News Disney Riviera Resort announced

dothebrdwalk

I'd like to add that upon second look at the Concept Art- it has a similar style to the pool area of the Portofino Bay Resort at Universal.

Also.... when they say DVC resort- is the entire resort DVC villas? Will there be regular rooms? What are the odds that a regular non-DVC owner could stay there anytime soon if it is in fact all DVC?

jaxonp

Some of you need to go take a basic business class.
Finally someone who gets what concept art is supposed to do. The point of this type of art is not to sell you on every feature of the resort like an MLS listing on Zillow. It’s supposed to elicit an emotional response. It’s like the first short movie trailer that hypes you up for a new movie but reveals nothing about the plot. When it gets closer to the movie’s release the longer more detailed trailer comes out. As you said there will be more specific details released later. There’s no mystery or conspiracy about the pools either. You can’t show the resort from that angel without showing the quiet pool. It would look really weird if that area was just blank.

Lol

alex0c

Looks kind of basic.. landscaping could be nicer (queen palms, etc) and the building itself is rather plain. Looking forward to seeing lthe feature pool along with lobby and other interior renderings.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some of you need to go take a basic business class.

Lol
Some of us don’t need to.

Some of us have a degree in business and have actually worked in the industry and understand what yesterday was all about.
In all honesty you really don’t need a business degree or even a basic class to understand this. We are all marketed to everyday so it should be pretty easy to understand. I think my movie trailer analogy was pretty good, but even within the theme park industry new rides are always teased this way. First concept art is usually more whimsical with more of a basic concept and builds anticipation, then they hit you with actual ride details as the ride gets closer to opening.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks kind of basic.. landscaping could be nicer (queen palms, etc) and the building itself is rather plain. Looking forward to seeing lthe feature pool along with lobby and other interior renderings.
I agree, the tower building itself is still pretty meh. Nice enough but nothing to write home about. I’m not sure about the colored shutters by the windows. While they did add some “French Riviera” style architectural elements around the rooftop, the building in the new art still doesn’t scream French Riviera to me. The pathway around the lake looks nice.

The mid-rise seems to be the preferred way to go with Disney these days. Gone is their classic concept of clusters of multiple smaller buidings. Not sure if that’s pure cost cutting or more of an architectural trend (I assume mostly the former). The one big benefit to the higher buildings is nicer views from the rooms and rooftops. One of my favorite views at WDW is the high floor lake view rooms at BLT. Something very peaceful and relaxing about a big view out over a quiet lake. It’s especially nice after a long day in a crowded theme park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also.... when they say DVC resort- is the entire resort DVC villas? Will there be regular rooms? What are the odds that a regular non-DVC owner could stay there anytime soon if it is in fact all DVC?
It’s all DVC rooms, no hotel rooms. The resort will open all at once and likely well before all of the points are sold so there should be some cash rooms available through Disney right away. As time goes on you will always be able to rent points from an owner as well.

peter11435

In all honesty you really don’t need a business degree or even a basic class to understand this. We are all marketed to everyday so it should be pretty easy to understand. I think my movie trailer analogy was pretty good, but even within the theme park industry new rides are always teased this way. First concept art is usually more whimsical with more of a basic concept and builds anticipation, then they hit you with actual ride details as the ride gets closer to opening.
Correct.

Although in this case I nor the company would even classify this release as marketing.

jaxonp

Just to be clear you agree this is Disney marketing but not selling?

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

But surely if a trailer is boring, than it's either a bad trailer or the film is not very good?

Flynnwriter

Here’s a picture of a quiet pool at the Beach Club:
View attachment 326587

If I use this as my sole piece of information to judge the quality of the pools at that resort I’d probably say they are below average and pretty boring.

You forgot the detialed building in the backgournd. Your arguement just fell apart. Riviera’s Tower looks like a housing project.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But surely if a trailer is boring, than it's either a bad trailer or the film is not very good?
Yes. I agree with that. What I think we disagree on is that the 2nd concept art a “bad trailer”. I actually think it’s pretty effective for its intent. They will be selling points for this resort based on the fact that it is close to the 2 hottest parks in terms of upcoming additions including direct transport to both parks via the brand new skyway, the views of the fireworks/night shows at EPCOt and DHS. The theme and architecture are really secondary in this case. The art checks all of the boxes with views of ToT, EPCOT fireworks and the gondolas swinging by.

Now take a resort like Animal Kingdom Lodge. They were selling that as having direct access to view live animals and it has a pretty elaborate theme. The art they used was reflective of that as opposed to highlighting the resort’s location or transportation options which are not big selling features.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to be clear you agree this is Disney marketing but not selling?
The points are not for sale yet so there is nothing to sell. This is part of the overall DVC marketing. They tease a new resort when appropriate to wet people’s appetite and get them in the door then when the time is right the sales guys come in with all of the fine print and details and close the buyers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom