News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

UNCgolf

Do you have kids?

My son is coaster-adverse which takes Hulk and Velosicoaster off the table. Similarly, the drops for Ripsaw Falls and Jurassic Park River Adventure make those non-starters, too.

Hagrids is at the top of his current tolerance level, helped, I'm sure by the dark ride elements incorporated into it.

As a result, there is a lot lacking for us currently in IOA.

USF, on the other hand, he'll do almost all of. Won't go near Rip Rocket Ride (which I'm okay with) and has done Mummy but usually won't.

Personally, I'd be fine seeing the Jimmy Fallon attraction go but he loves it. He's never seen the tonight show but he likes the humor of the ride. He's also never seen a FATF movie but really loves the preshow parts of that (again, the humor) and the ride reminds him of GTA (which he isn't allowed to play but has watched his older cousins play).

ET may be one of his favorite rides ever*.

A lot of adults here talk about how much of a disappointment the new Minions attraction is but he'd ride that all day trying to unlock all the upgrades from the quests in the Universal app if he didn't have to wait a half hour for each ride-through.

The Dreamworks update to the kidzone area, I suspect he will be too old for but I imagine will be very popular with the younger set that can't or is too afraid to do most of what's at IOA, too.

Point with all of this is, I think different demographics view the two parks differently. If they put the Harry Potter section of IOA in USF along with Spiderman, I think he'd be willing to part with Seuss Landing and never go back to IOA again**... or at least until his mid to late teens, whichever comes first. ;)

Not to say it doesn't need work. I just don't think it's that behind IOA in either park's current state and in some cases, absolutely is someone's preferred park.

*I, having grown up with the original ET move being a phenomenon, have never liked this ride. Even when I was still a kid and this park was new. I really don't know what his affection for it is other than it being a much more impressive alternative to Peter Pan... and maybe that's really what it is. Also, I agree with the general consensus about FATF. Not sticking up for that one at all - just pointing out an 11 year old likes it.

**For his aging grandmother that has gone on family trips, there's very little in IOA she even can do for health reasons, regardless of if she wants to or not.

I like the E.T. ride -- it's one of the few Universal attractions I enjoy. There's not much I care about at IoA either.

But USF is a wasteland for the average guest (the attraction lineup there was much stronger in the 1990s than it is now), and people with young kids are generally better served at WDW overall. I don't see many people with kids in that age group skipping a Disney park to go to USF.

It's not really a concern for Disney, which was my only point (had nothing to do with my personal preferences). I'm sure there are people that prefer USF to IoA, but they're minority -- and I'd be shocked if most of them don't prefer any of the four Disney parks to USF. I believe USF is rated by the general public as the worst of the 6 main Universal/WDW parks by a relatively wide margin.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

Would 5th gate be part of $60b investment? Or is it much further in the distance?
The Parks division is only seeing 50% of that $60b, so all parks properties have $30b worldwide to share. One part that the company needs to clarify is if current ongoing capital investments are tied in to the $60b figure or if these are entirely new projects.

That being said if they wanted to budget it in, they can. Even when adjusted for inflation; the work originally planned for the Epcot in 2017 is a $2.3B today and that involves shelved projects (SSE; Imagination) and outright cancelled projects. If history is a good indicator, it was reported that it was $2.3b for Citywalk and IOA, the parking garages and hotels at UOR that when you adjust for today is $4.7b. So if Disney were to spend $15b of that $30b domestically they easily can add a fifth gate. And luckily for Disney; they already own the land that they could use so there is a cost savings that Universal didn't have.

Now for the timeline, it depends on how comfortable they are to move forward on all of it, and for a greater purpose how the state goes on forward and attendance. That all being said, in 2023 Iger stated that WDW was planning on adding 13,000 jobs over the next ten years. If its worth anything, the 2022 entire workforce number for Universal Orlando was 28,000 people among 8 hotels and 3 parks.

MouseEarsMom33

The Parks division is only seeing 50% of that $60b, so all parks properties have $30b worldwide to share. One part that the company needs to clarify is if current ongoing capital investments are tied in to the $60b figure or if these are entirely new projects.

That being said if they wanted to budget it in, they can. Even when adjusted for inflation; the work originally planned for the Epcot in 2017 is a $2.3B today and that involves shelved projects (SSE; Imagination) and outright cancelled projects. If history is a good indicator, it was reported that it was $2.3b for Citywalk and IOA, the parking garages and hotels at UOR that when you adjust for today is $4.7b. So if Disney were to spend $15b of that $30b domestically they easily can add a fifth gate. And luckily for Disney; they already own the land that they could use so there is a cost savings that Universal didn't have.

Now for the timeline, it depends on how comfortable they are to move forward on all of it, and for a greater purpose how the state goes on forward and attendance. That all being said, in 2023 Iger stated that WDW was planning on adding 13,000 jobs over the next ten years. If its worth anything, the 2022 entire workforce number for Universal Orlando was 28,000 people among 8 hotels and 3 parks.
Thanks for the details. I heard estimates that Epic Universe will be a couple billion, so I also think a 5th park is possible if they decide to invest heavily in domestic parks. I'm curious about DeSantis's comment about Disney adding another park. It's almost like Disney potentially shared plans to get the state to settle. I felt like Desantis wasn't hinting to Disney, but instead hinting to the state of Florida.

MrPromey

I like the E.T. ride -- it's one of the few Universal attractions I enjoy. There's not much I care about at IoA either.

But USF is a wasteland for the average guest (the attraction lineup there was much stronger in the 1990s than it is now), and people with young kids are generally better served at WDW overall. I don't see many people with kids in that age group skipping a Disney park to go to USF.

It's not really a concern for Disney, which was my only point (had nothing to do with my personal preferences). I'm sure there are people that prefer USF to IoA, but they're minority -- and I'd be shocked if most of them don't prefer any of the four Disney parks to USF. I believe USF is rated by the general public as the worst of the 6 main Universal/WDW parks by a relatively wide margin.

In the 90's they had the Murder She Wrote experience where Transformers is now.*

In the interest of an honest and informed conversation, what does the makeup of your party visiting the parks look like?

I'm not looking to get a "gotcha" in here with you or anything but I'm guessing it's very different from mine and if we can confirm that, I might be able to help you understand why it really doesn't matter what the next ride Disney opens is like when it comes to getting me and other people in my general demographic to come back.

I'll start: It's usually me and my now 11 year old son and sometimes a friend of his but occasionally, my mother tags along and very rarely, his mother, who has anxiety issues in crowds also goes. (one or the other - never both his and my mom at the same time)

*I know that's a cheap shot but I couldn't help myself ;)

Indy_UK

So Igers answer to Epic Universe is that they’ve known about that park for the last 10 years and in that time they’ve build everything they have done? Ok Bob, sure, they were answers to Wizzarding World and a decade of park neglect.

Can tell we are business as usual with Iger

BrianLo

This doesn’t need clarification. It includes any capex that occurs after Oct 1, 2023 through Sept 30, 2033. The treasure, adventure and destiny, for example, are all largely capacity expansion capex under the plan. Or WDSP would be the next significant one in the lineup.

The parks division is seeing upwards of 80%, of which 50% is earmarked for ‘capacity-expanding investments’. While largely made of maintenance for resorts and dry docks, it’s still parks spend.

It’s also rough guidance, not a hard and fast number. They have no clue what they are doing at the tail end.

Rosso11

Iger clarified some of this yesterday. The 50% is for increasing capacity. Parks are seeing above that 50% for maintenance of existing parks and resorts. So they should actually be seeing well above $30b. As far as existing projects I would assume any that were still under construction at the beginning of this fiscal year are included from that time on.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This doesn’t need clarification. It includes any capex that occurs after Oct 1, 2023 through Sept 30, 2033. The treasure, adventure and destiny, for example, are all largely capacity expansion capex under the plan. Or WDSP would be the next significant one in the lineup.

The parks division is seeing upwards of 80%, of which 50% is earmarked for ‘capacity-expanding investments’. While largely made of maintenance for resorts and dry docks, it’s still parks spend.

It’s also rough guidance, not a hard and fast number. They have no clue what they are doing at the tail end.

The reason he said ten years was because they are projecting as much normal maintenance and infrastructure costs as possible under the shell.

There will be parks investments for sure…but people need to be prepared to be underwhelmed.

It’s possible - if he ever does leave - that Bob says all this stuff is planned and then bolts. So the next guy/girl can thin it out and he rides off like a hero.

Not at all unlike the little ferret

britain

This $60 billion in Parks & Experiences is just a way to project strength and confidence in the one profitable area when everything else you’ve poured MORE into (I’m looking at you Fox) hasn’t provided anything in return.

If films and tv were doing fine, they wouldn’t be talking about big parks investments …let alone actually making big parks investments.

It’s pretty misdirection. But it’s not anything they actually have to stick to as the decade progresses.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Would 5th gate be part of $60b investment? Or is it much further in the distance?
There will never be a 5th gate.

WDW may see a fraction of the $60B but most of it is going to France and China and cruise ships.

Thinking about it, if WDW sees any of this money it will most likely go to building new DVCs to "increase capacity".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom