News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

BrianLo

I don’t disagree, but I also don’t think they will apportion an equal amount to each park. I don’t think they’re doing anything more with Epcot unless they absolutely have to. (Did you hear something? That sounds like the rickety clunk clunk clunk you hear every time you ascend or descend SSE).

We figure *something* is happening at DAK. They also just built SWGE and MMRR at DHS, so while they do need some added capacity, I’m not sure of the appetite there.

I figure MK, then DAK, then DHS, then maybe something at Epcot?

Oh ya, it’s not portioned that way at all, equally per park. But when you have to make up a number to present politically, it’s a clean way of pulling off a rough estimate.

The only number that we have so far that actually sticks out to me is DCL. Like I said up thread, ship orders could very well be under way and would spread well into the 2030’s. That number would be somewhat determined and known upfront with Meyer Werft.

I’d also be surprised if Epcot sees massive investment comparatively. It’s probably never getting a new ‘land’ and will just have single item projects moving forward. Which I mean, makes sense for that park.

Disstevefan1

SnakeOilIger60B.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t disagree, but I also don’t think they will apportion an equal amount to each park. I don’t think they’re doing anything more with Epcot unless they absolutely have to. (Did you hear something? That sounds like the rickety clunk clunk clunk you hear every time you ascend or descend SSE).

We figure *something* is happening at DAK. They also just built SWGE and MMRR at DHS, so while they do need some added capacity, I’m not sure of the appetite there.

I figure MK, then DAK, then DHS, then maybe something at Epcot?
Totally agree

They still suffer from lopsided distribution. It effects everything…from food and bev usage to transport to desirability/booking of onsite hotels.

That in mind…their priorities should be DAK…then Epcot…big gap…studios…then mk not even much on the radar.

And there should be no delay on the top 3…

That would repeating the same “strategy” that’s a mistake.

Wagers on if they realize it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh ya, it’s not portioned that way at all, equally per park. But when you have to make up a number to present politically, it’s a clean way of pulling off a rough estimate.

The only number that we have so far that actually sticks out to me is DCL. Like I said up thread, ship orders could very well be under way and would spread well into the 2030’s. That number would be somewhat determined and known upfront with Meyer Werft.

I’d also be surprised if Epcot sees massive investment comparatively. It’s probably never getting a new ‘land’ and will just have single item projects moving forward. Which I mean, makes sense for that park.
Honestly…I don’t see them spending half of what they say (adjusted for inflation which matters)…unless things break incredibly right

Tha Realest

Totally agree

They still suffer from lopsided distribution. It effects everything…from food and bev usage to transport to desirability/booking of onsite hotels.

That in mind…their priorities should be DAK…then Epcot…big gap…studios…then mk not even much on the radar.

I think the buildout at MK is a way to lean intro their strong position. I do wonder if they can handle much more capacity from a pure infrastructure standpoint (TTC/Bus to get to the gates). They do seem emphatic on continuing to build out MK, what with Tron and Beyond BTM.

From a numbers game standpoint, you have to consider they feel one of the “lesser” parks going to lose the most once Epic comes online.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the buildout at MK is a way to lean intro their strong position. I do wonder if they can handle much more capacity from a pure infrastructure standpoint (TTC/Bus to get to the gates). They do seem emphatic on continuing to build out MK, what with Tron and Beyond BTM.

From a numbers game standpoint, you have to consider they feel one of the “lesser” parks going to lose the most once Epic comes online.
It would be a mistake to build some trumped up “miniland” in magic kingdom if you aren’t doing bigger/more attractive things at the others.

But I bet they make that mistake. It’s a shame really…because I can think of dozens of people on this board who have ideas that could work better in the longterm and would work out business wise long run.

But no chance that wisdom
Will rule the day

BrianLo

Honestly…I don’t see them spending half of what they say (adjusted for inflation which matters)…unless things break incredibly right

Fair enough. Though it definitely won’t be further adjusted upward for inflation, they haven’t indicated that to be the case either.

While it represents a ‘doubling of investment’, it’s really only 150%, because of inflation.

Disstevefan1

Fair enough. Though it definitely won’t be further adjusted upward for inflation, they haven’t indicated that to be the case either.

While it represents a ‘doubling of investment’, it’s really only 150%, because of inflation.
Would it equate to negative investment if they do not invest in the parks and updated for inflation? ;)

All Iger needs to do is keep talking this up until he wins the poxy fight then forgetaboutit after that.

UNCgolf

Totally agree

I think Studios is in the worst shape by far -- I'd say there's a gap even between it and DAK, and then a bigger gap between it and EPCOT. It has very little to do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Studios is in the worst shape by far -- I'd say there's a gap even between it and DAK, and then a bigger gap between it and EPCOT. It has very little to do.
Well I got bad news for you there…the only reason they did all that stuff at studios - which ended up about net even - was for bobs “legacy” build program. It was a monument to himself.

Which means as long as the same structure is in place…it will be last on the list.

He already “did enough”…because no mistakes are ever made.

…I know…I know…I’m a kook. It’s all made up. So ignore me now and then be amazed when the same thing is written by some ex- imagineer 10 years down the road 🙄

UNCgolf

Well I got bad news for you there…the only reason they did all that stuff at studios - which ended up about net even - was for bobs “legacy” build program. It was a monument to himself.

Which means as long as the same structure is in place…it will be last on the list.

He already “did enough”…because no mistakes are ever made.

…I know…I know…I’m a kook. It’s all made up. So ignore me now and then be amazed when the same thing is written by some ex- imagineer 10 years down the road 🙄

Oh I don't think they're going to build anything at DHS any time soon. They've spent a bunch of money on it recently, so it's probably at the bottom of the list other than maybe EPCOT (even though the big EPCOT re-do ended up adding very little).

I just think it needs stuff more than any of the other parks at the moment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh I don't think they're going to build anything at DHS any time soon. They've spent a bunch of money on it recently, so it's probably at the bottom of the list other than maybe EPCOT (even though the big EPCOT re-do ended up adding very little).

I think we’re both right (not the first time 🤪)

J4546

I agree I think dhs is the worst park in FL and needs the most work, but after star wars, tsl, and mmrr I don't think they will get as much as the others.

EricsBiscuit

This is missing some context - there was a concept pitched for a Castle-ified version of its a small world as the icon of the park:

View attachment 773154

It also didn't happen, so it seems hard to hold against them.
It would have been an obvious cost saving measure. The park was built on the cheap and it showed on its opening day roster. The IASW “theme” is cheap cover for a centerpiece like the castle.

yensidtlaw1969

It would have been an obvious cost saving measure. The park was built on the cheap and it showed on its opening day roster. The IASW “theme” is cheap cover for a centerpiece like the castle.
I mean, I'm not even sure I'd agree it would have been "an obvious cost saving measure" - building an empty Sleeping Beauty Castle had to be cheaper than building a full version of its a small world with a Castle facade that's more elaborate than the standard one. Choosing not to open the park with a version of small world and saving it for future expansion seems much more like an obvious cost saving measure.

Given the artistic notability of its a small world, to me it seems like a legitimate aesthetic approach to consider what a small world-style Castle might look like as the centerpiece for a new park.

But even if you disagree with that, complaining that it "would have been an obvious cost saving measure" seems sort of strange when they didn't even do it.

BrianLo

Would it equate to negative investment if they do not invest in the parks and updated for inflation? ;)

You could call it negative if they fail to spend 18 billion, which seems to be their maintenance capex. A reduction would be anywhere between that and about 45-ish billion. An increase is above that threshold.

Now even if we somehow come out the other side and they’ve spent 45, that would be similar levels across their entire portfolio to the prior 10 year period, post inflation. That doesn’t imply equity. I think it is widely regarded that the prior ten year run was more focused on Asian park expansion. This one already seems to be heavier in DCL.

At which other resorts detriment? Well hopefully none if they stick on the ‘increased’, aka 60B end of things.

Fido Chuckwagon

I do wonder if they can handle much more capacity from a pure infrastructure standpoint (TTC/Bus to get to the gates).
The TTC can handle more capacity. The ferries have a huge throughput and they can add buses as needed. The parking lots are not filling up even on crowd level 10 Christmas days. Now the resort monorail loop is another story, not sure how the new poly tower is going to shake out there.

John park hopper

Six months ago Bob announced they were going to spend 60 billion and still no word as to where or what it was to be spent on. One would think if this was for real and not more Bob BS they would have a plan in place before this was announced. Fool me once shame on you --fool me twice shame on you Bob.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom