News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

EPCOT-O.G.

He might be referring to this:
View attachment 774413
Though, this doesn't really disprove concerns that much of it could go to DVC and resort improvements. Luckily, $30 Billion is a lot of money. Disney could add a new DVC every year of the ten year plan, and still have plenty of money for parks investment.

It also provides breathing room for a 2nd park at Shanghai Disney Resort. Because their government partners are coughing up roughly 60% of the money, Disney could devote $3-4 Billion to Shanghai, and get a fantastic second gate, new resorts, and additions to the first park.

The people that should be happiest with this chart are Disney Cruise Line fans. One of the tricky things about this capital-allocation plan is when exactly it starts counting. Presumably, delivery fees for the three cruise ships already under construction will be counted towards the $12 Billion. That eats up some of the cash. Disney might also allocate money to build more physical infrastructure (cruise terminals, private islands, piers). But I think we could see 3-4 additional ships added by the end of the period. That would push DCL fleets to 11-12. That's just a speculative guess though.
Thanks for sharing. Still waiting for @peter11435 to tell us what “chart” people are being misleading about. It’s pretty bad form to call out others for acting in bad faith but refusing to share the source material he’s claiming is being misrepresented.

Gusey

Shanghai have already announced that they are focusing on expansion pad 3 (between Zootopia and Tresure Cove), so we won't be hearing about a Shanghai 2nd gate for a while
1711209548094.png

WoundedDreamer

Shanghai have already announced that they are focusing on expansion pad 3 (between Zootopia and Tresure Cove), so we won't be hearing about a Shanghai 2nd gate for a while
View attachment 774448
No doubt, in the short term the new hotel and this attraction will be the focus of spending. But by the end of the ten-year period, we should see a new park. I'd be willing to bet on it. Disney has billions to spend.

I don’t disagree, but I also don’t think they will apportion an equal amount to each park. I don’t think they’re doing anything more with Epcot unless they absolutely have to. (Did you hear something? That sounds like the rickety clunk clunk clunk you hear every time you ascend or descend SSE).

We figure *something* is happening at DAK. They also just built SWGE and MMRR at DHS, so while they do need some added capacity, I’m not sure of the appetite there.

I figure MK, then DAK, then DHS, then maybe something at Epcot?
Makes sense though it’s so infuriating that Epcot is done. Feels like a travesty with respect to the time things have been under construction and results. So little to show for all the disruption and in some cases the replacements are worse/cheaper than what came before (e.g., the planters that are replacing the fountain etc).

Bocabear

In the end, if they had spent the money on the SSE redo, Mary Poppins, A new Country Pavilion, and Imagination complete overhaul and left the whole central spine the way it was except for refurbishing ( modernizing) the Communicore East and West Buildings I would have been much happier....Instead of the corporate urban park, water play area, and partial replacement building that matches nothing else that we ended up with. If we all felt like this infrastructure was the beginning of something amazing that was coming...it would be easier to swallow... but 5 years of construction, I think most people are like... Ok.... more trees and benches.....and still a major pavilion shuttered and lots of cancelled projects...and not much coming up.

denyuntilcaught

Fair, but then again Shanghai also seems to go through expansions relatively quickly - back-to back even, compared to domestic parks which seem to go eons between significant announcements.

JoeCamel

In the end, if they had spent the money on the SSE redo, Mary Poppins, A new Country Pavilion, and Imagination complete overhaul and left the whole central spine the way it was except for refurbishing ( modernizing) the Communicore East and West Buildings I would have been much happier....Instead of the corporate urban park, water play area, and partial replacement building that matches nothing else that we ended up with. If we all felt like this infrastructure was the beginning of something amazing that was coming...it would be easier to swallow... but 5 years of construction, I think most people are like... Ok.... more trees and benches.....and still a major pavilion shuttered and lots of cancelled projects...and not much coming up.
I can tell you haven't seen the basement they rebuilt, do you know how hard it is to build a basement in a swamp?

They dreamt it and they did it.......

cjkeating

Fair, but then again Shanghai also seems to go through expansions relatively quickly - back-to back even, compared to domestic parks which seem to go eons between significant announcements.
Shanghai has just opened its first expansion after 7 nearly 8 years. Toy Story Land can't be counted as a true expansion as it was due to open with the park but budget cut when the park went massively over budget.

Yes the next project is starting now but it is still a few years away and likely running close to it's original schedule whilst Zootopia was delayed due to COVID.

Gusey

First expansion was Toy Story Land in 2018, the second was Zootopia in 2023, 5 years later. Wouldn't exactly call that back-to-back or going through expansions quickly.

People often forget when looking at the International Parks that they have also not had a great track record when it comes to speed between announcement and opening. Hong Kong's Frozen opened nearly 7 years (November 20, 2016 to November 22, 2023) after it was announced. Fantasy Springs will open nearly 6 years after it was announced (June 14, 2018 to June 6, 2024) and Paris's Frozen will open after over 7 years (announced February 2018)

lazyboy97o

Shanghai has just opened its first expansion after 7 nearly 8 years. Toy Story Land can't be counted as a true expansion as it was due to open with the park but budget cut when the park went massively over budget.

Yes the next project is starting now but it is still a few years away and likely running close to it's original schedule whilst Zootopia was delayed due to COVID.
Toy Story Land was never going to open with the park. They had to wait for Hong Disneyland’s exclusivity to end.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Right…footers and computer fabricated Steel and rockwork take years…

They’ll have notre dame rebuilt in the time it takes to get Nick Wildes Zany Trackless Ride online…

Bocabear

Shanghai needs to expand the current park because the park opened needing more attractions... If you go to the park you will see how much space there is between the attractions...how much room for expansion before you need a second gate. Building another new park is not the plus that some seem to think...The new infrastructure is outrageously expensive, and if you have a gigantic park with plenty of room for expansion, why bother? It is not actually going to double your business... not until your first park has a full slate of attractions that are maxed out...WDW has started the last three parks underbuilt and has never really finished fleshing a single one out. Disneyland has more attractions than the Magic Kingdom...in a smaller park.... Shanghai should keep adding attractions to the existing park...it is massive...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom