be conveniently located in the heart of Walt Disney World® Resort, and feature unique access to Epcot® and Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, via the new Disney Skyliner.

Important information for Disney Vacation Club Members:
  • This Spring, Members can begin booking stays at Disney’s Riviera Resort with Vacation Points, accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members. Exact timing will be shared once the official opening date is confirmed.
In the interim, Disney’s Riviera Resort will begin taking rental reservations from the general public this month. To learn more about the new Resort, watch the Disney Parks Blog and follow Disney Vacation Club on Facebook and Instagram for updates.

We look forward to welcoming our newest Resort!

Disney Vacation Club

nickys

Premium Member
Just received this DVC email...

5DBC95216D6F2E7076135B0161EF0FB4.png

MEMBER MAIL: HOT OFF THE PRESS

DISNEY'S RIVIERA RESORT
UPDATE
Dear Disney Vacation Club® Member

Since Disney’s Riviera Resort was first announced in July 2017, our Members have continually asked to be kept informed about the newest Resort. With that in mind, we wanted you to be among the first to hear some exciting updates. Construction is progressing extremely well on our new proposed Disney Vacation Club Resort, and it’s currently on schedule to open in Fall 2019.

When it opens its doors, Disney’s Riviera Resort will offer all the grandeur of Europe combined with the magic of Disney. The new Resort will be conveniently located in the heart of Walt Disney World® Resort, and feature unique access to Epcot® and Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, via the new Disney Skyliner.

Important information for Disney Vacation Club Members:
  • This Spring, Members can begin booking stays at Disney’s Riviera Resort with Vacation Points, accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members. Exact timing will be shared once the official opening date is confirmed.
In the interim, Disney’s Riviera Resort will begin taking rental reservations from the general public this month. To learn more about the new Resort, watch the Disney Parks Blog and follow Disney Vacation Club on Facebook and Instagram for updates.

We look forward to welcoming our newest Resort!

Disney Vacation Club

Anyone else wondering how they can take public bookings this month if they don’t have an opening date?

Not to mention wondering how the *@£#*# they can take public bookings ie: cash, before members are able to book. Shouldn’t those buying at Riviera get first dibs, then existing members, then the public?

This has really p**d me off, big time. :mad:

Missing20K

Anyone else wondering how they can take public bookings this month if they don’t have an opening date?

Not to mention wondering how the *@£#*# they can take public bookings ie: cash, before members are able to book. Shouldn’t those buying at Riviera get first dibs, then existing members, then the public?

Perhaps they have not sold as many points as they anticipated, so they have extra rooms available for the public?

MickeyMinnieMom

I'm assuming they'll announce opening date and acceptance of reservations at the same time.... or begin booking dates further out to be safe?

Isn't the block available for DVC booking dictated by DVC sales? That amount will be set aside for member booking... no? It also says that they are holding a block aside to begin with. Besides waiting being annoying, what is the concern?

ETA: I will say that I was surprised that they didn't include an explanation about this in the email... it doesn't exactly read well that DVC members have to wait longer to book than cash reservations...

Last edited:

Wngo905

In the Parks
No

Well, they could do cash reservation for dates in the Winter (December going forward) to avoid a moving opening date and then roll back the dates once the opening date is known.
As for Members, a Fall date is still outside the 7 month window. When we get to March, then the 7month window for the Fall would be opening. And they make it clear the inventory for Members is being held out of the cash reservations.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm assuming they'll announce opening date and acceptance of reservations at the same time.

Isn't the block available for DVC booking dictated by DVC sales? That amount will be set aside for member booking... no? Besides waiting being annoying, what is the concern?

Because when a new resort opens, they can take cash bookings for any rooms not yet declared. If they are taking cash bookings even before sales start, then they are limiting the number of rooms that can be declared, because those would have to be reserved for members to book.

nickys

Premium Member
Well, they could do cash reservation for dates in the Winter (December going forward) to avoid a moving opening date and then roll back the dates once the opening date is known.
As for Members, a Fall date is still outside the 7 month window. When we get to March, then the 7month window for the Fall would be opening. And they make it clear the inventory for Members is being held out of the cash reservations.

See my reply below about limiting the number of rooms they can declare if they take a large number of cash bookings. They may end up only declaring 10% of the rooms if they’ve booked the rest on cash.

MickeyMinnieMom

Because when a new resort opens, they can take cash bookings for any rooms not yet declared. If they are taking cash bookings even before sales start, then they are limiting the number of rooms that can be declared, because those would have to be reserved for members to book.
So are you not buying this: "accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members", or assuming they won't hold "enough" aside?

nickys

Premium Member
So are you not buying this: "accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members", or assuming they won't hold "enough" aside?

I think they will sell as much rooms for cash as they can, and then simply tell us that a small percentage of rooms are declared.

If they said 80% is being held, fair enough. But that wording could allow them to hold 10%.

Missing20K

I think they will sell as much rooms for cash as they can, and then simply tell us that a small percentage of rooms are declared.

If they said 80% is being held, fair enough. But that wording could allow them to hold 10%.
Do you feel this approach is in response to lackluster demand for new DVC, or what exactly? Is it a safe assumption that they make more on a cash night stay vs. DVC point stay?

I agree, if I was a DVC owner I'd be fairly upset I don't get "first dibs."

carolina_yankee

The resort is large. They are not going to declare the whole resort into inventory upfront. They will declare enough to sustain a pace of sales they expect. The rest of the resort will be available for cash. Remember, any inventory that isn't sold gets dues paid for by Disney, so they want to generate income - either from owners or cash guests. Having DVC inventory that isn't sold and is booked by DVC members who own elsewhere creates usage without corresponding dues payments to over the costs of that usage.

I read that as the "protected inventory" will be what's declared into DVC. The rest will be cash bookings, and could be a brilliant sales strategy. The resort is opening at a time when Food & Wine is in full swing and SW:GE is opening or close to opening, and at a time that the Epcot resorts are often fully booked. Riviera will be an upscale resort with outstanding access to two parks. Opening during peak time for those two parks creates demand that fills the resort with cash guests whom they expect to wow and who are given the pitch, "Better buy here if you want to stay here."

If current owners are too jaded to add-on because of resale restrictions, then a full-bore pitch to cash guests expands the DVC pool.

Dirk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom