News Disney Riviera Resort announced

jt04

I miss too much when I only look at the forums during the work week. ;)

I don't have much to add beyond what @lazyboy97o has already said.

I had no idea this window thing would blow up so much, but my intent in mentioning the McMansion Hell blog was hyperbolic. Simply an attempt to use extreme examples (McMansion Hell) to shed light on much subtler examples (Disney Resort Architecture).

Window sizes, shapes, types can be interchanged and mixed and matched at the will of the designer. However, the execution of such a design is whether it is deemed successful or not. Generally speaking, this leads to designs in which fewer window types are used, as they tend to compliment one another more than a mishmash of different styles.

Maybe the backstory includes tales of an eccentric architect.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I miss too much when I only look at the forums during the work week. ;)

I don't have much to add beyond what @lazyboy97o has already said.

I had no idea this window thing would blow up so much, but my intent in mentioning the McMansion Hell blog was hyperbolic. Simply an attempt to use extreme examples (McMansion Hell) to shed light on much subtler examples (Disney Resort Architecture).

Window sizes, shapes, types can be interchanged and mixed and matched at the will of the designer. However, the execution of such a design is whether it is deemed successful or not. Generally speaking, this leads to designs in which fewer window types are used, as they tend to compliment one another more than a mishmash of different styles.
In our defense they aren’t giving us a whole lot else to talk about. If they give us a peak at the rooms or the main pool or even the lobby we’d move right on from windows. Obsessing over every detail is what this place is for ;). I can’t have these discussions in the real world because nobody else cares enough.

I imagine we’ll get some more meat to discuss soon.

lazyboy97o

In our defense they aren’t giving us a whole lot else to talk about. If they give us a peak at the rooms or the main pool or even the lobby we’d move right on from windows. Obsessing over every detail is what this place is for ;). I can’t have these discussions in the real world because nobody else cares enough.

I imagine we’ll get some more meat to discuss soon.
I’m all geared up to rant about the wainscoting!

nickys

Premium Member
I can’t recall after following this thread whether we have a sense as to when they might start selling this resort?

I think they’ll start giving some details about the opening date and rooms etc sometime in the next couple of months. Sales will probably follow the same pattern as CCV:

- current owners will get 2 weeks “head start” to buy points, around 4 months ahead of opening
- then opened to general sales

-bookings open for owners sometime later, again a few weeks “head start”
- then open to any DVC members for a few weeks
- then open for cash bookings

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When I found out they were gonna build a nondescript tower on top of Barbados in Caribbean...it was a “10
Foot pole” proposition for me...

...with the policy update that locks you in...it’s now at least a 20 footer

nickys

Premium Member
I think they’ll start giving some details about the opening date and rooms etc sometime in the next couple of months. Sales will probably follow the same pattern as CCV:

- current owners will get 2 weeks “head start” to buy points, around 4 months ahead of opening
- then opened to general sales

-bookings open for owners sometime later, again a few weeks “head start”
- then open to any DVC members for a few weeks
- then open for cash bookings

Edited to add, apparently there is a “Riviera meeting” scheduled for 4th February. Could well be finalising information to be released .....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When I found out they were gonna build a nondescript tower on top of Barbados in Caribbean...it was a “10

You missed the news, it’s descript now. It has both round and square dormers on the roof but only one shape has actual windows;). There’s also a rumor now that it will have some pretty snazzy wainscoting;)

All kidding aside, I’m very curious to see how the new resale policy really works. I still don't fully believe they will limit Riviera resale owners to booking at Riviera only. That will severely kill the resale market for that resort (and all new ones) which could make direct buyers hesitate knowing their points will drop dramatically in value if they need to get out.

sndral

You missed the news, it’s descript now. It has both round and square dormers on the roof but only one shape has actual windows;). There’s also a rumor now that it will have some pretty snazzy wainscoting;)

All kidding aside, I’m very curious to see how the new resale policy really works. I still don't fully believe they will limit Riviera resale owners to booking at Riviera only. That will severely kill the resale market for that resort (and all new ones) which could make direct buyers hesitate knowing their points will drop dramatically in value if they need to get out.
Ironically, for some DVC resorts, if you bought direct at the initial price you could hold for a couple of years and then sell at a profit. I don’t think we’ll see that w/ Riviera and we’re even less likely to see it w/ the next DVC behemoth, Reflections. I suspect that most direct buyers of DVC aren’t the types to pull out their excell spreadsheets and calculate ROI, thus if resale prices drop in value like most timeshares do, we’ll see an uptick in foreclosures and if another recession hits, look out below.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ironically, for some DVC resorts, if you bought direct at the initial price you could hold for a couple of years and then sell at a profit. I don’t think we’ll see that w/ Riviera and we’re even less likely to see it w/ the next DVC behemoth, Reflections. I suspect that most direct buyers of DVC aren’t the types to pull out their excell spreadsheets and calculate ROI, thus if resale prices drop in value like most timeshares do, we’ll see an uptick in foreclosures and if another recession hits, look out below.
DVC has a ton of owners who buy second and third contracts. Not everyone is just a rube tourist rooked in with a fancy sales pitch (although there are plenty of those too;)). I think they are missing the boat if they follow through on this. A healthy resale market is one of the cornerstones of the DVC program.

MickeyMinnieMom

We were just considering finally selling our SSR points (we never stay there) and buying at Riviera. This throws a wrench in that thinking. Though if they do go through with the change, maybe better to offload SSR now and get those contracts grandfathered in so buyers could still use the points at ANY resort... but then holding Riviera that we couldn’t resell except to those who just want to stay there?? Seems nutty... I got a voicemail yesterday from our DVC rep about “interesting opportunities”... I might call back today to hear what that spiel is...

Lensman

We were just considering finally selling our SSR points (we never stay there) and buying at Riviera. This throws a wrench in that thinking. Though if they do go through with the change, maybe better to offload SSR now and get those contracts grandfathered in so buyers could still use the points at ANY resort... but then holding Riviera that we couldn’t resell except to those who just want to stay there?? Seems nutty... I got a voicemail yesterday from our DVC rep about “interesting opportunities”... I might call back today to hear what that spiel is...
You should be transparent with your DVC rep about how you may not be interested in buying Riviera anymore because of concerns about resale due to the changes in policies. Or at least that it would be a concern of yours. I wonder if your rep would be allowed to confirm or deny the rumor?

What was there is no longer relevant. After all, it's not like you'd walk out your door and step on shards from the rubble of Barbados that they forgot to clear. Barbados and half of Martinique were completely leveled and cleared. If your concern is that you don't like the proximity of Riviera to Caribbean Beach, then make that point. For me, that's of little concern. I'm slightly curious to know how they are going to keep CBR guests out of the pool areas, but I don't go in the pools, so I don't particularly care about that.

From the latest concept art it reminds me a bit of the Grand. It certainly looks more distinctive than BLT, which I thoroughly enjoyed after actually staying in but was quite reluctant prior to that. In any case, for me, it's what on the inside that counts. As of today, we still have no information on that other than it including a rooftop restaurant with views of the parks.

I will agree that the potential resale restrictions make a direct contract even less appealing, though I had no intention of buying direct at Riviera anyway. I may now consider resale there one day if the price comes down low enough and the resort turns out to be nice.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I will agree that the potential resale restrictions make a direct contract even less appealing, though I had no intention of buying direct at Riviera anyway. I may now consider resale there one day if the price comes down low enough and the resort turns out to be nice.
I was thinking something similar but I read in another thread they are targeting the direct price for Riviera north of $200. How far will resale really drop? If it drops 50% would it be worth buying resale yet at Riviera knowing you can never trade in for another resort? Maybe a small contract that you could use every 3rd year. I’m not a huge fan of staying at the same place every year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How about just renting DVC point when you actually want to visit every couple years instead of handing over THOUSANDS and paying fees every year.

I guess it is similar to not buying a car but rather paying for an Uber when you need one.
Renting points works pretty well too, especially with direct prices where they are today. It’s hard to find a break even point vs renting points when buying direct.

When I suggested buying a small contract and using it every 3rd year I meant resale not direct. In my example, if the resale price at Riviera really hit $100 a point or 50% of the rumored direct price and you bought a 50 point contract for $5,000 you could bank and borrow 3 years worth of points to get to 150 points every 3rd year which should get you a week in a studio most times of year. Assuming $6 a point in MFs to start you would be paying $300 per year plus a small increase or roughly $1,000 for the 3 years of points. If you rented 150 points at the going rate of $17 a point you would be paying $2,550 for the points for the week. That’s a savings of $1,550 per stay MFs vs renting. If you assume MFs and point rental rates go up about the same % each year then the increases aren’t really relevant. At the rate of saving around $1,500 a stay after 4 stays or 12 years you would more than break even on your $5K upfront cash payment and still have years of use or potential resale of the points. This is simple math not including time value of money but even with that thrown in you won’t stretch it more than 5 stays or 15 years.

At the $200 direct price it would take 30+ years to break even and depending on assumptions you probably never will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom