News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

britain

Force Awakens is the 5th highest grossing movie of all time and The Last Jedi is the 19th - While I fully agree that their popularity doesn't match their box office success, "unproven" doesn't exactly paint the full picture. Which is part of what I mean by saying the situation is nuanced.

They threw 2 Billion dollars into the Galaxy's Edges because they genuinely thought people would want it, and had reason to think so, not because they figured guests would take whatever they gave them. GE was considered a prestige project and was intended to deliver, not to just throw guests a bone. There's a big difference between genuine miscalculation and an intentional whiff, and this was the former.

In retrospect, I think WDI (probably Trowbridge) and Chapek kept looking at the full spread of planned Star Wars offerings and thought it checked all the boxes, which it does IF you include the Hotel in the equation.

But keeping the live battles “exclusive” to the hotel really hurts the vibe of Batuu. There should be shootouts and lightsaber fights there every hour on the hour. No one would be complaining about missing Bantha rides or timelines if it was an exciting town rather than a sleepy town.

Mark Dunne

Fix imagination pavilion ! Re think adventure land, fix Tomorrowland's stitch's escape , laughter floor, and speedway! re do peter pan flight, to make an attraction worthy of 80 min queue. Disney doesn't need to build anything new, just look after what they have, how can they spend so much re imagining EPCOT, when nothing was spent on the Imagination area, bring figment back to 2ft dragon with a human dream finder interacting with him, not some 6ft wally falling over in a suit , honestly how can they get that so wrong . ☹️

ToTBellHop

In retrospect, I think WDI (probably Trowbridge) and Chapek kept looking at the full spread of planned Star Wars offerings and thought it checked all the boxes, which it does IF you include the Hotel in the equation.

But keeping the live battles “exclusive” to the hotel really hurts the vibe of Batuu. There should be shootouts and lightsaber fights there every hour on the hour. No one would be complaining about missing Bantha rides or timelines if it was an exciting town rather than a sleepy town.
Absolutely. It really wouldn’t be that hard to “fix” SWGE. It has the necessary bones.

Naplesgolfer

Fix imagination pavilion ! Re think adventure land, fix Tomorrowland's stitch's escape , laughter floor, and speedway! re do peter pan flight, to make an attraction worthy of 80 min queue. Disney doesn't need to build anything new, just look after what they have, how can they spend so much re imagining EPCOT, when nothing was spent on the Imagination area, bring figment back to 2ft dragon with a human dream finder interacting with him, not some 6ft wally falling over in a suit , honestly how can they get that so wrong . ☹️
I think you are wrong about them not needing anything new. they are probably 12-16 attractions low . They have 25% more guests and no net new attractions ( many worse if you gauge it by guest through put by hour). This has lead to the mess WDW is now. They haven't invested enough over the last 15 years and where they did invest, the money wasn't spent wisely. Almost as if they have lost the knowledge of how to run a theme park. The decision makers don't walk in their guests footsteps so they don't have a clue.

Disstevefan1

I think you are wrong about them not needing anything new. they are probably 12-16 attractions low . They have 25% more guests and no net new attractions ( many worse if you gauge it by guest through put by hour). This has lead to the mess WDW is now. They haven't invested enough over the last 15 years and where they did invest, the money wasn't spent wisely. Almost as if they have lost the knowledge of how to run a theme park. The decision makers don't walk in their guests footsteps so they don't have a clue.
I totally agree WDW needs more attractions, BUT now that they are selling Genie+, they are now incentivized NOT to add attractions.

Remember, Genie+ is money coming in that costs them absolutely nothing to make.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Based on current guest preferences and trends, all but AK have significant excess TS capacity. Wouldn't be shocked to see options removed - perhaps temporarily, at least - until they can juice attendance and "correct" guest spending trends.

If they've truly written off 2024, what's coming in 2025 that could juice attendance and "correct" guest spending? Maybe I'm just not seeing it but they haven't done a single thing in years to get anyone excited about the parks. TBA isn't moving that needle. Tron didn't move the needle. Did the misplaced GotG move the needle? Galaxy's Edge did a little, but the bungled opening (no Rise) really dampened things.

EeyoreFan#24

Bob Iger sheds light on Disney's response to upcoming Universal Epic Universe in Orlando​

The statistics answer based on “new offerings over a period of time” is not going to cut it. The “what have you done for me lately” look at a new universal park vs new Disney stuff announced in the short term is where it will be at.

Realistically both will be just fine either way. People will still spend their money on both of them.

Eric Graham

Being near the Four Seasons does nothing for you as a guest if you are at POR...lol You can't use the amenities, and the rooms are not Four Seasons quality...
Even Disney's Deluxe hotels like Grand Floridian ETC are not up to the Four Seasons quality...
We've stayed at the Waldorf Astoria.. They were so nice. They upgraded us to a lot bigger room. We could see the fireworks from our room. They were so very friendly and hospitable, and their food was so very tasty. The transportation was kind of lacking though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom