News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

lazyboy97o

I'll bet my left kidney the parks get new capacity.

Friendly reminder of new major capacity (not lateral) additions over the last 5 years:

Disneyland Galaxy's Edge (2019)
Epcot's Ratatouille (2021)
Disney Wish (2022)
Disneyland MMRR (2023)
MK's Tron (2023)
Shanghai's Zootopia (2023)
Hong Kong's Frozen (2023)

And we're about to enter a phase where the parks receive substantially more investment? Of course, they're going to create a lot of new capacity.

A lot of the glaring redevelopment necessities have been fulfilled (the bones are good), so now we can enter a new era of capacity additions.
Only Ratatouille and TRON were really intended as providing some additional capacity to the parks. The others were intended to induce demand which negates the added capacity.

doctornick

I would be surprised if there isn’t some substantial new capacity added to WDW in the next 5-10 years. Probably something beyond thunder mountain, maybe something new in WoL or SGE, building into the backstage at Animation Courtyard, etc.

However, I also expect that the ration of expansion to replacement will be off. It should be something like 80% to 20% but will probably be the reverse.

The classic case right now is Dinoland USA which doesn’t need to be replaced but instead DAK needs additional stuff overall

SplashJacket

Only Ratatouille and TRON were really intended as providing some additional capacity to the parks. The others were intended to induce demand which negates the added capacity.
I'm sure when Disney greenlit Ratatouille and Tron they were like "I love how unpopular these IPs are! No one will come to visit these boring attractions! Yay us!"

Capacity is not a measure of crowdedness. Capacity is a measure of how many people can visit the park.

All of those expansions increased capacity while also increasing demand.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure when Disney greenlit Ratatouille and Tron they were like "I love how unpopular these IPs are! No one will come to visit these boring attractions! Yay us!"

Capacity is not a measure of crowdedness. Capacity is a measure of how many people can visit the park.

They were panic additions to deal with the failure of NextGen to significantly push off the need for capacity. They were [relatively] quick and cheap.

The whole reason capacity is an issue is because of crowding and Disney’s deliberate efforts to increase crowding. Adding capacity doesn’t address the associated guest satisfaction issues if crowding is maintained. They need to increase attractions per guest per hour and inducing a bunch more demand won’t do that.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

Actually they were thinking “oh we already have the blueprints for these so let’s save money and just cram them in somewhere but spread it out over 5 years too”

Cliff

Anyone want to wager the over under on actual new rides going into the parks over the next 10 years that will truly add capacity? Not refurbs, overlays, reimagined, replacements, meet and greets, shows, cupcakes, preview centers, ect... Actual new rides on currently undeveloped expansion pads.
That 60 billion includes 2 or 3 new cruise ships and another large chunk is going to Asia parks. How much will be left for WDW and Disneyland? I dunno. Luckily,...a new Board can change this future plan radically.

Peltz is demanding MORE parks investment and we know that Elon Musk is a huge personal lifetime fan of traditional Disney Parks. (If Musk wants to get involved with Peltz)

even if Iger "started" after D23 Expo at the end of the year on something new and big?...it would take them 5-6 years to build it. That means 2029-2030 before we see anything?

Splash4eva

Anyone want to wager the over under on actual new rides going into the parks over the next 10 years that will truly add capacity? Not refurbs, overlays, reimagined, replacements, meet and greets, shows, cupcakes, preview centers, ect... Actual new rides on currently undeveloped expansion pads.
Perfect Super Bowl prop bet. Will there be more TDs on Sunday or rides built in WDW over the next 4 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll bet my left kidney the parks get new capacity.

Friendly reminder of new major capacity (not lateral) additions over the last 5 years:

Disneyland Galaxy's Edge (2019)
Epcot's Ratatouille (2021)
Disney Wish (2022)
Disneyland MMRR (2023)
MK's Tron (2023)
Shanghai's Zootopia (2023)
Hong Kong's Frozen (2023)

And we're about to enter a phase where the parks receive substantially more investment? Of course, they're going to create a lot of new capacity.

A lot of the glaring redevelopment necessities have been fulfilled (the bones are good), so now we can enter a new era of capacity additions.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news…
…he did it…so I don’t have to

Cliff

All of this "60 Billion over 10 years" turbo charge stuff is just more of the same Blue Sky dreaming talk that we have all been hearing in the past 3 years.

This is all coming from the same people that fought and struggled as HARD as they could for FIVE YEARS to build a county park with trees and benches in the middle of Epcot with LED lights, a water pump walk through attraction and a cool Walt Statue. Yeah,..these people are STILL working as hard as they can to finish the rest of it...hopefully this year?

So yeah,...these same people are bragging about a future 60 billion dollar plan and great things coming soon...so please buy our stock.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Incorrect

Replacements do not increase capacity…and they have needed capacity for 15+ years as is

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All of this "60 Billion over 10 years" turbo charge stuff is just more of the same Blue Sky dreaming talk that we have all been hearing in the past 3 years.

This is all coming from the same people that fought and struggled as HARD as they could for FIVE YEARS to build a county park with trees and benches in the middle of Epcot with LED lights, a water pump walk through attraction and a cool Walt Statue. Yeah,..these people are STILL working as hard as they can to finish the rest of it...hopefully this year?

So yeah,...these same people are bragging about a future 60 billion dollar plan and great things coming soon...so please buy our stock.
B3…you just sunk Bob’s battleship

Cliff

Remember,...increasing capacity also increases daily operational costs,..they very thing Disney want's to LOWER.

Guys,...every single penny of Parks revenue needs to be vacuumed OUT of the parks and given to the failing areas of the company. The Parks won't prosper until PIXAR, Lucasfilm, Marvel and other divisions are financially healthy again. Yeah,...the Parks are the life-ring that float the company. Other divisions are lead weight pulling it down.

Laketravis

Remember,...increasing capacity also increases daily operational costs,..they very thing Disney want's to LOWER.

Guys,...every single penny of Parks revenue needs to be vacuumed OUT of the parks and given to the failing areas of the company. The Parks won't prosper until PIXAR, Lucasfilm, Marvel and other divisions are financially healthy again. Yeah,...the Parks are the life-ring that float the company. Other divisions are lead weight pulling it down.

Exactly. You don't speak of the goose - only of those who benefit from the golden eggs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom