News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Bocabear

I thought it was replacing Launch Bay (i.e. the old Carousel of Progress building)
So that would have to be a VR experience...like what we already have here in FL without a "land" around it.... Unless they get rid of the speedway and the old peoplemover tracks...then they could build a little more out there....
I think putting money back into the Peoplemover with proper show scenes and a new more dynamic ride system would be a huge plus for the park... more than adding a clone of Pandora....

doctornick

So that would have to be a VR experience...like what we already have here in FL without a "land" around it.... Unless they get rid of the speedway and the old peoplemover tracks...then they could build a little more out there....
I think putting money back into the Peoplemover with proper show scenes and a new more dynamic ride system would be a huge plus for the park... more than adding a clone of Pandora....

Okay, but I don't know if that has to be a VR per se. I mean, it could be a walkthrough attraction. Or theater show (something like Stich's Great Escape setup). I'm not expecting a ride proper. Wasn't there some sort of banshee encounter they featured in China as part of the release of the second film?

But even something small that that is developed for DL would be ported to DAK if it isn't duplicative of stuff already in the land. And DAK needs any addition it can get, even if small.

Also, re: People Mover, I was under the impression that newer ADA or safety requirements make revising that a non-starter. MK's is grandfathered in as a functioning attraction, but to redo DL they would have to create multiple egress points from the ride path.

SpectreJordan

They wouldn’t keep saying “experience” if it was impressive. They’d say “attraction” or “ride” or “land”.
Is there enough room to potentially add Flights of Passage? It doesn't sound like they plan on it either way, but maybe they could if they really wanted to. It would suck that DAK loses exclusivity on its premier attraction, but they don't really seem to care about that anymore.

UNCgolf

Is there enough room to potentially add Flights of Passage? It doesn't sound like they plan on it either way, but maybe they could if they really wanted to. It would suck that DAK loses exclusivity on its premier attraction, but they don't really seem to care about that anymore.

Every current attraction at DAK is unique/exclusive to DAK, though -- I don't think cloning Flight of Passage elsewhere would a big deal.

I'd also push back on FoP being the premier attraction at the park, but that's subjective.

Bocabear

Well it also has a 90 second coaster.... So there is that.
Snark aside, it looks really beautiful...sadly it is exactly the same boat ride we have with the same poorly stages second floor scenes...I was hoping that starting from scratch they would add a lot more to it.... But it is pretty at least.
Wait, I exaggerated...it is about 56 seconds to the break run from the time the car starts moving..... Yikes.

UNCgolf

It's definitely not my favorite, I prefer Kilimanjaro & Everest. But the popularity leads me to believe its the premier attraction.

I'm not sure it's more popular than the Safari -- I believe the Safari gets the highest guest satisfaction ratings of any ride.

It does usually get longer wait times than KS, but that's mainly hourly capacity. NRJ sometimes has longer wait times than FoP because of that.

Regardless, I get your point.

ToTBellHop

Well it also has a 90 second coaster.... So there is that.
Snark aside, it looks really beautiful...sadly it is exactly the same boat ride we have with the same poorly stages second floor scenes...I was hoping that starting from scratch they would add a lot more to it.... But it is pretty at least.
Wait, I exaggerated...it is about 56 seconds to the break run from the time the car starts moving..... Yikes.
It’s short but it’s the prettiest kiddie coaster I’ve ever seen. But, I’m not sure that’ll matter to 3-year olds in a 90-minute line.

drizgirl

Anyone want to wager the over under on actual new rides going into the parks over the next 10 years that will truly add capacity? Not refurbs, overlays, reimagined, replacements, meet and greets, shows, cupcakes, preview centers, ect... Actual new rides on currently undeveloped expansion pads.
Not taking that bet. Disney is only interested in rearranging the deck chairs.

Tha Realest

Anyone want to wager the over under on actual new rides going into the parks over the next 10 years that will truly add capacity? Not refurbs, overlays, reimagined, replacements, meet and greets, shows, cupcakes, preview centers, ect... Actual new rides on currently undeveloped expansion pads.
I think we should also consider what the baseline is. Lots of entertainment has not come back. Does an “increase” in capacity mean you get to sunset stuff like the Play Pavilion, or Stitch, or Primeval Whirl? Because they’re in the hole from that baseline capacity as is.

SplashJacket

I'll bet my left kidney the parks get new capacity.

Friendly reminder of new major capacity (not lateral) additions over the last 5 years:

Disneyland Galaxy's Edge (2019)
Epcot's Ratatouille (2021)
Disney Wish (2022)
Disneyland MMRR (2023)
MK's Tron (2023)
Shanghai's Zootopia (2023)
Hong Kong's Frozen (2023)

And we're about to enter a phase where the parks receive substantially more investment? Of course, they're going to create a lot of new capacity.

A lot of the glaring redevelopment necessities have been fulfilled (the bones are good), so now we can enter a new era of capacity additions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom