News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Shanghai needs to expand the current park because the park opened needing more attractions... If you go to the park you will see how much space there is between the attractions...how much room for expansion before you need a second gate. Building another new park is not the plus that some seem to think...The new infrastructure is outrageously expensive, and if you have a gigantic park with plenty of room for expansion, why bother? It is not actually going to double your business... not until your first park has a full slate of attractions that are maxed out...WDW has started the last three parks underbuilt and has never really finished fleshing a single one out. Disneyland has more attractions than the Magic Kingdom...in a smaller park.... Shanghai should keep adding attractions to the existing park...it is massive...
So did mgm and dak…

…I guess they’ve been busy getting around to it, huh?

Bocabear

So did mgm and dak…

…I guess they’ve been busy getting around to it, huh?
That is why I said WDW started their last 3 projects as underbuilt...They are getting around to adding some things, but even after the recent additions to DHS, people still say it is a half day park....as they do about DAK...
EPCOT could use at least 4 or 5 more attractions, additional pavilions etc as well....and then there is the refurbishing and updating....which is the part Disney is bad about...
Remember when DHS got down to 5 rides in the park....before they started Star Wars Land and TSL... It was pathetic... THey are still trying to catch up...all of the Florida parks are and have shuttered attractions in plain sight...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is why I said WDW started their last 3 projects as underbuilt...They are getting around to adding some things, but even after the recent additions to DHS, people still say it is a half day park....as they do about DAK...
EPCOT could use at least 4 or 5 more attractions, additional pavilions etc as well....and then there is the refurbishing and updating....which is the part Disney is bad about...
Remember when DHS got down to 5 rides in the park....before they started Star Wars Land and TSL... It was pathetic... THey are still trying to catch up...all of the Florida parks are and have shuttered attractions in plain sight...
True

Some genius decided adding things to make your crowd happy was too much overhead…while making them frustrated to sell upsells was Einstein level thinking

JD80

In the end, if they had spent the money on the SSE redo, Mary Poppins, A new Country Pavilion, and Imagination complete overhaul and left the whole central spine the way it was except for refurbishing ( modernizing) the Communicore East and West Buildings I would have been much happier....Instead of the corporate urban park, water play area, and partial replacement building that matches nothing else that we ended up with. If we all felt like this infrastructure was the beginning of something amazing that was coming...it would be easier to swallow... but 5 years of construction, I think most people are like... Ok.... more trees and benches.....and still a major pavilion shuttered and lots of cancelled projects...and not much coming up.

Have you been to the so called urban park? In my opinion it's fantastic.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Shanghai needs to expand the current park because the park opened needing more attractions... If you go to the park you will see how much space there is between the attractions...how much room for expansion before you need a second gate. Building another new park is not the plus that some seem to think...The new infrastructure is outrageously expensive, and if you have a gigantic park with plenty of room for expansion, why bother? It is not actually going to double your business... not until your first park has a full slate of attractions that are maxed out...WDW has started the last three parks underbuilt and has never really finished fleshing a single one out. Disneyland has more attractions than the Magic Kingdom...in a smaller park.... Shanghai should keep adding attractions to the existing park...it is massive...
This is true, but even more reason they might add a second gate anyway. They know people will still come and they'll get more money by having two gates. Then they can spend decades very slowly filling them out.

Bocabear

This is true, but even more reason they might add a second gate anyway. They know people will still come and they'll get more money by having two gates. Then they can spend decades very slowly filling them out.
A second gate requires a billion dollars in basic infrastructure... Yes you can make more money with 2 parks in most situations, but the investment in the startup of the second gate will take decades to recoup and that does not include any attractions.... Shanghai in my opinion would be batter served to just expand their current park... The scale is massive and can hold throngs more people than the Magic Kingdom...

BrianLo

A second gate requires a billion dollars in basic infrastructure... Yes you can make more money with 2 parks in most situations, but the investment in the startup of the second gate will take decades to recoup and that does not include any attractions.... Shanghai in my opinion would be batter served to just expand their current park... The scale is massive and can hold throngs more people than the Magic Kingdom...

Though significantly less than the resort itself was to build originally. Some of the serious infrastructure is in place already, a surface parking lot expansion would need to occur. Some of the backstage can be shared with its neighbour. Not to minimize, but there's significantly less new infrastructure than Epic would require.

I question the decades (plural) timeframe though. Separate gates extends lengths of stays, which is great for their hotel business.

MR.Dis

Please tell me you’re not that naive?
Naive no, I am a capitalist. You have to spend money to make money. Universal is not going away, and if Epic is as popular as they hope that another park will be built. Disney needs to pick up their game. The decisions and Action need to happen quickly to keep their hold on the public. One of my favorite sayings is tomorrow is promised to no one, Disney should have this engraved in their board rooms as inaction will ultimately be their doom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom