News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Gusey

I'm hoping they do actually invest in Disneyland Park at Disneyland Paris as part of this "60 billion". The last new ride in that park was Buzz Lightyear in 2005 (20 years ago), and last expansion was Space Mountain in 1995 (30 years ago)! Whilst it's good that they are investing in Walt Disney Studios Park at DLP, its been too long since that Disneyland Park received a new attraction that wasn't a new show

Cliff

Yep and people are still willing to pay for the same old rides and rides broken down and out of service. Until that change Disney will keep the status quo
Yes!,...this is 100% true! People just keep flocking to WDW every year. It's like the great wildebeest heard in the Serengeti. These animals heard and migrate together by the zillions. They have been doing it for a hundred thousand years and you can set your watch by it EVERY year. WDW is a mass migration destination for countless guests.

WDW enjoys this blind fan loyalty no matter how much Disney screws up. So,...why does Disney need to spend money on upkeep, maintenance and new expenses? The hoards of "normie" fans don't really care or are bothered enough to "not" go to WDW!

We all here are "legacy fans" in Disney's eyes. We notice EVERYthing! We notice every hidden detail and,..like Josh said,..we notice when Disney moves a tree in the parks. But folks,...we are only 1% of the guests at WDW. The other 99% are "normal" people who just don't give a damn the way WE do.

Why will Disney spend valuable money and bend over backwards to keep the 1% of their complaining, hard to please, "Legacy Fans" happy? Just cater to the zillions of common, run of the mill, normie guests.

Seriously,...if you removed all the historic names form the shops in Main Street....99.9% percent of Disney guests today wouldn't even notice that!...and the very few that did would say:

"Oh,...so what, I don't know any of those names and I don't care anyway. I'm here to get a selfie at the Castle and with Mickey Mouse for Instagram"

So if 99% percent of Disney's WDW guest revenue doesn't care...why should Disney? Yes, they know this and they know they can get away with cutting back costs ALL they want,...and the hoards of "normie" guests will keep on coming.

Yes, WDW is almost bulletproof and it leans HEAVILY on the blind loyalty of the common and PLENTIFUL, easy to please, "normie" guest. These people outnumber us 100 to 1. These people are now Disney's core, target customer and it CLEARLY is working for the Park's business model.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They always were.
1707412588128.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not saying that Disney doesn't need new rides (they need a lot of them) but there is still plenty of people who have yet to see SWGE or will go and love riding Peter Pan and Pirates because they haven't been in 5 years.

Now, a lot of those people are being pushed to other vacations because of cost. So WDW market is shrinking. I think they know this, it's the only park/experience that is not growing.
You know…I think I agree with almost every word…

Now I’m gonna drive to the ocean to see if the Seas are boiling?

Be back in like an hour 🤪

JIMINYCR

"As I've said before, we also have so many untapped stories just waiting to be brought to life in our parks across the globe as we continue to invest in this extraordinary business."

Well Bob, weve been tapping our foot for some time now waiting for some kind of positive action to happen.

tenor.gif

jpinkc

"As I've said before, we also have so many untapped stories just waiting to be brought to life in our parks across the globe as we continue to invest in this extraordinary business."

Well Bob, weve been tapping our foot for some time now waiting for some kind of positive action to happen.

View attachment 767421
You will be waiting a LOOOOOONGG, Time as any good to great imagineers have died or left, and most of the legends still around wont touch Disney with a 10 Mile Pole

rd805

Real question. Do these big proclamations by Iger actually move the needle or are people starting to see through this obvious BS spewing from his pie hole since he returned?

I think the more this keeps happening, the more frustrated fans are getting. I'm not talking the super fans (like us), but it's now getting to a point where more casual disney park goers are noticing the constant day dreaming and moving the goal post.

JD80

View attachment 767421

Frozen and Zootopia overseas is sitting right there waiting for you to book flights.

erasure fan1

60 billion worldwide will never happen. These future "plans" are getting more ridiculus every quarter. In October 2024, we should hear more about the 500trillion being invested througout the galaxy in the next 25 years. A real galactic cruiser blue sky plans. Disneyland on Mars. Eat it up.
Wait, you didn't hear? Mission space is actually going to take you to Mars. It's going to be fantastic!!!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I'm not saying that Disney doesn't need new rides (they need a lot of them) but there is still plenty of people who have yet to see SWGE or will go and love riding Peter Pan and Pirates because they haven't been in 5 years.

Now, a lot of those people are being pushed to other vacations because of cost. So WDW market is shrinking. I think they know this, it's the only park/experience that is not growing.
costs rising, things being taken away, not much if anything being added, more complicated to go (park reservations, G+, etc.).... not a good combo especially with a new theme park opening soon down the road

JD80

costs rising, things being taken away, not much if anything being added, more complicated to go (park reservations, G+, etc.).... not a good combo especially with a new theme park opening soon down the road

Well, there aren't park reservations anymore, so it's less "complicated" than it was 2 months ago.

So here's something to think about but this is all just me thinking out loud about Epic Universe and how it impacts Orlando as a whole as a destination ecosystem.

Let's list all the attractions at EU:

Celestial Park: Starfall Racers (coaster), Constellation Carousel (flat ride)
Super Nintendo World: Mario Kart (dark ride), Yoshi Adventure (dark ride) Mine Cart Madness (coaster)
Dark Universe: Frankenstein (dark ride), Werewolf (coaster)
Potter: Battle at the Ministry (dark ride)
HTTYD: Wing Gliders (coaster), Dragon Racers (spinner?), Dyre Drill (boat/dark ride)

Coasters: 4
Dark Rides: 5
Flat Rides: 2

That's 11 rides not including 2 stage shows.

Epic Universe is going to garner A LOT of hype. Brand new park, probably going to look awesome and have some great experiences. But it's 11 rides. That's Hollywood Studios. After 6? 12? months is there going to be a narrative that there isn't a lot to do at EU and it's a 1 day park? People consider DHS a half day park! (I'm not comparing ride quality, just quantity)

There is an argument to be made that EU might have the same impact (if not greater) on WDW as them adding a new ride. If there is some kind of data that people are going to less parks at WDW because of cost, i.e. skipping AK or DHS or Epcot during their stay (I believe @lentesta asked the same question) then EU might give people an excuse to book a (shorter) WDW vacation to see EU when they weren't going to book an Orlando trip at all.

Just speculation but it depends on what happens on social media and what travel agents pick up on with guidance. Is EU worth at least 2 park days out of maybe 5 full days in Orlando (6N/7D stay)? Or is worth 1 along with 4 other days to do something. Is that 4 other days WDW?

I'm curious to see how the ecosystem reacts after the dust settles after opening.

Jrb1979

Well, there aren't park reservations anymore, so it's less "complicated" than it was 2 months ago.

So here's something to think about but this is all just me thinking out loud about Epic Universe and how it impacts Orlando as a whole as a destination ecosystem.

Let's list all the attractions at EU:

Celestial Park: Starfall Racers (coaster), Constellation Carousel (flat ride)
Super Nintendo World: Mario Kart (dark ride), Yoshi Adventure (dark ride) Mine Cart Madness (coaster)
Dark Universe: Frankenstein (dark ride), Werewolf (coaster)
Potter: Battle at the Ministry (dark ride)
HTTYD: Wing Gliders (coaster), Dragon Racers (spinner?), Dyre Drill (boat/dark ride)

Coasters: 4
Dark Rides: 5
Flat Rides: 2

That's 11 rides not including 2 stage shows.

Epic Universe is going to garner A LOT of hype. Brand new park, probably going to look awesome and have some great experiences. But it's 11 rides. That's Hollywood Studios. After 6? 12? months is there going to be a narrative that there isn't a lot to do at EU and it's a 1 day park? People consider DHS a half day park! (I'm not comparing ride quality, just quantity)

There is an argument to be made that EU might have the same impact (if not greater) on WDW as them adding a new ride. If there is some kind of data that people are going to less parks at WDW because of cost, i.e. skipping AK or DHS or Epcot during their stay (I believe @lentesta asked the same question) then EU might give people an excuse to book a (shorter) WDW vacation to see EU when they weren't going to book an Orlando trip at all.

Just speculation but it depends on what happens on social media and what travel agents pick up on with guidance. Is EU worth at least 2 park days out of maybe 5 full days in Orlando (6N/7D stay)? Or is worth 1 along with 4 other days to do something. Is that 4 other days WDW?

I'm curious to see how the ecosystem reacts after the dust settles after opening.
My thought is once EU opens Universal will start vacation packages were ticket prices will be cheaper after the 4th day. I can see it being $130 for a ticket to EU but if you add-on 4 day tickets to a Universal vacation it drops to $90.

Universal is going to do everything in their power to make it a 5 day visit.

Cliff

Yes. They will most definitely expand ride capacity so people wont have to stand in long lines thus decreasing the need for Genie+.

wait...
Y'know,...all our complaints are NOT "Disney's" fault. Every single thing that drives us crazy is just Disney's reaction to "our" consumer habits.

Genie+ - We don't like it? So what,..customers buy into it and it doesn't hurt parks attendance or profit.
No new Parks investment? - So what, that's not stopping hoards of people from going to the Parks...so why spend the money? It's just not worth it for them.
Reservation system? - You don't like it? Too bad, hoards of people use it and go anyway.
Latest attractions don't inspire you? - Nobody cares, park numbers are strong regardless.
Don't like Disney's activism and politics? - Sorry, 99% of Disney's guests don't follow Disney that closely or care enough to not go to the parks. 99% of the guests don't care if Walt is turning in his grave.
Attractions down, maintenance problems and parks not clean? - Nope,...99% of the money walking into the gates do not care and that does not stop them. Most barely pay attention enough to notice old paint and dirt and filth.

Disney is reacting to customer spending habits. As long as people have blind devotion to the Parks, Disney will keep doing EXACTLY what it is doing today. Change must start with CUSTOMER "spending" first. Complaining on social media does nothing. Refusing to go to the parks in extremely high numbers....now THAT forces Disney to react to the market.

We as consumers FUEL and POWER Disney. As long as the Parks are well-fed and fat with guest's revenue?...they have NO "FINANCIAL" REASON to change or improve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom