News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

s8film40

This is going to be the next big thing for Disney. They’ll probably have all kinds of special bags. Events, festivals, limited editions, AP exclusives, CM exclusives, bags to commemorate anniversaries, attractions, etc. the list is endless.

ToTBellHop

This is going to be the next big thing for Disney. They’ll probably have all kinds of special bags. Events, festivals, limited editions, AP exclusives, CM exclusives, bags to commemorate anniversaries, attractions, etc. the list is endless.
I can’t wait to ride the Journey Into Reusable Shopping Bags Starring the Paper Straw & Friends E-ticket. In a perfect blending of two classic Epcot adventures with an added splash of “Disney” and “family”, guests will embark on a rollicking, frolicking adventure with Pigment, a purple paper straw who sings, “It’s Fun to Be [Plastic] Free!”

Last edited:

daringstoic

I thought they did have them for events already. I have a couple from MNSSHP in 2011, but I can't remember if they were sold in the parks or something I picked up as a CM. I think we bought them, but it's been a while and I'm still buried under a mountain of merch I bought back then.

s8film40

I thought they did have them for events already. I have a couple from MNSSHP in 2011, but I can't remember if they were sold in the parks or something I picked up as a CM. I think we bought them, but it's been a while and I'm still buried under a mountain of merch I bought back then.
I don’t know, but the difference is now if these will be the only shopping bags offered then everyone will be using them. Much like Magic Bands everyone will want to be seen in (or in this case carrying) something that reflects their personality or better yet is cool or hip because it was a rare bag only issued on a specific day or limited.

Also the markup on these is huge! It probably costs Disney like $.10 a bag. So even if they over produce certain bags That aren’t as popular sellers they can afford to trash 3/4 of their stock and still turn a profit.

21stamps

I don’t know, but the difference is now if these will be the only shopping bags offered then everyone will be using them. Much like Magic Bands everyone will want to be seen in (or in this case carrying) something that reflects their personality or better yet is cool or hip because it was a rare bag only issued on a specific day or limited.

Also the markup on these is huge! It probably costs Disney like $.10 a bag. So even if they over produce certain bags That aren’t as popular sellers they can afford to trash 3/4 of their stock and still turn a profit.

Do you not reuse reusable bags often though? I’m not even talking about just for shopping.. there’s so many uses.

s8film40

Do you not reuse reusable bags often though? I’m not even talking about just for shopping.. there’s so many uses.
I reuse a lot of bags myself. Actually theme park bags like what Disney has right now are some of the best. I have WDW bags from 20 years ago that are in great shape. I would say they’re actually probably even better than what some other people sell as reusable bags.

AEfx

Honestly all environmental aspects aside I really don’t understand why adults use straws, it’s just silly. A thick shake or slushy I can understand but really by the time your 5 or 6 you should’ve learned how to drink out of a cup by then (disabilities obviously excluded).

Yes, the reason that virtually every establishment in the country that sells fountain drinks provides a cover and a proper straw is because people are too stupid to know how to drink out of a cup without them. It has nothing to do with portability, not getting a mouthful of ice, or the fact that it changes the mouthfeel of a carbonated beverage when sipped.

/roll eyes

Oh wait, next we will have someone remind us again what rubes Americans are in general because we ice our drinks to begin with.

s8film40

Oh wait, next we will have someone remind us again what rubes Americans are in general because we ice our drinks to begin with.
Haha, I never put it together before, the same people who can’t figure how to use a cup are the same people who think they need to add ice to an already cold drink! Now it all makes sense.

Jon81uk

You don't find it ironic that they're going to stop carrying paper-wrapped plastic straws but will continue to carry plastic wrapped paper straws...

I do. And I find your insistence that it isn't ironic ... ironic.

No as the plastic wrapped item is a good product similar to packets of chips or candy bars. I wouldn’t purchase a pineapple flavoured straw to drink a coffee Frappuccino with (that would taste weird!), the two products are unrelated one is basically candy, the other something to drink your drink with.

Movielover

I liked their cookie straws better.

FWIW, I always tolerate at least a little capitalism in corporate America. Take away the free disposable plastic straws in favor of the cheaper sippy lids while still selling flavored straws for a profit (we think)? Where can I invest in such business genius? Tell me where to send my money!

(sorry for the added late-edit @Movielover, I understand if you want to withdraw your like, or I will state here that @Movielover's like is mostly about the cookie straw part! PM me if you want me to remove this commentary. I'm pandering to your like, so let me know what you'd like me to do! It's ironic that I'm pandering for likes while commenting on a post alleging that Starbucks is pandering to an environmental policy. lol)

After a careful session of pondering, close to an half hour on the porcelain throne, I have decided to unlike then re-like your post on the bases of 30% liking what you have said, 27% of agreement on business practices, and 41% of not understanding math!

Movielover

No as the plastic wrapped item is a good product similar to packets of chips or candy bars. I wouldn’t purchase a pineapple flavoured straw to drink a coffee Frappuccino with (that would taste weird!), the two products are unrelated one is basically candy, the other something to drink your drink with.

I think the more ironic point about all of this is that Starbucks is stopping the uses of single uses plastic straws in the name of the environment, however are not stopping the use of the single use plastic used to wrap the candy straws. People are finding it ironic and hypocritical that they would give up the free product but not the one that makes them money.

Jon81uk

I think the more ironic point about all of this is that Starbucks is stopping the uses of single uses plastic straws in the name of the environment, however are not stopping the use of the single use plastic used to wrap the candy straws. People are finding it ironic and hypocritical that they would give up the free product but not the one that makes them money.

Its still not ironic. The paid-for straw existed first and needs the wrapper to be able to function. Its like stating they are still selling candy bars in wrappers despite getting rid of plastic straws.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Its still not ironic. The paid-for straw existed first and needs the wrapper to be able to function. Its like stating they are still selling candy bars in wrappers despite getting rid of plastic straws.
images(25).jpg

Movielover

Uh no it is. The internet is exploding in admiration over how Starbucks is "paving the way" for the future and are modern day saints for removing single use plastic yet they are still using single use plastic that involves a fro profit product. Yes those straws may have existed first but the fact that they are still using that plastic is the hypocritical part which is very ironic.

Plus the fact that their new baby's first drink sippy cup lids use more plastic in general is also ironic!

LittleBuford

Now that you mention it, I don’t get the American obsession with ice at all. It takes up precious refreshment space! I was once charged extra for my lemonade when I asked for it without ice, which was very revealing.

Jon81uk

Uh no it is. The internet is exploding in admiration over how Starbucks is "paving the way" for the future and are modern day saints for removing single use plastic yet they are still using single use plastic that involves a fro profit product. Yes those straws may have existed first but the fact that they are still using that plastic is the hypocritical part which is very ironic.

Plus the fact that their new baby's first drink sippy cup lids use more plastic in general is also ironic!

It might be hypocritical, but it is not ironic.

Also a drinking straw can be replaced by a paper straw. A plastic food wrapper is harder to replace, how else do you protect the flavour? How about a bag of chips, should Starbucks just pour those into your hands?

The ones that do need fixing (and I have seen this at WDW) are oranges and bananas (which have a very good natural wrapper) that the food court sold wrapped in saran (cling) wrap!

John park hopper

Now that you mention it, I don’t get the American obsession with ice at all. It takes up precious refreshment space! I was once charged extra for my lemonade when I asked for it without ice, which was very revealing.

We here in the Colonies like our ice and we have plenty of it - it keeps our drinks cold. We like our beer cold too main reason we broke from England-- we hate warm beer nothing worse than a warm beer on a hot day

Movielover

Also a drinking straw can be replaced by a paper straw. A plastic food wrapper is harder to replace, how else do you protect the flavour? How about a bag of chips, should Starbucks just pour those into your hands?

Except they are not replacing their plastic straws with paper, they are using replacement lids that use more plastic then before. As for chips and other things as of right now there is no better way, which is why this whole situation is incredible idiotic and pointless.

As for Starbucks pouring anything into my hands I would say no because I do not purchase anything from Starbucks. i waste my own money in other ventures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom