News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

JMcMahonEsq

Mismatch is the name of Disney Imagineering at this point.

But yeah, my vision would definitely be Dr. Teeth (with Animal) doing the whole thing. I'm completely down with Animal taking front and center for the whole thing. Basically show up for their show, and off we go. It solves the IP mandate, and gives the ride even more repeatability. People ride Guardians just to get the one song they want. I know she's HUGE, but personally I'd never ride a Swift version (or other Pop star). BUT, give me the chance to hear like a Foo Fighters song and my kid gets to try to hear Swift, we are both going multiple times.
How long has it been since the Muppets were a main stream broad appeal IP?

Don't get me wrong, I grew up watching the Muppet show, and the Muppet movie (i guess in re-runs, as i didn't realize how old the were until i started typing this) but the movie and the tv show are now over 45 years old. I happened to like the HM special with the Muppets, but i don't see any kids of recent generations having a true connection (let alone a rainbow one) with the Muppets. If they are going to do a retheme, something that is going to last for any period of time, its likely better to not pick an something that in the next 10 years will almost be 60 years old.

denyuntilcaught

Rethere RnRC to Going to see powerline in concert and doing the perfect cast
I've always thought RnRC as Powerline was a terrific idea. Clear IP tie in, especially to a film whose popularity has grown in recent years. A really enjoyable, high octane soundtrack. Little to no concern about licensing.

The thought of going through loops with I2I blaring just sounds like a great time.

BrianLo

Swift just seems like something that wouldn't fit a fast-paced intense roller coaster. I'm no Swift fan (though my family sure is), but her music seems a bit to slow for that (YES, I'm sure she has more fast paced songs, but people go for the popular ones, and at least what I've randomly heard on the radio I'm not sure I see it, especially if you need like 4-5 songs). I still think the Muppets doing cover songs makes far and away the most sense. You can easily switch out songs without changing any of the preshow if you need to, and I'd guess it'd be hugely popular. Then, you can have like a Swift song, a more classic rock song, a newer rock song, etc. When a song or artist becomes less popular, the change is just getting a few voice actors doing a recording and grabbing new rights. Heck, I would DIE laughing if they start a song for the launch, go "No No No" and proceed to Rickroll random rides. Maybe 1 every 50 launches or something like that. Just feels that would give them WAY more creativity.

Oh she definitely has enough popular fast tempo'd ones for the ride.

I'd peg Shake it Off - beyond a shadow of a doubt, if they only used one song, this would be it.

Then 22, Bad Blood, Karma and Broken Heart. There are plenty of other options, but these are all very well known singles including two new ones.

MR.Dis

Mr Iger is not a stupid man. He has seen and read the negative comments on his leadership, specifically the WDW parks lack of attractions. If we look at the investments that are to be made, this is going to serve as Iger's legacy. Like any one who gets to a position of such prominence, his ego is pretty big. So for those of us who still go to the parks regularly, there is hope the soon to be ex CEO will want to leave something behind that he will hailed for in the years to come. Let us hope we get are socks knocked off with what is to come.

JoeCamel

Mr Iger is not a stupid man. He has seen and read the negative comments on his leadership, specifically the WDW parks lack of attractions. If we look at the investments that are to be made, this is going to serve as Iger's legacy. Like any one who gets to a position of such prominence, his ego is pretty big. So for those of us who still go to the parks regularly, there is hope the soon to be ex CEO will want to leave something behind that he will hailed for in the years to come. Let us hope we get are socks knocked off with what is to come.
Nah, Shanghai is his legacy

Stripes

Premium Member
Interesting.

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

flyerjab

Agreed. He tried to go out on a bang his last attempt at retiring. However, he ruined that with quite possibly the biggest mistake he ever made - Chapek. That move, combined with the unexpected pandemic, completely ruined his “epic” departure.

Now for his second attempt. At this point, the Asian parks are or have received some love. Disneyland Paris is in the midst of a largish refurb. What better way to send himself off than to claim some huge expansions to WDW and DL. And this time, he better not pull another Chapek.

Nubs70

Agreed. He tried to go out on a bang his last attempt at retiring. However, he ruined that with quite possibly the biggest mistake he ever made - Chapek. That move, combined with the unexpected pandemic, completely ruined his “epic” departure.

Now for his second attempt. At this point, the Asian parks are or have received some love. Disneyland Paris is in the midst of a largish refurb. What better way to send himself off than to claim some huge expansions to WDW and DL. And this time, he better not pull another Chapek.
Bob's first attempt at retirement was because of Covid. From his contacts in the CCP, the CCP response to Covid, the implied fatality rates in China, Bob freaked out. Bob bailed and put a figurehead in to take the "fall".

Dranth

What? Chapek was great.

Except for going overboard on streaming, clumsily fumbling around in public causing numerous issues both internally and externally, pausing and then slow rolling construction to the point where Disney build times are now a joke, alienating workers and talent, driving off and gutting Imagineering while bringing in industrial architects, restructuring the studios, not making ANY plans so we are stuck with blue sky presentations for years, overseeing the stock price being cut in half from its high, starting the chain of events that lead to the loss of RCID, implemented the "customers are too fat" portion cut backs and generally making a carboard box seem charismatic in comparison.

Of course, that doesn't include his stint as head of parks where he brought us such great ideas as homogenized and cheaply made park merch and significantly lower quality food.

Other than all that he was pretty good.

Last edited:

Dranth

Bob's first attempt at retirement was because of Covid. From his contacts in the CCP, the CCP response to Covid, the implied fatality rates in China, Bob freaked out. Bob bailed and put a figurehead in to take the "fall".
I'm sorry but evil genius Iger theory where he somehow sees far enough into the future to know he will be able to set Chapek up and return triumphantly to save the day is a bit to tin foil for reality.

Sure, he may have freaked out, but it is much more plausible he had been going back and forth between wanting to retire and not and when he saw Covid coming said screw it, I am just too burnt out to deal with this. Instead, he could hand off the major part of it and focus on the stuff he enjoyed for a few years while helping the new CEO.

My guess is once he saw Chapek start gutting the place and pushing massive restructuring he said this was a mistake and started to work to get him removed.

While it all amounts to the same, Chapek getting tossed and Iger returning, it wasn't some diabolical plan from the get-go. At MOST it was a thought in the back of his head that if Chapek fall on his face he could jump back in.

Lilofan

What? Chapek was great.

Except for going overboard on streaming, clumsily fumbling around in public causing numerous issues both internally and externally, pausing and then slow rolling construction to the point where Disney build times are now a joke, alienating workers and talent, driving off and gutting engineering while bringing in industrial architects, restructuring the studios, not making ANY plans so we are stuck with blue sky presentations for years, overseeing the stock price being cut in half from its high, starting the chain of events that lead to the loss of RCID, implemented the "customers are too fat" portion cut backs and generally making a carboard box seem charismatic in comparison.

Of course, that doesn't include his stint as head of parks where he brought us such great ideas as homogenized and cheaply made park merch and significantly lower quality food.

Other than all that he was pretty good.
Head of parks and convinced the Board to promote him to CEO.

Stripes

Premium Member
WDI has been posting a lot of applications for people to submit expressions of interest for roles that suggest major projects are coming to WDW. All of the EOI listings are either for both Glendale and Orlando or just Orlando. Also, LinkedIn is reporting that WDI has grown headcount by 10% in the past 6 months.

Here’s the listings currently open, although there’s been more that have since closed.

View attachment 791748
View attachment 791749
View attachment 791750
In the two weeks since I made this post, WDI has hired over 30 people. 6 month headcount growth is 12%.

In six months, WDI headcount has grown by 280.

They are growing like a weed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom